• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

So - Considering it only sold for $250. new, guess the interest hasn't completely disappeared. Like everything else it has been affected the economy.

Now this is one that really has a saaaad memory for me. I was new to collecting at the time, standing at the EL counter and the SA was trying to sell me the Carousel and I was saying - but it's so expenseive. Walked away with out it instead of saying I'll take two. How many times do you think I have hit myself in the head for that stupidity. Will not even tell you what I paid for one two years later.

Phyllis

#17 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

ohmy.gif A thousand lashes with a wet noodle, Phyllis !! Outrageous !!

Don't worry, you have made up for it with a win in the raffle even though you weren't there! laugh.gif

I think each and every one of us has done similar or worse. I know I have. I paid a PREMIUM for most of my solids - read that as TRIPLE the retail ! Yeah, I must have hit myself in the head as many times as you have now ! dry.gif

It all comes back to you in other ways, so you have to forget it and move on . . . to kicking youself in the back side instead. laugh.gif

I reckon we should ask Jacky what her best (NOT !) trade was! laugh.gif

#18 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

Have to agree (again) with Phyllis. I believe it was the first solid to be priced so high and I, too, walked away from it. Duh! huh.gif Live and Learn, or something like that. More like live and then kick yourself in the bum!

#19 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

I walked away as well so........your not on your own

Margaret

#20 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:23 AM

I love in Roselyn Gerson's Estee book where she says that the only solids that a collector frets about is the one they didn't buy! dry.gif

(It's not a direct quote, but you get the jist. I'm too lazy to get up and get the book right now! It's early! )

#21 daisy

daisy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE(butterflies1219 @ May 29 2010, 11:23 AM)
I love in Roselyn Gerson's Estee book where she says that the only solids that a collector frets about is the one they didn't buy!  dry.gif

(It's not a direct quote, but you get the jist. I'm too lazy to get up and get the book right now! It's early! )

View Post

Ain't that the truth biggrin.gif

Sharon

#22 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(Sandra @ May 17 2010, 10:10 PM)
. . . so you think that the Carousel isn't worth $800.00 starting price?  Frankly, I'm still surprised though I see your reasoning . . .

If all the solids have lost more than half their value, then so does the Carousel . . . so, I guess we can go back to Daisy's question a while ago - what would be a fair price to pay for Rodney the 1st Bear? 

A few years back the carousel was way ahead of the bear, but does the bear beat the carousel in price now because he is limited?  blink.gif

View Post

I guess the latest result on ebay solves this - the 2001 Harrods Bear now goes for almost double the carousel now ???

Daisy - can you see why no-one can accurately answer your question about a 'fair price' for the 1st bear ?? If you were able to purchase one cheaper, then obviously you should be very pleased ! cool.gif

#23 daisy

daisy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Hi Sandra smile.gif

Unfortunately the only Rodders I have is the cuddly teddy bear rolleyes.gif

He is way out of my price range. sad.gif I think the last one I saw for sale though on Ruby Lane went for about the same price, so he does seem to be consistent.

What I don't understand is why Giles went for such a high price, while the 2003 bear went for a reasonable price. huh.gif

Anyway, own up if you bought Rodney.

Sharon

#24 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Yeah, I agree that was weird, but the auctions ended very close together, so the third one may have gone higher if there was a few more minutes in between.

#25 mostlyminis

mostlyminis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

Hi Sandra! Long time no see. I'm holding out hope that your carousel hangs on to its value or I'll feel bad!

#26 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:18 AM

Swings and roundabouts Sandra. Often I have missed out on items that I wanted due to other things getting in the way at the time. Sometimes I watch an item then lo and behold, I forget to check or am really busy and I miss the auction! I really am cross with myself when this happens.

Re prices of our solid, I must say again, that before we had the copies turning up and the empties from Canada etc., we never had the problem of items going for a song! Had that not happened, I really feel all the solids would be commanding their retail price plus............

Re memories, yes I agree. But not all memories I feel like keeping, so the solids that belong in that category, I list and really do not care if they sell high or low!

Was on the Baileys last night.......got to get more shut eye!

#27 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:31 AM

:lol: Hi Peggy ! Good to see you back here. Seeing your name on here posting brightens my day, you know !

Yes . . . the Carousel seems to have gone backwards from 6 years or so ago, and I appreciate your concern and hope for it to re-emerge as what it once was.

Don't worry - I still fondly remember the times we had back then and the great friendship and selflessness you showed me, and you can't put a price on that !

Anyway, keep wishing and don't feel bad !! B)

#28 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:52 AM

Re prices of our solid, I must say again, that before we had the copies turning up and the empties from Canada etc., we never had the problem of items going for a song! Had that not happened, I really feel all the solids would be commanding their retail price plus............

Oh ABSOLUTELY, Jacky ! I think the problem may have been before the copies though ! And I think before that this site had a lot more international members posting and other people saying 'hello'.

I always wonder what happened to those members . . . just losing interest and such because EL management decided to flood the market with their 'empties' rather than properly dumping them - I guess people decided then it was a waste of time and effort investing in them and the time spent coversing on this site and making friends was also wasted!

What a complete shame !! Although I sort of lost a bit of interest through paying too much for solids, I still came to this site because I value the friendships I made here. I miss 'seeing' a lot of old members?

(I was going to name them, but then it just got too sad). :(

#29 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

Yes, I apologize to everyone for not posting in quite awhile. Its been one of those summers for me in dealing with hail damage on the barn roof, someone damaging the chain link fence at our house in town (Wyoming) which we have no idea how that happened (its a classic hit and run thing) and hitting a deer going into town, therefore, totaling my car. This all happened these last couple of months (not a dull moment here :o), No one was injured except that deer and my car. The bright side is I got a new car! :D Now on to solids...I too have kicked myself for not getting certain solids, but have accepted this as part of our solid collecting. I did get the Carousel at retail when it was released, but for me that was worth it as that is one of my favorite pieces in my collection. Now on to the Fall/Holiday 2010 solids I can't say a lot at this point in time. There's not a lot of solids to choose from in both the Neiman Marcus or Saks stores this year. Yep, they are cutting back. I'll have to do some more studying on the web. Hey I can do that when the roofing guys come out and repair the roof. Better yet, how about EL producing another barn solid? :lol: Just kidding.

Gigi

#30 mostlyminis

mostlyminis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

I will keep wishing for you Sandra. I think of you often, even if I don't get here much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users