28 replies to this topic

#16 daisy

daisy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(helen @ Mar 19 2010, 08:43 PM)
I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm sure my daughter would appreciate it. When I showed her a new compact that I had recently gotten, she just rolled her eyes and asked when I thought I would have enough and had I stopped collecting glass shoes.

View Post

What you need is a new daughter who appreciates you biggrin.gif biggrin.gif P.S. I'm available

#17 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

Oh Helen - Don't let her get to you. Just do what makes you happy because obviously your daughter is not too perky. Not your problem anymore. Just let it slide. Maybe someday she'll join you in collecting...you never know! smile.gif

#18 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE(daisy @ Mar 2 2010, 05:05 PM)
Thats Ok Sandra, I'll go in yours  blink.gif  biggrin.gif

View Post

Daisy I am rotflmao! Will diving ladies? Do we have no shame? .....Nah!

I have a little jeweled solid purse from my grandmother in Maryland. I was trying to figure out what it was/who made it. I then stumbled into Estee solids. I have a few others, but there is a certain sparkle and charm to the Estee compacts. I am disabled and there are days that I am in bed. I love looking over at my little collection. It makes me smile to see the pigs, the doggies, the octopus even! Even when I am feeling horrible, I am surrounded by tiny beauty!

(I later found out that the purse was a Florenza solid. I have another from her that I am still researching that is round with a rope edging surrounded by rhinestones and has a sapphire colored stone in the center. No labels or markings. It has some perfume left in the creases.)

I have about 60 or so. I've been told that is too many. I pull out an article I found on a woman in China that has over 500 compacts and the value. I am so glad to be understood somewhere though! Thank you all for being here! rolleyes.gif

#19 daisy

daisy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:33 AM

Butterflie , a woman has to do what a woman has to do!!!!

I've got a collection similar in size to yours, it's a mere drop in the ocean compared to some collectors. You should go and have a look at swisslady's site, it makes your eyes pop out. Some of these large collections will be worth a fortune and I would imagine are insured. Even smaller ones ones like ours are worth a bit. I've spent an awful lot of money up to now.

It is nice to have something beautiful to look at, it can really cheer you up.

#20 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:59 AM

I read somewhere that they are little works of art and I agree with that. Each compact is unique then when grouped and displayed..aaaahhhh!

I love putting the themes together like dogs, pigs, cats, ocean....the possibilities are endless. Now if only the finances to purchase them all were! LOL! rolleyes.gif

#21 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

Speaking of displays the home page could use a new display. Something with an Easter or spring theme maybe? Ann???

#22 angelbaby0109

angelbaby0109

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:14 AM

It seems this site is dedicated mostly to E.L. and I am extremely new to "collecting" and this site. At any rate, my solids were made by Max Factor. My mom worked for MF for over 20 years and every time they came out with a new solid, she brought one home to me. Over the years I've displayed them, when I married I put them away, then I'd bring them back out. My mom passed away last month and while getting things ready for the memorial service, my husband was in the top of the linen closet looking for my good table cloths, and he finds a dish towel (ouch!) wrapped around all these little solids. I opened them up and the memories of my mom just poured over me. I feel it was a sign and a wonderful way to remember my mom. In the process of looking for replacements for the ones I know I'm missing, I ran across this site and I've connected with so many people who love the little solids. I am now an avid collector and very "addicted." I don't collect the E.L. solids, but I do love to look at all the different ones. My heart is with MF and my mom.

Linda

#23 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

:) Very nice story ! Thanks for sharing that, Linda.

We daughters owe a lot to our collector mums !

#24 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:07 AM

Linda -

What a beautiful memory of your Mom. How precious it must be to have those little treasures that she shared with you! I love the Max Factor solids also. I am not just an Estee solid collector, I collect all things solid perfume related including the solid perfume jewelry which Max Factor created quite a few. Thank you again for sharing your story and my condolences.
Hugs and happy collecting -

Jenn aka solidJ

#25 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

Welcome Angelbaby!

I started collecting because while in college I took a job as an Estee Lauder promotional assistant.... I did makeup for promotional events at EL counters... back in the day you traveled within and around the state.... it was so much fun... as you got travel expenses and overnight stays sometimes.

I got married and moved to south FL where I took my first behind the counter job as a EL beauty advisor... I remember going through inventory and stumbling across a box with a solid inside... from that moment I was hooked.... at first I was collecting only the solids with Knowing in them- this was my favorite fragrance in the line... so it was one solid a year.... this only lasted two years I think... I wanted them all.... still do...

I especially love the vintage ones and love the charm of the necklaces the best!

#26 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:09 AM

As much as I love Estee I could not work there because my entire checks would be gone the minute I walked in the door! LOL!

I would be swooping up the solids, yes also Knowing (still my fav fragrance too), the Estee eyeliner and lotion and on and on! So it is better for me not to do such a thing!! LOL!

#27 wjh414

wjh414

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

I remember my mom using Estee Lauder products but I don't remember any perfume solids. After she passed away last year, I found a small bottle of Pleaures EDP spray in her things and loved the fragrance. I bought my own bottle of Pleasures and started using it every day - it is so soothing and uplifting. Then I saw an auction on eBAY for the little silver purse with pink bow and it had Pleasures solid perfume in it. I thought this is so cute and would fit just right in my purse! Well, the perfume wasn't usuable but I discovered there were all kinds of adorable Estee Lauder compacts and I was definitely hooked! My favorites are cats and I have a couple powder compacts as well. Then I found this wonderful website and appreciate the information from Lisa and Petals. And look forward to learning and collecting more!

Edited by wjh414, 04 September 2010 - 07:29 PM.

#28 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

Be sure to look at some of the old topics, it is amazing the things you can learn from here! I love it!!
:D

#29 wjh414

wjh414

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

Be sure to look at some of the old topics, it is amazing the things you can learn from here! I love it!!
:D

I've been spending hours reading on this website and can't get enough! There is so much information and so much passion for collecting the solids. It's very fun! Thank you all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users