• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 helen

helen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

Is there a resource that tells how many of a specific compact was produced? This is especially concerning those that are produced for specific retailers such as Neiman's, Saks, Harrod's, Bergdorf's , etc.

#2 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

Hello Helen

I don't think there is any way of telling how many compacts and solids are produced for each retailer.

Some times its all one big con. They tell you things are limited and then they turn up again and again, these last few years have been a collectors nightmare.

Margaret

#3 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

I totally agree w/you Margaret. How many times have we heard a solid was limited in production and then turned up at warehouse sales. The only solids I pay full price for are the Harrods' solids, as I don't think I have ever seen one turn up on Ebay that has come from the warehouse sales. If you wait long enough, you can generally acquire one MIBB on Ebay, at half the price. I was at Neimans 2 weeks ago, and they still had the Sand Pail, Lobster and Blue Ribbon Bulldog. meanwhile, I acquired a Lobster on Ebay MIBB for $100 a few months ago. It was at least half what it retails for in stores. Several years ago when I first started collecting, I bought the Strwaberry Surprise as a sales rep told me that was selling out. It's been on Ebay w/o box for the last year, so obviously you cant't trust the EL reps. If you love and absolutely have to have a solid go for it ( and unlimited funds ) But if you can hold out, I would advise you to do so. Look at it this way, more solids for your $$$$$ I also pay full price for the general release solids, as they seem to hold their value. When they come out of the warehouses, they are not that much cheaper than they are in stores now. This years selection is especially nice. I can't believe how much bling the Chinese Take-out container has for the $$$

#4 helen

helen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(chowlover2 @ Oct 27 2009, 03:34 PM)
I totally agree w/you Margaret. How many times have we heard a solid was limited in production and then turned up at warehouse sales. The only solids I pay full price for are the Harrods' solids, as I don't think I have ever seen one turn up on Ebay that has come from the warehouse sales. If you wait long enough, you can generally acquire one MIBB on Ebay, at half the price. I was at Neimans 2 weeks ago, and they still had the Sand Pail, Lobster and Blue Ribbon Bulldog. meanwhile, I acquired a Lobster on Ebay MIBB for $100 a few months ago. It was at least half what it retails for in stores. Several years ago when I first started collecting, I bought the Strwaberry Surprise as a sales rep told me that was selling out. It's been on Ebay w/o box for the last year, so obviously you cant't trust the EL reps. If you love and absolutely have to have a solid go for it ( and unlimited funds ) But if you can hold out, I would advise you to do so. Look at it this way, more solids for your $$$$$ I also pay full price for the general release solids, as they seem to hold their value. When they come out of the warehouses, they are not that much cheaper than they are in stores now. This years selection is especially nice. I can't believe how much bling the Chinese Take-out container has for the $$$

View Post

#5 helen

helen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(helen @ Oct 27 2009, 04:26 PM)

View Post

Thanks for the info from you and Margaret. Since I'm somewhat new to the game, the solids I have bought are ones with the scents that I like and "gasp!", I wear the perfume in them. I figure that if I'm going to pay so much for an item I can at least get an added pleasure from it other that looking at it and dusting it. Since you mentioned that you had found the pail and the lobster still around, I wonder if that has to do more with the economy at present rather than an unlimited supply of the product?!

#6 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

Sorry to have to say this, but I have seen the Harrods solids turn up on Ebay, empty, no box.... They came out of Canada if I remember correctly. Was amazed to see them appearing, but they definitely did!

At the beginning Harrods inserted cards stating that only 500 had been released etc. They stopped doing this when there appeared to be endless repeats of certain solids which outnumbered the 500 as we were all purchasing at the time.

Either way, let's hope all this has a stricter control in the future. Many of the facts printed in the Story the Spooky Forest are factual! Have a read if you have the time as parts of this story from people who know what is going on, makes interesting reading..... ph34r.gif

#7 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

Even the old Harrods Palace has turned up from time to time.... mad.gif

The only one I have never seen is the English Emblem and I truly think that was limited to the number it said...look how it has held its money, and when did you last see one for sale.

You told me to buy it Jacky and I never did...I was so stupid at the time

Stick around Helen you will learn it all on here.

Margaret.....

Hi Connie, will email soon..... smile.gif

#8 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE(helen @ Oct 27 2009, 09:30 PM)
"gasp!", I wear the perfume in them.

ohmy.gif You're not wrong, Helen !! I am "gasping" at that !! biggrin.gif

More power to you Helen for doing this. It seems everyone else daren't touch them (including me !).

Yes, Margaret - hasn't the Englsh Emblem proved valuable - you really must listen to our 'Aunty' Jacky ! It is a real beauty that one, as is the elusive little 2001 Rodney Bear!

#9 helen

helen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Oct 30 2009, 01:15 AM)
ohmy.gif  You're not wrong, Helen !!  I am "gasping" at that !!  biggrin.gif

More power to you Helen for doing this.  It seems everyone else daren't touch them (including me !).

Yes, Margaret - hasn't the Englsh Emblem proved valuable - you really must listen to our 'Aunty' Jacky !  It is a real beauty that one, as is the elusive little 2001 Rodney Bear!

View Post

#10 helen

helen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

At least if I wear the scent I can rationalize the purchase and keep my husband happy as I explain the purchase. That's actually how I even got started on the solid perfumes because I was looking for a new scent to wear and just happened to go to the EL counter at the season of the year that the compacts came out. My first purchase was a kitten, since I'm a "cat lady," and the scent was Beautiful. My collecting of tchakes goes even further back. I have an old compact that held Helena Rubenstein's Heaven Scent that is probably almost 40 years old. I enjoyed the perfume!

#11 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:04 AM

Helen, have never seen that word in the written form tchakes smile.gif
As Sandra said, more power to you for using the perfume but I tend to keep them mint.

Agree with Margaret and Sandra re the English Emblem and Rodney! I traded in my Rodney for two other solids, and have kicked myself for doing so, but I was a bit green at the time (and so was Rodney)!

All collectors on this site are happy to help but also take a look at the site of Swisslady.....our lovely Brigitte. There is a link to her site from here. Loads of information for you to absorb and beautiful pictures too....

#12 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hi Jacky

I would be well green if I had traded in Rodney...I don't collect the bears but its the one that everyone wants. I always keep an eye out when I'm going round the fairs.....Who knows one day.....Ups!!!!!!! did you just see that pink pig fly past.... laugh.gif

Margaret

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users