Photo

Micky Has The General Distribution Solids!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:45 AM

Bring on the BLING..... cool.gif the more the better for me...... biggrin.gif

Margaret

#32 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

Bling bling bling! Although creative design is also important to me -- the horse & sleigh and the tiger don't have a lot of crystals and I think they are great. I don't necessarily prefer the larger size. I love the jukebox but I don't think it has enough pizzazz for $325.
Ar

Edited by Ar, 20 September 2009 - 10:21 AM.

#33 ione1956

ione1956

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

Hello,

I just got back from Nordstrom and saw the general distribution solids, Chinese take-out and Tiger.

Both solids look good, they are a nice size and heavy.

I bought the solids without seeing any pictures. Happy that I did, I really like them both.

These are really worth the money.

Ione

#34 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE(ione1956 @ Sep 21 2009, 05:03 PM)
Hello,

I just got back from Nordstrom and saw the general distribution solids, Chinese take-out and Tiger.

Both solids look good, they are a nice size and heavy.

I bought the solids without seeing any pictures.  Happy that I did, I really like them both.

These are really worth the money.

Ione

View Post

Hi Ione -

For the size and quality, they are DEFINITELY well worth the money, plus there's plenty of "Bling" in the Take-Out Box. I did find, however, that you sort of have to display the TOBox "tilted." I put a tiny piece of felt on the back of the base to lift it up enough to really see the crystals. (The felt pieces are the kind you use to put on items that might scratch good furniture. Self-sticking. If anyone needs one, you can email me and I'll gladly send you one...or 2...whatever. You can just snip off a piece that's small enough to fit.)

The Tiger is much loved, bling or no bling. Much like the Giraffe, he had to sort of grow on me.

As an aside, I must ask you...did Nordstrom have any "special" GD solids made just for them...as in the Black Enamel Piano from years ago? Let us know if you saw anything, ok?

Appreciate your opinion of the solids. Happy to hear you love them too! smile.gif

#35 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

Ah, talking about the giraffe - he is one that I didn't get, but would like to have . . . any chance anyone has a spare one that wants to come and live in Australia?

If you saw the news yesterday about the dust storm over here, it is all over today and the sky isn't red anymore, it's back to its glorious blue.

It was an amazing little phenomenom, but cleaning up after it isn't really fun. So much red dust everywhere. Like going to the outback without leaving home. Very strange, and I'm glad it only lasted for one day !

#36 Lyndell

Lyndell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:47 AM

Hi Sandra,

Yes the weather has been strange. I'm near Campbelltown and it spent all day changing between more dust, less dust, more dust!! I looked at my beautiful shabby chic outdoor setting today and have to spend the weekend cleaning the glass tops of all the tables!! Glad we'll be allowed to use the hose for the clean up. My poor Kelpie spent the night in that dust storm and I didn't even know. So glad I don't have to deal with it regularly like they do in Birdsville!!! Tomorrow is supposed to be 28 then its back to 20 degrees - what is happening?

Anyway, back to solids..... a picture of a display sounds like a great idea. Ann and Ken where are you? Are you like the rest of us - only buying a couple now or are you able to do a picture or two?

Sandra that giraffe will turn up sometime I am sure...keep looking at ebay... wink.gif

#37 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Believe it or not we do not have the solids yet. Waiting for an event in Oct.

When we get them I will see what we can do for a display.

Also been VERY busy remodeling our BRAND NEW HOUSE that needs more work than any old house we have ever had. They greet us at HOME DEPOT by our first name. Long story but in short our builder went belly up and we are trying to finish
the house ourselves.

Ann and Ken

#38 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:22 PM

sad.gif Sad to hear that for you, Ann & Ken.

Wondered where you 'disappeared' to, and looking forward to your pictures.

I hope that you guys didn't lose too much money and that you are able to complete to your satisfaction. I know how building is - slow and steady . . .

Take care . . . that's another pet hate of mine, people who go bust and KNOW they are going bust but still take your money . . . . I've seen plenty of them. mad.gif

#39 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

Just got the Tiger and Take-Out Box and am quite pleased with both. I have to keep telling myself they are general distributions. I agree with others they do look more than what I would normally expect in a general release solid. Michele has given a great description of the solids. The only thing I can add is regarding the Take-Out Box. It comes with 6 lime green stones (2 of them are small), 4 pink stones and 3 diamond-like stones. I let both household cats smell the Tiger. Told them it was a far relative of theirs. Both sniffed at it for about 30 seconds and then walked away. huh.gif

Glad to read your post Ann and Ken. Sorry to hear about your building/house problems. Just keep saying to yourselves this will get done and it will be fantastic. I laughed about your Home Depot experience. Its nice they know your name. Our Home Depot sees us and just asks, "Which house?" (Its either our MT ranch house or the WY house in town--at least we can confuse them that way and laugh!) laugh.gif

Gigi

#40 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

BUILDERS!!!!!!!!! how I hate them, they seem to be a law unto themselves.

We had a small amount of subsidence on our single story kitchen, it was fully covered by our insurance policy but it took over 18months to put it right, they took our patio up three times, we got our own back though the third time they lifted it up they found an old well and lost all their tools down it.... laugh.gif

Before the recent credit crunch you could not get a builder for love nor money, all they would say was "Im to busy working on buy to lets"...Well how things have changed now. This year we have had a house makeover and because builders now have no work I pushed them to some really good prices.....so in my own little way I got back at them, and the work was done very well.

Margaret

#41 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Hi Margaret ! laugh.gif

It's a similar story to that of the giants of EL. Now the tide is turning a little and they have to try to get us 'back in their market' by offering MUCH better deals . . . we like this ! smile.gif

It's a pity we can't get every organisation in the world to come to an understanding about the lack of jobs and money . . . . for example, over here our banks won't pass on the full interest rate reductions given to them - we still have the highest interest rates in the world, and there has been talk of ours going up while the rest of the world is going down. blink.gif

Also, while I'm on the whinge, I just got whacked for a parking fine - the local council sneakily changed a parking sign from being able to park in front of some shops until 6pm to being able to park until only 3pm . . . well of course that's when kids come out of school and parents stop by the shops for a few minutes.

So, because it's been my habit to go there between 3:30 - 4pm everyday for the last 12 years, I parked there and to my surprise copped a fine.

I would be think a fair parking fine for this would be $50.00, but no - it cost me (and everyone) $197.00 !!!!!! EACH TIME !!!! ohmy.gif

(they don't hand you the notice here anymore - they wait until you park and go away from your car, then take a picture of your license plate while you're gone then send it to you 3 weeks later in the mail). So realistically, you could have done it 15 times before you realised the sign had changed times, and been fined EACH time. ohmy.gif

So far I only have one. Now everyone has to park 500m down the road and walk with their parcels to the PO. Yeah, bad luck if you're pregnant or disabled, which thankfully I am neither.

I figure it's because everyone lost money on their super and investments, so in this way they have decided to try to recoup some of their money lost. Well how does the ordinary Joe Blow ever get his/her money back for the world financial crash? mad.gif

#42 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Sep 25 2009, 07:12 PM)

Also, while I'm on the whinge, I just got whacked for a parking fine - the local council sneakily changed a parking sign from being able to park in front of some shops until 6pm to being able to park until only 3pm . . . well of course that's when kids come out of school and parents stop by the shops for a few minutes.

So, because it's been my habit to go there between 3:30 - 4pm everyday for the last 12 years, I parked there and to my surprise copped a fine. 

I would be think a fair parking fine for this would be $50.00, but no - it cost me (and everyone) $197.00 !!!!!!  EACH TIME !!!!  ohmy.gif

(they don't hand you the notice here anymore - they wait until you park and go away from your car, then take a picture of your license plate while you're gone then send it to you 3 weeks later in the mail).  So realistically, you could have done it 15 times before you realised the sign had changed times, and been fined EACH time.  ohmy.gif

So far I only have one.  Now everyone has to park 500m down the road and walk with their parcels to the PO.  Yeah, bad luck if you're pregnant or disabled, which thankfully I am neither.

I figure it's because everyone lost money on their super and investments, so in this way they have decided to try to recoup some of their money lost.  Well how does the ordinary Joe Blow ever get his/her money back for the world financial crash?  mad.gif

View Post

Oh my gosh, Sandra. $197???? ohmy.gif That's a bit steep, considering you did not have "Fair Warning" beforehand. I should think that a "First Offense" would require them to only "warn" you. But a "Fine?" For the 1st time? Based on an underhanded change in law? Think I'd fight that one in court. Perhaps a strongly worded letter to your local newspaper about what occurred might raise some questions for council to answer...accountability is everything. Am sure there are more like you who have parked there numerous times since the "change" and are in for more than one Fine.

As far as Banks and Bankers go, I used to have all the respect in the world for Banks. Now they're right below Used Car Salesmen on my list of people to believe.

And talk about losing money. Did you know Bill Gates lost $20 Billion Dollars last year? Yup! Before you shed any tears, you'll be relieved to know he's still the richest man in the US. blink.gif

Regarding Solids, that's an idea for a new one...a Cheque Book. A certain company did it in a beautiful Charm...my first thought when I saw it was "that would make a lovely Solid Perfume." EL...have lunch with Liz! Discuss! laugh.gif

Home renovations...I can't even go there. However, I do have some cute Hello Kitty band-aids for Ann & Ken, just in case. laugh.gif Keep us posted and do be careful.

'nite for now...

#43 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:47 AM

Hi Sandra..... smile.gif

Parking and Councils.....THE BIGGEST RIP OFF IN THE BOOK!!!!!! .... mad.gif

It's the way they claw all the money back that they have wasted and it's the little people like us that pay. Over here we even have to pay to visit the hospital, this I would not mind if I could be sure that the money collected ( our local hospitial made 2 mil last year out of parking charges ) was going to buy equipment to benefit us all, but how do they use this money, no one seems to know...prob managers wages.... mad.gif

The worst thing are the wheel clamping firms, they put up some part hidden sign about not parking then go and hide behind their unmarked vans and even if you park for a couple of mins they photograph your number plate and clamp your car untill you pay the fine.....It's my feeling that they get a cut of every fine that is paid, and some of them can be very, very aggressive.

As for bankers just don't get me started on that one, all those very large bonuses they have had and now we all have to pay more taxes to bail out the banks because they misused all that money.......every time its the ordinary hard working people that have to pay.

There is a piece in today's paper saying that some poor sole who has been paying into a pension scheem all his life will see 40% of it go in admin fees.

My Hubby and I are now OAP's and we are glad we have lived when we have. One the whole we do feel sorry for many of the people today with all the rules and regulations that are made, thirty years ago life was simple, you worked and saved for what you wanted but now we sometimes despair at the greed that is displayed.

Times are sad......Margaret

#44 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:02 PM

laugh.gif OAP's . . . . well over here they decided they didn't like the term, so they do by the name of "Senior Citizens". tongue.gif

Yes Margaret, I agree - I've always said to my mother that she should be glad her life was lived in the 'good old days' and her working life is just about over (well if she ever stops, she has worked enough for 3 generations !) whereas I've got about another 20 years of this world capitalism B/S.

I see my superannuation going down the gurgle hole, and if it wasn't the law here, I wouldn't be investing it into a fund so they can pay themselves and lose my money that should be my nest egg in 20 years time.

I guess that's why we invest in these solids, hey??? But then we saw that little nest egg also get destroyed by the corporate powers that be . . . mad.gif

Ah, if you're a little person like me, you just can't win, can you? sad.gif

#45 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

About collectors... today there was a St. Pete Times story about an entrepreneur who made a fortune with coins and gold, then became obsessed with collecting high end music boxes and built a 29,000 sq. ft. home to house them. Here's an excerpt, note the quote from the professor:

Whatever the circumstances, the story of squandered wealth didn't surprise Russell Belk, business professor at Toronto's York University who wrote the book Collecting in a Consumer Society. High-end collectors tend to rationalize spending by telling loved ones it's an investment, he said. But they usually lose money or, at best, break even.

"Regardless of wealth, collectors can find a level of collecting that strains that wealth," he said. "They need better pieces, bigger pieces. It's luxury consumption."

The bank seized all of Yaffe's coins, effectively putting National Gold out of business. They're locked away in a Brinks vault. Ahead lies months of wrangling in bankruptcy court. The music boxes remain secure in the regal splendor of Yaffe's mansion, under the watchful eye of the federal courts. Yaffe's life has been upended. The mansion, where he lives with his wife and two children, has been on the market for $25 million for close to a year.

"I don't regret collecting the music boxes, but I regret building the home," Yaffe said. "The house has drawn negative attention."

Yaffe has promised to break up his prized collection, the machines he crossed continents and sacrificed bank balances to acquire. He plans to sell about 15 of the most expensive machines. The liquidation should help him hang on to the rest of the collection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users