30 replies to this topic

#1 daisy

daisy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hi all biggrin.gif

Just thought I'd let all you moneybags out there know that there's a carousel on ebay.

Buy it now price $1,295 Bidding starts at $799.99

Way out of my league sad.gif

When oh when will my numbers come up lol

Daisy

#2 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:49 AM

Have patience Daisy. You never know when so keep watching your emails!

smile.gif

#3 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

At that price, it just fell off my "wish list." Anyone hear the thud?

#4 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:36 PM

heard it all the way over the pond...... laugh.gif

Margaret

#5 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

sad.gif Personally, although a hefty price tag, I think it is priced fairly, considering what we all paid for it a few years back ! It was all a bit mental then, wasn't it?

I wouldn't let mine go for cheaper than what I paid for it either ! biggrin.gif

#6 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE(Sandra @ May 16 2010, 06:39 PM)
sad.gif  Personally, although a hefty price tag, I think it is priced fairly, considering what we all paid for it a few years back !  It was all a bit mental then, wasn't it?

I wouldn't let mine go for cheaper than what I paid for it either !  biggrin.gif

View Post

Sandra - I'm going to speak very slowly here....

Put....the....Bailey's....away. It's squishing your brain. tongue.gif

#7 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

Wow, thanks for the big effort to speak slowly, Michele . . . I actually heard what you just said !

OK, I've put the Baileys down momentarily . . . so you think that the Carousel isn't worth $800.00 starting price? Frankly, I'm still surprised though I see your reasoning . . .

If all the solids have lost more than half their value, then so does the Carousel . . . so, I guess we can go back to Daisy's question a while ago - what would be a fair price to pay for Rodney the 1st Bear?

A few years back the carousel was way ahead of the bear, but does the bear beat the carousel in price now because he is limited? blink.gif

#8 daisy

daisy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

Hi Sandra biggrin.gif

Have all solids lost half their value? blink.gif

And if it's a daft question, my reasoning is that it is 2am. laugh.gif

Sharon

#9 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:20 AM

Noooooo! I do not agree as I recently sold a couple of Harrods solids on auction and they increased over their original retail price.

I did offer here on the site and would have taken less 's for them prior to putting up on auction.

So, getting back to the original question re value, some of the solids (and hopefully all) are beginning to creep back up I really wish I had the Carousel but who knows, I may find it whilst out hunting one of these days....

smile.gif

#10 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Did I say all the solids lost half their value? Did I? Huh? Did I? Noooooo.....jeezzzz, Sandra...you're one tough cookie, little one! ohmy.gif

If the Carousel had started out at, say, $99 with a reserve of possibly $500, then went to $800, I'd understand (although it would NOT be my bid.) But, this seller wants $1,295 straight out of the gate! Obviously, said Seller has lost touch with reality and the economy, although there will always be some determined Buyer willing to part with that much money for one Solid. And that's fine for them, but not for me.

I truly believe we're seeing an upswing in values on evilbay and other venues, so don't think for a second that the solids are only worth half of what we paid. They are worth what we paid, plus whatever memories came with them. Maybe that's the best part. You really cannot put a price on a memory, can you.

Of course, this is just IMHO. rolleyes.gif

#11 daisy

daisy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

It's up and running!!!

#12 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

If we are going to speak of value - how can we determine it except by what someone will pay for the item. By rarity, desirabliltiy? What is the rarest? How could we ever know since there are no records available to know how many were manufactured or sold. I think there may be more of the Imperial Princesses than the Carousel, but will never know. The 1994 spread wing butterfly seems to be one of the rarest. There only seems to be a very small number of the old faux bakelite ones. The 18kt gold ones are the only ones that are numbered. We just have to buy what we can't live without and what our pocket books permit. I say darn, or something unprintable, when I see one that is out of my reach. But I still admire it and hope by chance to someday find one that I can afford. Dreamer! I have to agree that the ones that mean the most to me are one that have a special memory attached. My family thinks I'm nuts. I can't really disagree with them.

#13 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(zooey @ May 18 2010, 04:39 PM)
Did I say all the solids lost half their value?  Did I?  Huh?  Did I?  Noooooo.....jeezzzz, Sandra...you're one tough cookie, little one!  ohmy.gif

View Post

Just hold on to your hat there, mate !!! (and others who have assumed my post meant all the solids are half their release value)

My post comment begins with "IF".

As in "If all the solids have lost more than half their value, then so does the Carousel . . . "

In my dictionary, 'if' is a supposition, not a fact.

And Jacky, you certainly know that one cannot put Harrods items in this bag or the DJ's items. These were only released in one store worldwide, so I do not include them in the equation here.

Basically I think we all know that we can get most solids for less than their retail price (bar the Tiger and Chinese Takeaway). And in fact, I have recently been able to buy more than I imagined at less than or half the retail price.

Ones I never thought I would own . . . or would have to wait longer for . . . or would have more competition in an auction for . . .

So many that I became suspicious and wondered if they were in fact the copies that Jacky spoke of in the stories we had been writing !

However, for the little amount I paid for them (all MIB!) I wasn't complaining. They all look like the real McCoy to me - all bought and sent from the US.

Phyllis - I think the same goes for a lot of us members on this site! We ARE all nuts !! laugh.gif OK, except for Michele ! tongue.gif

#14 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

I'm not nuts? blink.gif Sandra...you're too kind. Tell that to my Therapist and she'll laugh all the way to the bank! laugh.gif (Yes, she's still on speed-dial.)

And yes, Phyllis. LOTS of memories in most of my solids, as I'm sure there are in yours. You are NOT nuts and whatever solids you've purchased, it was money well spent. At least with what I invested in Solids, I get to enjoy. Whereas what I invested in stocks, well, heaven only knows where that went. Someone, somewhere is certainly enjoying the money, but not moi'.

So...solids were and are a good investment, as long as they mean something to you. I may not buy as many, but I will buy one if it "rings a bell." (So many bells, so little time! rolleyes.gif )

#15 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:42 AM

Well someone got a bargain with the Carousel !!

Only one bidder . . . why the sudden lack of interest with the Carousel ? ph34r.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users