44 replies to this topic

#31 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

I'm going to stick to my principals. ...... ohmy.gif

I think it was me who had one of the warehouses struck by lightning in one of the stories and called it devine intervention...... laugh.gif

Margaret.....

#32 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

Well dont all shoot me now...... I have been to the warehouse sales which is why I was able to describe it so well in past posts. I also know someone to get tickets from so anyone that wants to go just give a hollar.

#33 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

Just let me know when and where!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(nyslzzle @ Apr 4 2010, 06:17 PM)
Well dont all shoot me now...... I have been to the warehouse sales which is why I was able to describe it so well in past posts. I also know someone to get tickets from so anyone that wants to go just give a hollar.

View Post

#34 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:27 AM

HOLLAR! HOLLAR! HOLLAR!!! biggrin.gif LOL!!

I'd love the opportunity to go, so I'm giving you a Hollar!! laugh.gif

-Jenn

Edited by butterflies1219, 05 April 2010 - 03:28 AM.

#35 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

Okay who is in or near NY and really wants to go to a sale? All I have to do is ask my source and find out when the next one is. They are usually one each month. But I must warn you. You can only buy 6 compacts.

Edited by nyslzzle, 05 April 2010 - 10:13 PM.

#36 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE(nyslzzle @ Apr 5 2010, 11:11 PM)
Okay who is in or near NY and really wants to go to a sale? All I have to do is ask my source and find out when the next one is. They are usually one each month. But I must warn you. You can only buy 6 compacts.

View Post

I live in Jax, FL but I would be willing to travel to NY over this summer (July/August) or in September. If you could let me know when a sale would be.

Is this one of the sales where you can buy makeup too or only compacts? I wonder why they limit it to only 6? But if I could get the Cinderella Coach, any princess pumps, the fabulous ocean fish or sailboat or ok well I love so many but even being able to get 6 would be amazing.

Thank you so much! This would be a really amazing opportunity for me. Please email me directly. Thank you again!! smile.gif

#37 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:16 AM

Seems I have been letting some posts drift by! Where have I been???? In another world!!!!

Well Sizzles, what about me in the U.K. I would fly to New York, spend some time with you and then fly on to Florida to family.

How about it? Margaret if the fare is cheap, would you come with me?

smile.gif

#38 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

I'd love to jump on the bandwagon too, but actually it works out a lot cheaper for me if I buy them retail rather than buy an airfare to NY !! laugh.gif

#39 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

It depends -- how much do they cost at the warehouse sales?

#40 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

Wow I cant believe the response. To answer the questions: Yes this is the sale you can buy perfume and cosmetics at although I dont think they are such great bargins and its not everything you can get. The compacts are anywhere from $5 (for some powders) to $25 for the good solids.

But what they do is have a very small table on the end of the isle and one person who stands there refilling it as they go. It all depends on what they put out. I have seen some good ones at times. I have been to the sale maybe 3 times. Most of the time there are alot of the same ones which is why you see so many of the same ones pop up on ebay at the same time.

People arrive early (like 8 am) and I guess they get the best pick. The reason you can only get 6 is because they know that people sell them on ebay. But you cant say that becuase they wont let you purchase anything then. I have had a discussion with the eoman at the table and she told me about selling on ebay. They even have the collector book there so they know what are good ones. Who knows they might be buying them too since they get a discount on the already low prices.

Talking with a worker is how I found out that they scoop out the perfume and throw the boxes away just before they put them out for sale. I know its crazy!

Anyway. Form what I understand there is a sale once a month and closer to the holidays every two weeks. There is a cosmetic company store attached and there they have MIB ones for regular price.

It really isnt that impressive if you ask me. I have never bought anything except comacts when Ive gone. But I do see others buying tons of the perfume, gift sets and train cases.

I am positive they have these sales everywhere there is a wharehouse for EL. Its just a matter of finding someone who works for EL to tell you. The tickets are supposed to be free invitations but people make profits by selling them. All it really is is a printed piece of paper.

Now what I really wish is that my neice still worked at the manufacturing plant in Rhode Island. The never had sales but the employees alway had numerous compacts right off the conveyor belt. I believe they moved the factor from Warren to Providence but do not know anyone there.

I first discovered these beautiful compacts when visiting my sister in RI. She had them all over little shelves in her house and they were just adorable. Too bad she didnt even know what she had. She thought there were just cute little nik-naks.

Anyway thats the story ........ for now.

#41 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

Thank you very much NYsizzle for posting your above reply. It is very informative and interesting to me to find out more information about these warehouse sales and what these sales are all about. I know we have talked about them on this board in the past, so I thought I knew "stuff". But after reading your post I didn't know everything. Chances are I will never go to one given the location I'm in here in the States, however, I have been to two EL company stores (Nevada and Pennsylvania) and I didn't find anything to buy at that time.

I wish I was closer to RI!! wink.gif I was there in 1996 for about three days and had a nice time. I didn't know where the factory where our solids are born was at that time otherwise I would have made a point to at least drive by it. Oh well...such it goes.

Gigi

#42 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the added information on these sales! Ironic isn't it when we pay so much for our solids only to find this fiasco is still continuing!

Here in U.K. I do know they have a place where people employed by E.L. can visit to buy items very cheap. Unless you can get hold of a special invitation, it is impossible to get through the door. I would love to go but unfortunately it is a ''closed shop''.

So getting back to Margaret's post earlier, divine intervention would be a good thing as I think E.L. are taking the ...... blink.gif ........out of all of us!

ph34r.gif

#43 helen

helen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(nyslzzle @ Apr 8 2010, 07:25 AM)
Wow I cant believe the response. To answer the questions: Yes this is the sale you can buy perfume and cosmetics at although I dont think they are such great bargins and its not everything you can get. The compacts are anywhere from $5 (for some powders) to $25 for the good solids.

But what they do is have a very small table on the end of the isle and one person who stands there refilling it as they go. It all depends on what they put out. I have seen some good ones at times. I have been to the sale maybe 3 times. Most of the time there are alot of the same ones which is why you see so many of the same ones pop up on ebay at the same time.

People arrive early (like 8 am) and I guess they get the best pick. The reason you can only get 6 is because they know that people sell them on ebay. But you cant say that becuase they wont let you purchase anything then. I have had a discussion with the eoman at the table and she told me about selling on ebay. They even have the collector book there so they know what are good ones. Who knows they might be buying them too since they get a discount on the already low prices.

Talking with a worker is how I found out that they scoop out the perfume and throw the boxes away just before they put them out for sale. I know its crazy!

Anyway. Form what I understand there is a sale once a month and closer to the holidays every two weeks. There is a cosmetic company store attached and there they have MIB ones for regular price.

It really isnt that impressive if you ask me. I have never bought anything except comacts when Ive gone. But I do see others buying tons of the perfume, gift sets and train cases.

I am positive they have these sales everywhere there is a wharehouse for EL. Its just a matter of finding someone who works for EL to tell you. The tickets are supposed to be free invitations but people make profits by selling them. All it really is is a printed piece of paper.

Now what I really wish is that my neice still worked at the manufacturing plant in Rhode Island. The never had sales but the employees alway had numerous compacts right off the conveyor belt. I believe they moved the factor from Warren to Providence but do not know anyone there.

I first discovered these beautiful compacts when visiting my sister in RI. She had them all over little shelves in her house and they were just adorable. Too bad she didnt even know what she had. She thought there were just cute little nik-naks.

Anyway thats the story ........ for now.

View Post

Thanks for all the info. There is a Cosmetic Company Store a about 3 hours from me and I have to go to or through the area frequently.When I called and asked about the perfume compacts they would not quote the price on the phone. Sounds like they are no great bargine. It would be nice to find some I haven't been able to get otherwise though.

#44 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

dry.gif yep, another case of 'it's not what you know, but who you know . . . '

I think it's not really their place to say what you do with them after you purchase them. If they don't want them to be resold, then don't sell them or don't sell them that cheaply.

Why not give them as a free gift (or half price or more) with another solid retail purchase if they want to get rid of them for next to nothing, at least then collectors would get them and they wouldn't have this problem with us being angry about the warehouse sales . . . AND, make less of them. blink.gif

#45 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Apr 9 2010, 12:14 AM)
dry.gif  yep, another case of 'it's not what you know, but who you know . . . '

I think it's not really their place to say what you do with them after you purchase them.  If they don't want them to be resold, then don't sell them or don't sell them that cheaply.

Why not give them as a free gift (or half price or more) with another solid retail purchase if they want to get rid of them for next to nothing, at least then collectors would get them and they wouldn't have this problem with us being angry about the warehouse sales . . .  AND, make less of them.  blink.gif

View Post

That is a good idea Sandra.

I guess I'm greedy and would keep every compact for myself!! I would probably stand at the table all day long to pick out 6!! LOL! They would have to drag me out clutching white knuckled my compacts!!

So Petals if you want to do a trip let me know and maybe we could catch up, then fly back here to FL! I really wish I had know earlier that the IPBA conv had solids also. My grandmother who got me started with solid collecting lives outside of Washington DC. I would have her come with me! Then she could see first hand what she has created!!

I really enjoy chatting with all of ya'll. It's so nice that I am not alone in my Estee Lauder solid craziness!
jenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users