• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:01 PM

After reading the last installment of the spooky forest I had to post. The story mentions the imposter compacts and the people who are cloning them.

Interesting thing I came across while asking a question to an Ebay seller. I asked a question and here is the interesting reply.

"i worked there many years ago-- yes i still have contact with some of the people-- the factory is now closed 100% and will no longer supply estee or anyone else- it was rj mfg then victoria creations or victoria & co- regards"

I didnt want to publish the sellers name, but many of you know of him becuase he seems to have an unlimited supply of empty solids (cataloged by number strangely enough) for very low starting prices. I have watched this seller for quite a few months now and some of his solids have reached unbelivable prices.

I am now positive that EL didnt limit anything. If the ex-workers from the closed factories have this many to give this seller then they must have been allowed to take everything when the factory closed or they stole a lot of merchandise.

Now back to the story.......

#2 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

All of a sudden, I have a sick feeling in my tummy. sad.gif Talk about feeling betrayed...

Thanks so much for the information, NY, even if it's not what we wanted to hear. It's what we Need To Know that's important...and that definitely qualifies as a NTK.

Michele

#3 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

I did not mean to make light of ny's post...this is important information we need to know. Therefore, consider it edited.

Sorry, ny...please keep us informed if you learn anything new. Like...where are they now made?

Michele

Edited by zooey, 25 July 2009 - 02:55 PM.

#4 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

No problem Zooey, no offense was taken, I wasn't sure if I should post that info or not because you never know, the seller could be a member here. I just remember reading back where someone visited that factory and said how secure it was. I thought it interesting if the factory looked so secure how so many compacts managed to leave it.

We all get angry at EL because they sell at warhouse sales. At least the sellers who bought them at these sales are paying for them. They may make a small profit since they sell for so much less than original price on ebay. I have been to a sale before and you pay between $25 and $50 depending on the piece(and they are not the really good pieces). But the people who stole them and have hundreds (the great pieces) to sell on ebay are really making a fortune. I see this particular seller start at 9.99 and sometimes gets well over $200 for an item.

I guess in the end it is ELs fault for making so many. Regardless people will still collect them any way they can. It doesn't matter where they came from.

Anyway it was just news. Let's all get back to the story. It's more fun.

#5 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:16 PM

sad.gif Yeah, thanks for the concrete info, really I think it was obvious that people were getting a WHOLE HEAP of what I have been thinking were 'discarded' solids - ones that come empty and 'never filled with perfume'.

So many good ones, 'hard to get' etc.

Did they all work there and leave with hundreds, or did they all 'fall off a back of a truck in NY?

They are so tempting to buy as they start so cheap, but I won't support them . . . and therefore I miss out on having some nice empty solids . . . still, I would rather have them MIB a thousand times more !

But I do have to ask: how do the Harrods ones come up empty and without boxes? blink.gif

#6 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

That's a good question Sandra. Am sure these are made in Canada which means
someone has access to the moulds there???????

blink.gif

#7 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(Jacqueline @ Jul 26 2009, 07:36 PM)
That's a good question Sandra.    Am sure these are made in Canada which means
someone has access to the moulds there???????

blink.gif

View Post

This entire topic is intriguing (fix my spelling, Sandra laugh.gif ) to say the least.

Ok...here's the thing...Prototypes are just that...Prototypes. They can be anything from Drawings on a napkin to Mock-Ups done using Play-Doh. From there they go to "Samples" and from there, the Powers-That-Be decide whether or not to continue working on them and selling them. They can also choose to discard the IDEA for the time being, holding the solid for later design and improvement, or just cancel the entire solid.

Look under the topic headings and see Prototypes (Misc. Photos.) A member has a Solid listed as a Prototype. It's definitely not. It's a Sample that never got past the Board at EL. Someone managed to get it and our member probably paid a fortune for a Sample, thinking it was a Prototype. (Regardless, I think it's beautiful...shame on EL for not producing it. Lots of guys collect!)

Bottom line...the employees who were dismissed were either given the chance to purchase the unfinished solids (chunks of pewter), pocket them, or quietly walk away with the original Samples. Where they are now made is moot. Be it Canada, Paris or China, the same thing will continue to happen...and the same sellers will continue to find them. They have contacts we never dream of...a few dollars in the palm of a hungry ex-employee who has no job means a lot, and there are Sellers out there who realize this and take advantage of the "opportunity."

This is a very sad state of affairs...I feel so sorry for those that have fallen for the Prototype line..and paid dearly for them.

Sandra - Am not sure whether the Harrods solids are made in Canada or Paris, but am sure their employees have the same opportunities to get their hands on Samples whenever they can. Am also sure they have the same "Contacts" from the US that are scarfing up the Samples and selling them as Prototypes. This is why they are Empty.

What I DO NOT UNDERSTAND is: Why is EL not jumping all over the Sellers who are putting these pieces on eBay? Why are they allowing this to go on...and obviously it is going to get worse, until the last of the "fraudulent" or "five finger discounted" pieces are gone. (Five Finger Discount = Stolen.)

So...Sellers of "Prototypes"....change your listings to "Samples" or "Unfinished Chunks of Pewter." At least we will know what is being sold. A drawing on a napkin works for me...I have one by Andrew Wyeth (a painting...not a solid)...he was having breakfast at a little diner in Chadds Ford, PA. I sat down at the counter for a cup of coffee, not knowing it was him, and saw him doodling on a napkin. I told him "that's really nice...you could be an artist." He just said..."I try." Very nice man. He gave me the napkin (prototype,) told me to keep the napkin in a safe place and visit a museum. Obviously, it's now framed. And yes, the actual, completed work is now hanging in the Museum in Chadds Ford...but I have the original Prototype! tongue.gif

That's it from me for today...

Take care, all. It's a jungle out there...just like the Dark, Spooky Forest. ph34r.gif

Michele

Edited by zooey, 28 July 2009 - 09:53 AM.

#8 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

smile.gif Thanks for your words, Michele. You spell very well . . . except for 'realise' . . . and the word for 'napkin' is actually serviette. But I can excuse these things seeing as you're from the Americas. tongue.gif

Congrats on your pick up in the diner . . . your nice comments got you far !

#9 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Jul 27 2009, 06:11 PM)
smile.gif  Thanks for your words, Michele.  You spell very well . . . except for 'realise' . . . and the word for 'napkin' is actually serviette.  But I can excuse these things seeing as you're from the Americas.  tongue.gif

Congrats on your pick up in the diner . . . your nice comments got you far !

View Post

Ok...which one of you is doing the "talking?" Regardless, realize is spelled realize in the US...obviously you missed Spelling 101 in AU! tongue.gif

Serviette? I'd LOVE to call a napkin a Serviette; unfortunately, my children would not have a clue what I was referring to. Possibly a new cook or waiter? We in the US do not always have the best grammer, but we manage. laugh.gif

As far as "picking up" Andrew Wyeth...Sandra, one does not "Pick up" anyone in a Diner (at least not to my knowledge.) The man was MATURE, to say the least...I was being kind...was actually going to blow my nose on said "Serviette" or "Napkin" after he left but the waitress jumped to my station and stopped me. THAT is when I found out who he was. ohmy.gif If he was still alive, I'd visit that Diner again in a heartbeat, as I was told he stopped there every day for breakfast. Obviously, his wife was not a "morning person." Sad...had she been a "morning person" she might have known about Helga. laugh.gif

And a good day to you, my little friend...

Michele

#10 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

Brigitte - Your figure of the Buddha in your wonderful Story is a TRUE PROTOTYPE! Am SO impressed and more than a little jealous! smile.gif Where on earth did you find it? You are one lucky lady for sure! Way to go!!!

Michele

WAIT! It IS a Buddha...and now there's two! Two REAL Prototypes...unbelievable! smile.gif

Edited by zooey, 28 July 2009 - 11:33 PM.

#11 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(zooey @ Jul 28 2009, 02:52 PM)
As far as "picking up" Andrew Wyeth...Sandra, one does not "Pick up" anyone in a Diner
Michele

View Post

laugh.gif laugh.gif Actually, I was referring to the 'napkin' you picked up . . . not Andrew. However, if I had realized that waz wot u thawt then I wood haf clarified. biggrin.gif

BTW, we in Aus USED to spell some things the American way in the 'old days'. I myself used to spell with the 'z' instead of 's' before 'spelling 101' decided to change to the Queen's English, because she rules, you know ! rolleyes.gif

#12 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

Oh, and by the way, when do you pick up somebody else's 'napkin' and blow your nose on it? huh.gif

Here is a quiz for you to test your knowledge of language:
1. What is the Amercian term for 'garbage'
2. What is a 'biscuit'?
3. What is a 'cossie'?
4. What is a 'rockmelon'?
5. What is a 'dunny'?

Have fun ! smile.gif

#13 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Jul 28 2009, 05:57 PM)
Oh, and by the way, when do you pick up somebody else's 'napkin' and blow your nose on it?   huh.gif

View Post

Probably never. However, he had left the Diner and it was either the paper napkin or use the sleeve of my sweater. I (almost) opted for the napkin. Guess I just have no manners whatsoever. tongue.gif

Michele

Edited by zooey, 28 July 2009 - 11:56 PM.

#14 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Jul 28 2009, 05:57 PM)

Here is a quiz for you to test your knowledge of language:
1.  What is the Amercian term for 'garbage'
2.  What is a 'biscuit'?
3.  What is a 'cossie'?
4.  What is a 'rockmelon'?
5.  What is a 'dunny'?

Have fun !  smile.gif

View Post

Ok...here are my answers:

1. American Term for Garbage - Waste, Refuse, Trash, Things I Won't Eat.
2. Biscuit - Roll, Shortbread Cookie, Continental Breakfast Roll a/k/a Door Stop.
3. Cossie - Russian in uniform?
4. Rockmellon - Very, very hard watermelon.
5. Dunny - Dummy - in the Queen's English.

How did I do? unsure.gif

Michele

#15 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:29 AM

Some good answers ! laugh.gif Full points anyway for the laugh.gif

1. smile.gif
2. smile.gif , though really only a 'cookie'
3. sad.gif A swimsuit
4. sad.gif What you guys call a 'cantoulope' . . . though now I'm unsure of the spelling. I'm sure you'll be able to correct me.
5. sad.gif A toilet ohmy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users