44 replies to this topic

#16 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hi Daisy... smile.gif

I have been caught by customs charges.... ohmy.gif what a pain. Now I wait untill I cross the pond or someone I know is going or if you know someone in the U.S. send it to them and get them to post it on to you.

Margaret

#17 laurendmb

laurendmb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(VEGAS LADY @ Mar 22 2010, 08:46 AM)
Hi Daisy... smile.gif

I have been caught by customs charges.... ohmy.gif  what a pain. Now I wait untill I cross the pond or someone I know is going or if you know someone in the U.S. send it to them and get them to post it on to you.

Margaret

View Post

As long as the seller marks it a "gift" you shouldn't be liable for any customs charges. If I were you I'd make sure the seller is willing to do that. Legitimate businesses might have a problem doing that, but an individual probably wouldn't take issue with it.

Lauren

#18 laurendmb

laurendmb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

I just got my compact in the mail. It is in flawless condition, just like in the pictures. It came with both boxes and I couldn't be happier. It seems like this ebayer is selling off their individual collection, and next month I might buy another piece from them. It seems like ebay is the only place for me to get the solids I want

#19 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

smile.gif Excellent news, Lauren ! Though I'm sure you will find there are a lot of good sellers on this site too !

I think Ebay is a place where you can easily 'view' the solids, range and price without committing to lengthy emails. In this way, it's a lot easier to buy. However, you can get thrown off by one bad experience . . .

Edited by Sandra, 22 March 2010 - 04:06 PM.

#20 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

Personally, I prefer buying from collectors on the site. I have NEVER experienced a problem and do not worry about how the item will be packaged, etc. etc.

The only thing I never liked was bidding for the same item as someone I knew but thank goodness those days are over as ebay has changed the system and you cannot see who you are bidding against! It makes life alot easier. All my auctions I make private as I do feel that everyone should have privacy, but at the same time I am no Saint and would love to know who I am bidding against!

As Margaret wrote earlier, it is easier if you can have your items sent to someone in the States where they can check it out and then forward. Also, I write gift on my packaging and try to make it look quite juvenile (which isn't difficult at all)!!!!

No comment Sandra!

#21 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

I have purchased most of mine thru ebay only because I was first starting out. I started purchasing solids by which I could afford, the best deals I could find and to begin collecting. I have come to learn the value of collecting Estee's with boxes, full of perfume and I am constantly still scanning to see if there are any individual collections or estate sales. I prefer to buy from an individual, but like I said, just starting ebay is a really vast jumping off point for any collector.

I also liked that really great individual sellers would give me links to so many solid collectors sites. That is actually how I ended up here, so for that I am thankful for ebay.

I know I may hit a nerve here, but I actually wish I could go to an Estee warehouse sale and would love a ticket. Being disabled on social security, I have a very limited collecting budget. There are a lot of solids I would love to have, but cannot afford. If I could purchase some of the more expensive compacts for less I would, but it is only so I could collect them. I did not know that they smoosh the boxes. That makes me very sad. I would never want to devalue anyone's collection. I do think that the mint in double box, perfume filled compacts will always be the most valuable. I am hoping no one throws tomatos at me now or boots me off.

#22 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE(Petals @ Mar 22 2010, 10:23 PM)
No comment Sandra!

View Post

#23 laurendmb

laurendmb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

My desire for solids is starting to border on addiction... I'm considering getting the Lucky Dragon from the same seller. I love the look of that compact. I think I'm gonna wait to save up some more cash first though, and then I'll make an offer and see what the seller can do.

Lauren

#24 helen

helen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(butterflies1219 @ Mar 22 2010, 11:20 PM)
I have purchased most of mine thru ebay only because I was first starting out. I started purchasing solids by which I could afford, the best deals I could find and to begin collecting. I have come to learn the value of collecting Estee's with boxes, full of perfume and I am constantly still scanning to see if there are any individual collections or estate sales. I prefer to buy from an individual, but like I said, just starting ebay is a really vast jumping off point for any collector.

I also liked that really great individual sellers would give me links to so many solid collectors sites. That is actually how I ended up here, so for that I am thankful for ebay.

I know I may hit a nerve here, but I actually wish I could go to an Estee warehouse sale and would love a ticket. Being disabled on social security, I have a very limited collecting budget. There are a lot of solids I would love to have, but cannot afford. If I could purchase some of the more expensive compacts for less I would, but it is only so I could collect them. I did not know that they smoosh the boxes. That makes me very sad. I would never want to devalue anyone's collection. I do think that the mint in double box, perfume filled compacts will always be the most valuable. I am hoping no one throws tomatos at me now or boots me off.

View Post

I'm like you and would like to go to one of the warehouse sales to see what they are like. Since there are no really high end stores like Saks or Neiman's in my area the only compacts I find at estate sales or antique stores are the ones that can be purchased at stores like Macy"s or Dillards. That has its own allure though because when I find one it is usually an old one that has been used. I like to think that someone bought it and enjoyed the perfume. I have also been able to find compacts by other companies of perfumes that are no longer made and have learned about other cosmetic companies from by-gone days. (Maybe the knowledge will be of use for Trivial Pursuit. )

#25 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

I've always railed against the warehouse sales but I'd go in a New York minute. Call me a hypocrite... biggrin.gif

Ar

#26 helen

helen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(Ar @ Mar 23 2010, 06:29 PM)
I've always railed against the warehouse sales but I'd go in a New York minute. Call me a hypocrite...  biggrin.gif

Ar

View Post

If you find out when they are having one, I could be persuaded to take a road trip. Might have to come up with a good excuse to my husband though. Hmmm, maybe there is a meeting I really need to go to.

#27 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

I'd join in on an Estee compact Road trip in a heartbeat!!!!!! I've never been to New York, actually no further north than Washington, DC. I be willing to go for Estee though! LOL!

Sandra, even if you didn't go to the sale, would you join in on crazy, compact addict loving fun?!

#28 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:02 PM

smile.gif Hmmmm . . . yeah I think I might ! laugh.gif

#29 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Ok then that would be great! I didn't think you would pass up joining the compact fanatics at least! LOL!

#30 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

Didn't we blow up all the warehouses in the last story? There's a fantasy for ya.

But if one survived, I'd like to go too. tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users