• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

I really must take the time to drop a note to the Queen, requesting a visit to discuss "The Queen's English." Anyone know her email address? I know she has an iPod (GREAT gift for the Queen...duhhh)...but does she have a pc?

Anywho...guess I should have "googled" the answers but decided to take a shot at it alone. Totally messed up. Who would have thought a "dunny" was a, well, you know. laugh.gif Where on earth did that word come from?* blink.gif

Michele

*I don't really want to know.

Edited by zooey, 31 July 2009 - 07:44 AM.

#17 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:32 AM

Not sure where the term came from, but I do know it was Thomas Crapper who invented it ! laugh.gif

A 'crap' is what we refer to a 'number 2' as . . . I don't need to be more specific here for you, do I?

I just love your imaginative answers, Michele. Never Google anything unless absolutely necessary.

#18 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Aug 1 2009, 03:32 AM)
Not sure where the term came from, but I do know it was Thomas Crapper who invented it !  laugh.gif

View Post

You HAVE to be kidding! Imagine going through life with that as your claim to fame. jeeezzzzz.....

Think I'll stick with "commode." Much more civil. smile.gif

Michele

#19 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

Just to bring you two back to this earth, there is the Buddha Necklace.

Now get back to the Spooky Forest where you both belong! ph34r.gif

#20 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(Jacqueline @ Aug 1 2009, 12:38 PM)
Just to bring you two back to this earth, there is the Buddha Necklace.

Now get back to the Spooky Forest where you both belong! ph34r.gif

View Post

ooops...she found us. ph34r.gif

#21 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

MICHELE BEFORE YOU LEAP BACK TO THE SPOOKY FORREST - JUST TO LET YOU

KNOW BOTH THE WORDS DUNNY AND CRAP ARE VERY MUCH AUSTRALIAN SLANG

I ALSO SPELL REALIZE WITH A Z - MAINLY BECAUSE I THINK Z's LOOK MORE

INTERESTING THAN S's AND I SAY 'NAPKIN' NOT SERVIETTE, BATHERS NOT

COSSIES FOR BATHING COSTUMES BUT I THINK THAT IS MORE A

MELBOURNE THING.

I'M SURE SANDRA YOU WILL AGREE MELBOURNE AND SYDNEY PEOPLE OFTEN

HAVE DIFFERENT WORDS FOR THE SAME THING EVEN THOUGH WE LIVE IN

THE SAME COUNTRY.

KAREN

#22 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:18 AM

blink.gif Actually I didn't notice, Karen. I thought we would all refer to things similarly, though the Tasmanians say funny things (Hi Fee !) such as Potato Cakes for (Potato) Scallops, and Heat Pump for Reverse Cycle Air Conditioner . . . laugh.gif

Bathers, now that's an old Sydney word. We must have given it to you when we changed it to Cossies. smile.gif

#23 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

Hi all..... smile.gif

You have to laugh at all the different words we have for the simple toilet....here are a few more, many of them I have heard used in my lifetime, alough many have now died out or considered none P.C.

LOO.......Still in use a lot today and I would think that it is the most common one used in England..... from the French Bordalou

Karsy.....This is an old one and there are quite a few ways of spelling it.....From the Italian word cassa ( house )

Thunder Box......British Indian Army Term.....not used nowadays.

Jerry......I have always wondered about this one because when I was a little girl we used to go and stay with my Mothers Aunt in the English Lake District, she only had an outside toilet so china potties were placed under the beds for night-time use.
My Aunt always used the term "going to empty the Jerries"......evidently Jerry is a rough area in Oxford, England.....but don't ask me how it became another word for potty.

HERE'S ONE FOR MICHELLE..... biggrin.gif

THE THRONE ROOM...... biggrin.gif Sooooooooooo if you write to our Queen do ask her if she has one.... wink.gif

ONE FOR YOU AS WELL SANDRA..... biggrin.gif

DUNNY......The term for an outside toilet and the person who used to empty them was called a DUNNYMAN. The word comes from the British Dialect DUNNEKIN meaning DUNG HOUSE......Us Brits get everywhere........ laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

Just incase you all thought that I was a walking encyclopedia.......I knew all the old words but had to look up the origins........I KNOW I SHOULD GET A LIFE.... blink.gif laugh.gif But it was interesting

There are many more regional terms used over here.

Hoping I kept you all amused for five minutes.

Margaret........ laugh.gif ..........After all this I must go to the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... ohmy.gif

#24 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

OMG...am laughing so hard I may have to use the THRONE ROOM!

I don't believe the Queen does such lowly things as "going potty," does she? I mean, she's Royalty. They just don't do stuff like that. ohmy.gif

We really must get off this topic, but loved your "History." Thanks so much for the lesson in Dunny 101... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Lord...gotta go....

#25 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

Hi Michele

Just by way of interest it was reported in a newspaper some time ago that the Queen says LOO....... laugh.gif

Margaret

#26 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

smile.gif thanks Margaret - actually we refer to it as the 'loo' mostly. 'Dunny' I suppose is the crass way of saying it, but it depends where you are. If you are at someone's house, you would say you had to go to the loo, but if you are in a pub or something you might say you had to go to the dunny.

"Sitting on the throne" is used occassionally here too, as in "I have to go and sit on the throne" . . . probably referring to a number 2.

Ah gosh . . . how did we end up here ???? blink.gif

#27 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

Margaret - thanks for that, most interesting. I always use the word 'loo' and in light of what you've said I guess it would date from my time of living in London in the "Swinging Sixties" I think a lot of the words & expressions (and slang) we use in Australia come from England which of course makes sense.

Sandra, I didn't know 'potato cakes' which we use here too originated from
Tasmania. Goes to show how the Solid Perfume site enlightens us in all sorts of areas. Nice friends and a little 'useless trivia' as well.. rolleyes.gif

Karen

#28 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

Tasmania? There's really a Tasmania? Where is it? I only know of the Tasmanian Devil in the cartoon.... blink.gif

Thanks for the update, Margaret, although I still don't think she goes, you know. I mean, she's the QUEEN. Perhaps that's why she doesn't smile too often. hmmm....laugh.gif

Edited by zooey, 02 August 2009 - 10:49 PM.

#29 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE(zooey @ Aug 3 2009, 03:45 AM)
Tasmania?  There's really a Tasmania?  Where is it?  I only know of the Tasmanian Devil in the cartoon.... blink.gif

Thanks for the update, Margaret, although I still don't think she goes, you know.  I mean, she's the QUEEN.  Perhaps that's why she doesn't smile too often. hmmm....laugh.gif

View Post

Are you kidding me??? I guess that's like asking where Rhode Island is . . .

OK, its not joined to the mainland of Australia, but it has always been included as far as we are concerned. It's the teensy-weensy upside-down triangular bit right at the bottom right hand side of the country. It's a beautiful place, so if you ever have the chance, do Tasmania !

And BTW, the Tasmanian Devil is REAL, but on the verge of extinction sad.gif

#30 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Aug 3 2009, 01:08 AM)
And BTW, the Tasmanian Devil is REAL, but on the verge of extinction  sad.gif

View Post

Are you serious? You wouldn't by any chance know where he hangs out, would you. Hopefully not in the Dark, Spooky Forest. This one I'm going to have to google. I say there's no such thing as a Tasmanian Devil....I'll be back. unsure.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users