30 replies to this topic

#16 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

No chance Michele.
I always had to defend them from my husband. He was not allowed to open any of MY bottles.
A long time ago I bought a bottle the contents of which had 57 Vol. % and he said that he wanted to taste it.
I said that if he wanted to taste he had to buy a bottle for himself laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

Everyone could come and visit my museum and of course you'd get a drink, but not from the bottles of my collection biggrin.gif

#17 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

YES, all the bottles were full although some were leaking! Oh Lord, what did I do....I feel so guilty now.

#18 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

Bad friend, Jacky, bad friend !! tongue.gif

Note to self : One must always check the net first for values of collections before one gives advice . . .

Maybe you should shout your friend a good meal to relieve some of the guilt !

#19 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:11 AM

Daisy - Yes perfume ribbons. They look beautiful when displayed with perfumes, solids or in an album with the perfume cards. I prefer the Estee Lauder ribbons, but have others that I am beginning to place in perfume album.

Michele - you were right and I loved your remarks!

As for emptying the bottles, well I have to give my share of the Bailey's up darn it! I can't drink with my medicine. But ya'll don't tell my dr, I still have to take a sip of a margarita if someone orders it...or if I want it bad enough I order it then give it to someone at the table!! Any takers??

Brigette. I want to cry when I look at your collection. It is so remarkable! I especially love the grouped up little pigs in the farm with the butterflies flitting above. The way you arranged the strawberry shortcakes into a cake was very striking. The circus is absolutely breathtaking! I really enjoyed your very own Estee counter also!! If I ever can, I would love to visit Switzerland just to see your collection. You are blessed to have collected so many solids! Will you adopt me and leave your collection to me?

Well I'm off to sleep to dream of my solid collection one day being as wonderful as Brigette's! Sweet dreams all!!
Jenn

#20 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

Getting turned on to the site of Brigette's wonderful collection was the first and best perk I received upon becoming a member here. So many times I have visited over the years, always with enjoyment and amazement.

Other things I collect - have a large collecltion of solids other then Estees
1897 Amethyst Early American Patten Glass
Figurines - mostly Royal Worsceter
Majolica pieces (vases, pitchers, bowls etc ,
plus one outstanding figural)

Empty and trash (recycle) all liquor bottles promptly. After all - it shouldn't get stale.

Phyllis

#21 daisy

daisy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

Yes, I think we can all agree that Brigitte (sorry for spelling name wrong previously) is the queen of collecting biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif We should go all on a group trip to Switzerland and get drunk on her collections laugh.gif

I think collecting is a bug, I've only been collecting since earlier on this year, but already my eye is roving around for other things to collect though!! I'm just going to stick to Estee at the moment though, there is still too too many I want and that is where my pound is going!!!

It hasn't gone unnoticed neither that when I was younger I wouldn't have collected anything but clothes and shoes biggrin.gif Is it an age thing?? blink.gif

Sharon

#22 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

The problem I have with listing what else I might collect on this site or any other is: The second that information is on the net, the item(s) jump onto eBay, Ruby Lane, everywhere...at ridiculous prices. Why? Because re-sellers know what we are looking for. Why give them the upper hand? huh.gif

I've learned to keep my collection(s) to myself. ph34r.gif It's just a security thing...not everyone thinks it's necessary, but I do.

Phyllis - Let me know when you're ready to recycle...I'm there for you! laugh.gif

#23 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

Ditto, Zooey !

Remember a while back, it was so hard to get the Jester and the Standing Pig (amongst others) once they were mentioned as the desirables?

Funnily enough, I had a dream about a set of 'other things' that I collect, having it in my watch list on Ebay . . . well the set is only worth about say US$300.00 and in my dream, people kept bidding and bidding on it until it closed at an astronomical US$958.58 !!

When I logged into if the next day to see what it went for, it was around $428.00 - Still quite a bit more than I expected, but not as much as in the dream.

Anyway, good to see you back - how was your road trip?

#24 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Jun 7 2010, 05:59 PM)
Ditto, Zooey !

Remember a while back, it was so hard to get the Jester and the Standing Pig (amongst others) once they were mentioned as the desirables?

Funnily enough, I had a dream about a set of 'other things' that I collect, having it in my watch list on Ebay . . . well the set is only worth about say US$300.00 and in my dream, people kept bidding and bidding on it until it closed at an astronomical US$958.58 !!

When I logged into if the next day to see what it went for, it was around $428.00 - Still quite a bit more than I expected, but not as much as in the dream.

Anyway, good to see you back - how was your road trip?

View Post

I remember that well, especially the Standing Pig...which I wanted so very much at the time. Fortunately that wish has disappeared after watching the enamel on my Sitting Pig change colors. (He's now two-toned...pink and orange...most interesting.)

The road trip was what it was...bumpy...but fun. smile.gif No, we did not take my car. We took the one with brakes. laugh.gif

#25 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

Yes, it was mentioned that his brother the Standing Pig also had that hereditary 'flaw' of tone changing on his behind. I think he went brown . . . although it may be also thought of as 'orangey'. cool.gif

#26 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:30 PM

Well collecting licquor bottles hummmmm....... just so happens that I have in my possession 3 of the ONLY 36 bottles made of White Star Vodka. This is actually Belvedere vodka but the Moet Hennessey company was changing the name due to a leagal issue. They manufactured 3 cases with the new name and then bought the rights to the belvedere name. So they never had to change the name of the vodka. There was a huge ad campaign for the new name that cost the company tons of money. There are 2 articles on the internet to prove my story One of them you can read here:

http://www.downbythe...white-star.html

Needless to say I have been trying to sell at least one of them. Interesting story isn't it? Well if Brigette or anyone else is interested ...... please contact me.

#27 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

Brigitte,

Thanks for sharing.... I still love looking at your amazing collection!

#28 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(nyslzzle @ Jun 8 2010, 07:30 PM)
Well collecting licquor bottles hummmmm....... just so happens that I have in my possession 3 of the ONLY 36 bottles made of White Star Vodka. This is actually Belvedere vodka but the Moet Hennessey company was changing the name due to a leagal issue. They manufactured 3 cases with the new name and then bought the rights to the belvedere name. So they never had to change the name of the vodka.  There was a huge ad campaign for the new name that cost the company tons of money. There are 2 articles on the internet to prove my story One of them you can read here:

http://www.downbythe...white-star.html

Needless to say I have been trying to sell at least one of them. Interesting story isn't it? Well if Brigette or anyone else is interested ...... please contact me.

View Post

Wasn't the White Star a line of Cruise Ships? Was the Vodka made for their line?

#29 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Nope, There is a White Star champaign and it is made by the moet Hennessy company.
Are you thinking of the ship company that made the Titanic? LOL

My other half works for Moet Hennessy which is where we got the bottles. They are truly rare, as I said only 3 cases were made before they won the law suit and didnt have to change the name of Belevedere.

#30 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(nyslzzle @ Jun 10 2010, 04:31 PM)
Nope, There is a White Star champaign and it is made by the moet Hennessy company.
Are you thinking of the ship company that made the Titanic?  LOL

My other half works for Moet Hennessy which is where we got the bottles. They are truly rare, as I said only 3 cases were made before they won the law suit and didnt have to change the name of Belevedere.

View Post

YES! I just did a Google search on the Titanic/White Star Line...the good news is there's a 100th Anniversary Cruise coming up.

The Bad News is...it's 666 days from today. Creepy. Another reason not to go on a cruise, what with all the recent reports of women "falling" overboard late at night! ph34r.gif

I do believe there's a Spooky Story here...but it has to go under "General Discussions," even though we can use the EL Cruise Ship Solid Compact as a starter. AND the Bubbly!!! rolleyes.gif

Jacky...where are you?????????? Story time! laugh.gif

Edited by zooey, 11 June 2010 - 10:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users