• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:58 AM

My Chows LOVE Bulldogs! Particularly my female. If she comes across one she will pat the face as if she can't believe the wrinkles on their nose. It is the sweetest thing. Losing 2 dogs so closely is a horrible thing. I went through something similar many yrs ago. My male chow is going to be 12 and my female is going to be 5 this coming spring. It may sound crazy, but I am considering a third.The only thing that deters me is what I call " dueling chow chows " If I show one the least bit of attention, the other will pop up and demand his or her due. They can be sound asleep and come in all bleary eyed looking for their share of love. If I ever get my digital camera back from my friend who borrowed it I will post a pic of them. biggrin.gif

#2 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:31 PM

smile.gif Oh, how cute !! I'm sure all pet owners have cute pet stories . . . this would be a good place to enjoy them as any ! Nice start to what I think will be a popular topic !

Don't you just love how they can communicate without speaking !

Looking foward to seeing a photo of your chows . . . ! (BTW, nothing wrong with 3, even though they love competing for your attention!)

#3 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

Cats are the same! They bicker and vie for attention. Last year I adopted a feral cat, Cupcake, who wouldn't come out of the closet for two months. She has observed the other two and - voila, COPY CAT! She does most of the same things they do. She follows me around and crawls on my lap at night. I've awoken with a total of 32 pounds of cats curled up on top of me. That's a lot of heat!

Ar

#4 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:04 AM

32 lbs of cats is a lot of heat and you live in FL no less. My boy doesn't sleep with me, as I have a new mattress and it is too high a jump. It doesn't stop my girl and she loves to snuggle. She is 45 lbs, but not really hot at all. My last girl was 80 lbs and I called her the atomic fireball. I could have slept outside in a blizzard w/her and been fine. I miss having a cat. My female Rita prevents me from having one. She is quite the hunter and a cat unfortunately wouldn't fare too well in my household. It's funny, as she is the sweetest chow you would ever meet, but boy does she have the hunting gene. We go for a walk, and if she sees a bird she stands on hind legs and drags me after it! I keep thinking she is going to settle down, but she is 5 now, and still pretty wild. I think this is as good as it's going to get.

#5 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

Maybe she needs a bit of my Bruiser in her. He's a mellow chocolate lab. He weights 122 pounds, but he's very trim. He's long, tall and loving. He does sleep in the bed with us, he puts out more heat then my radiator does laugh.gif He's not a chaser, animals of all kinds can pass right by him and he'll just sit there and wonder, 'what kind of dog are you?' Mostly, he cuddles. I should've named him Cuddle Bunny. biggrin.gif

#6 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

I'd be happy if she had some of Bears temperament, he is a typical Chow, like a throw rug! Rita didn't read the Chow Chow handbook when she was born. I'm going to try and post a picture in of her and Bear later today ( fingers crossed ) My front porch looks like a concentration camp. I have a 3 1/2 foot brick wall she jumps over ( if she sees deer or squirrels ) I put a layer on cinder blocks on top, which she promptly jumped over. I put a second layer of cinder blocks on top and she is contained ( for now ) The back of the dog pen has a 4 ft cyclone fence. She climbs that as well, so I had to put an extra 12 in of fencing on top of that. She amazes me. When I brought her, her breeder had 8 ft cyclone fences as she said her dogs all climbed them if they were any lower. I've had 3 Chows prior to this, and none climbed anything. She makes up for all her escapades with the sweetest personality ever. Life has never been dull since she arrived!

#7 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

WOW - that is some jump-ability! Bruiser doesn't jump. smile.gif

#8 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:40 AM

:rolleyes: Hi all !!

I have been thinking about get my little Silky Terrier (male) a pal.

Is it best to go with the same breed or mix and match?

Dylan is almost 10 years old now, so I was thinking about getting him a 6 year old little sister . . . what do you multi-dog experts think?

#9 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:40 AM

Hi Sandra,

I don't think it matters what breed you choose, you just have to make sure their personalities match. Let the dogs meet each other on neutral territory. Not in your home (which is also your dogs' home) but somewhere outside so they will be on equal ground when they meet. You'll know very soon if they will get along, also if they don't. If you're going to adopt a dog from a shelter or the ASPCA or some other outfit like that, they may make you have a meeting with the dogs to make sure they will get along.

Best of luck to you no matter what you decide.

#10 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

Thanks Katita!

I'd love my little guy to choose one, but I'm not sure how he'll do that. He seems to like little Toy Poodles when we're out and about.

We've been looking online at Doggie Rescue and sites like that . . . I thought you just had to choose one from their pictures and then go and meet them.

But I don't want fall in love with a picture and description of a dog and then find out that my little furry man doesn't want a bar of her !

And I don't really want to go to the RSPCA to choose a dog from death row because they'll all end up coming home with me !

Hmmm . . . what to do, what to do . . .

#11 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

Talk to the adoption center or whatever place you decide to get your dog from and tell them your situation and they probably have the answers and solutions you need. They want to make sure the animal adopted is a good fit so the little darling doesn't end up back with them. I suspect they will ask you to describe your dogs personality or probably want to meet your dog. I know here in New Jersey they will come to your house to "inspect" and make sure the animal will live well with you and your family. The more people you talk to, the more options you'll have.

BEST TO YOU!!! Let us know what you get.

Katita

#12 butterflies1219

butterflies1219

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

Hi everyone! I know silky terriers are very cute but they also can be very demanding. I would definitely check with local rescue groups. There are so many full breed dogs going into shelters from mills that it is nuts. I am also member of Pekepals on Yahoo. There are quite a few pekingese rescue group owners that I chat with.

If I can recommend one breed dog it would be a Pekingese. They are small, lovable, playful, not much on barking or jumping. There are the occasional rebels that believe it or not can climb anything. But most are more interested in being your number one love. My little pekingese Brittney is that way. They are also unbelievably cute for their bedtime rountine. Sometimes she roots around, then makes little noises like she is trying to talk then finally settles down, goes to sleep and ends up sprawled out on her back, legs splayed open! It is a hoot! She loves to play with her toys and when I am busy she tosses and throws her toys around, happy to just play. Pekes always like feet too. If you have your feet down and she is sleepy she wants to be right beside your feet.

Here is a picture of her on our golf cart, smiling because we are camping! Jenn

Posted Image

#13 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

Chowlover... I 100% understand where you are coming from and I am trying to convince Jack to let me add another to our family.. due to the fact that I too lost my
beloved Dobermans about three years ago... they were brother and sister from the same litter and they both died within three months of each other... it was
horribly devastating....

Bulldogs are the absolute best dogs ever! Mine are like shadows.... my make follows me everywhere... all the time... they are so loving and loyal and not a mean
bone in their body... they love all other animals and fancy children!

They do not do well in the heat and they do require lots of vetinary care... my female just had about 30 stones removed from her bladder about a month ago and we are waiting to schedule another surgery for her knee that keeps slipping out of place... my male only had one surgery

I adore them to death... they light up my heart and they make us smile every minute of the day....

Jenn... I love your Pekingese... darling!

These are my lovelies after a romp in the mud!
Posted Image

Next year I want to add a French Bulldog to our family

"Dogs are children in fur coats"

#14 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

:lol: They are like begging you for a bath !! :lol:

My little furry boy loves to find mud too . . . especially after a bath . . . little brat!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users