• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(klassicguy1 @ May 15 2010, 09:44 PM)
IPBA Convention was the last of April. No news on solids at all, in fact, no solids sad.gif

Compact Convention on end of June in Chicago.  I don't know if we'll hear anything then either.  Will post if I find out anything.

View Post

Woody! You finally surfaced! {{{waving frantically}}}. Do you happen to know where the Convention is...and the times? Will have to fly so it cannot be more than 3 days as I plan to WEAR everything instead of paying extra for luggage! laugh.gif I'm SERIOUS! Oh dear...where do I stash all my shoes????

Anyhoo...happy to see you! smile.gif

#17 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

cool.gif You are a HOOT, Michele . . . and OMG, Woody - I DO think she is serious !! laugh.gif

#18 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(Sandra @ May 16 2010, 06:37 PM)
cool.gif  You are a HOOT, Michele . . . and OMG, Woody - I DO think she is serious !!  laugh.gif

View Post

Of course I'm serious. Plus have figured out the shoe dilemma. Am going to put about 6 or 8 pairs in a large box and ship it ahead! Priority!! The Hotel will hold the shipment for me.

When you think about it, it's probably much less expensive to MAIL your clothing whenever you fly. Gets there faster (and with Delivery Confirmation you sort of know where it is if it gets lost)...and lots less $. At $25 per bag, just cut back a little on what one "needs," box it up and ship it ahead of time. (Assuming you have a definite destination/lodging.)

Hope the weather's cool...and no long delays on the tarmac.

#19 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

wink.gif Yeah, and while you're posting, why don't you take out insurance 'just in case' it gets on the wrong plane and then at least you have money to buy some new stuff ! cool.gif

#20 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

I work for Fedex and it's amazing what people ship ahead. Golf clubs, skis, tennis rackets, it's endless. Good for business though, and all the hotels have storage for this stuff before the guests arrive. Does anyone remember when flying used to be so glamorous? Like back in the 60's-oops I'm giving away my age. Sadly it's not anymore...

#21 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(Sandra @ May 17 2010, 06:12 PM)
wink.gif  Yeah, and while you're posting, why don't you take out insurance 'just in case' it gets on the wrong plane and then at least you have money to buy some new stuff !  cool.gif

View Post

Have you any idea how many times we've gone to the Baggage Claim area, watched that carousel go around and around and around, only to realize OUR LUGGAGE WENT SOMEWHERE ELSE. Once it ended up in Hawaii...once in Zimbabwe. (Sp?)

This is why, for the last Convention we went to in LV, we DID use Fed Ex Overnight to get a box of solids to the Hotel And they all got there in beautiful condition with no lingering in a hot or freezing cold cargo area. (The temperatures in the Cargo Area change so quickly, was afraid of what it would do the the solid perfume.) AND, everything was insured so it was a relief to have that option.

Again, given the economy and the airlines extra fee's ($15 for oxygen if you're headed downward in a spiral motion, I've heard,) there is no way I'll pay EXTRA for anything on an airline, be it their stale pretzels and peanuts or warm soda. Oh...extra, also, for a little pillow.

No thank you...I'll just ship away!

#22 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

Michele - Are you serious about going to the CCC? I recently flew to Chicago on Southwest Airlines and they do not charge for bags. You might check if they serve your area.

Are some of our other members here going? The last time I went to this convention there were only three solid collectors, Woody, Katita and myself. We had fun buying from each other. Estee Lauder reps were there and had the new solids for sale. The rep from London took orders for theirs that were coming out later in the year. Does anyone know if EL will be participating in this years event?

I had a family emergency and did not make the IPBA the frist weekend in May. One of my friends who is a bottle collector called me from the showroom there and said one of the raffles was the EL Richshaw. I didn't have that so asked her to please buy 5 tickets for me. Can't believe it but I Won! Maybe the secret is don't attend - just send money for the raffles. laugh.gif

Phyllis

#23 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

Airlines are the biggest rip off under the sun. I booked two flights on line to the South of France for September. The cost of the return flights for two people was 86. Now we have the add ons

Taxes, fees and charges.........82-90
two cases..............................60-00
two airport on line check ins....20-00
credit card fee........................5-60

and if you add that up it comes to about 255...... mad.gif mad.gif its the biggest fiddle ever.

Now.... so I have been told one of our airlines is charging 1 to use the toilet

Margaret

#24 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(P.E.Parry @ May 18 2010, 06:14 PM)

One of my friends who is a bottle collector called me from the showroom there and said one of the raffles was the EL Richshaw. I didn't have that so asked her to  please buy 5 tickets for me.  Can't believe it but I Won! 
Phyllis

View Post

I LOVE that story, Phyllis !! Congratulations !!

#25 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

Margaret, our international flights don't charge for baggage. So come here instead of France!
Ar

#26 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(Ar @ May 18 2010, 09:40 PM)
Margaret, our international flights don't charge for baggage. So come here instead of France!
Ar

View Post

So...that means if I fly first to Heathrow and then on to O'Hare, there would be no charge for luggage? Would I get to use a little pillow for free?

Ar's right, Margaret. I think you should come here instead the south of France. smile.gif

#27 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hello Phyllis - Long time! Far too long! Am trying to work something out so we can go to Chicago but there is one little boy, a very special little boy, who is having a birthday on the 27th. (How could I have forgotten that?)

And if I'm reading Margaret's post correctly, the convention is the 25th, 26th and 27th. This could get complicated if we try to fly back early Sunday. Quite frankly, I won't have the strength (or desire) to make animals out of balloons or paint little faces/arms/legs with things like Rocket Ships and Princess Mansions. The Lightning Bolt was a true challenge last year. ohmy.gif

Soooo, it's probably a no-go for me/us if the dates are correct.

Congratulations on winning the Solid! What are the chances that would happen...that's such good news for such a nice friend!! Am VERY happy you won. smile.gif smile.gif

#28 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

Hi Everyone, Finally went to Harrods today to see what they have.

There are no new solids except for the 50th Anniversary one which we spoke about on the site. Seems like we will have to wait until September.

Otherwise there are the general lines which you will find in the States.

smile.gif

#29 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(Petals @ May 19 2010, 05:29 PM)
Hi Everyone, Finally went to Harrods today to see what they have.

There are no new solids except for the 50th Anniversary one which we spoke about on the site.      Seems like we will have to wait until September.

Otherwise there are the general lines which you will find in the States.

smile.gif

View Post

One less bell to answer. cool.gif

#30 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(chowlover2 @ May 17 2010, 07:26 PM)
Does anyone remember when flying used to be so glamorous? Like back in the 60's-oops I'm giving away my age. Sadly it's not anymore...

View Post

These days I hardly remember my name; however, I DO remember the '60's and air travel. (I was extremely young! laugh.gif ) And it WAS glamorous! Much different from now. No one would have dared to wear jeans. One dressed for the occasion!

I'd say it's safer now, but we're still using many of the same planes so do make sure the cover is on the fuel tank (it's usually under the wing) and ask the pilot if he has an iPhone or a Blackberry in his possession. We don't want him playing on-line poker or texting when he should be watching the instruments, do we? laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users