• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

Nostalgia : Actually, at the time of it's release there was only one in Sydney (at the DJ store). It sold for AUD$1200.00 (when it was only US$250).

Also back in those days, the viewing was by invitation only. They did it one by one in a small room, so basically it was 'first in, first served'. They were over here in such limited numbers that if you didn't buy one in that viewing, chances were you weren't going to get one later on.

Hence they could charge a HUGE amount of money for them - most solids went for $800.00+

I know DJ's would have made a LOT of money from them, but remember they were limited in numbers and the import TAX on them was also quite steep.

If an individual got one sent over from a US store, the limit was AUD$400.00, before a tax was given. If you also take into consideration the exchange rate, one could therefore only buy 1 solid at a time. If it was held up at customs and the next one came in, they were added together. The tax was pretty high from memory, plus you had to pay an 'administration' cost if you got the paperwork.

So when the cost of internet went down, and more people could afford to have it in their homes, people found they could shop all over the world and then in the advent of Ebay, one found that they could pay what is now a MASSIVE price for any solid but it was still cheaper than buying one here, and therefore a BARGAIN!

Also, not all solids were released here. We found solids that we never even knew existed ! Ah . . . the good old days when solids were really hard to get, but the journey was fun !

biggrin.gif

#17 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

Sandra - I had no idea what you folks had/have to go through. In this Country, it's called "price gouging" and is NOT tolerated. No wonder so many nice Collectors from abroad turned to eBay! Unfortunately, their increased "Insertion Fee's," "Final Value Fee's," "Extra Fee's," (gallery photo, more than one photo, description of title under actual title, background, etc.) all add up to an horrendous amount, making Collectors who sell on occasion actually lose money. Those that sell solids with "No Perfume, No Box, No Label" and make it sound like a GOOD THING make me nuts. These people are NOT collectors (for the most part...some of us DO have solids in that condition, but when we find one that's "Complete" they/we will sell off the better empty ones.)

That plus the fact that there are so many re-sellers who are just in it (selling solids) for the almighty $ is what's driving the prices down, although I am seeing an upswing in ending prices. Not much, but a fair amount. But when you take a $450 Solid (Retail) and are able to sell it for $185 or so, something is definitely wrong. It truly de-values our beloved solids.

Conversely, when I first saw "Bob" the Panda as a Buy It Now for $100, I passed it by as I had never heard of that particular solid and it was not in Roselyn's book...thought it was a fake. Had I known his value, I would have snagged him in a New York Minute! So much for my stand on selling low. laugh.gif

And those "Strawberry Surprises" that appear every day? I swear she's growing them in her back yard then laminating them....never saw so many Strawberry Surprises from one Seller in my life...has to be an employee of EL. There's where the lack of security comes in.

Hope you find more great solids at fair prices...sounds like even retail would be fair at this point! ohmy.gif

I, for one, am switching to Bonanzle. It's sort of like the Bay, except you just buy - or sell - the item for a fixed price...no auction format. And...negotiation is possible. It's certified by the Better Business Bureau...and, their legal team is terrific! Did I mention Buyers can pay with Money Orders and Personal Checks...not limited to PayPal?

Sorry for the rant....you struck a nerve, for sure! $800 for one solid...I'll be talking to myself (and all my inner selves) for the rest of the night! "We" have a lot of "issues" to discuss together...whew! ph34r.gif

Michele

Edited by zooey, 23 July 2009 - 11:16 PM.

#18 Lyndell

Lyndell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:07 AM

Actually 3 carousels were brought into Australia - to DJs. I was in store the night before they were released. One went to Melbourne.....but never made it there. The 2 in Sydney were reserved. The next day whilst one was being looked at, a lady walked in and purchased the other with the SA not taking note that it was reserved. The result - one very upset customer.

Meanwhile a family member had reserved the Melbourne one for me and supplied their credit card details. Suddenly that carousel disappeared. Later I was told by an EL employee that the Melbourne one had been taken back to appease the Sydney customer who lost hers. The result - I have been out one carousel - and I know who the parties were who arranged it. "Not happy Jan" just does not cover it! mad.gif

So, no I don't trust EL employees stories anymore. Needless to say I am no longer the customer who buys every solid and every powder compact as I once was. Their loss, my gain. wink.gif

#19 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:51 AM

ohmy.gif Michele, you passed up Bob for $100.00 ??? You should have listened to one of your inner voices ! Yeah - us Aussie buyers didn't mind paying the US retail back then - I got some bargains . . . Or so I thought !

Lyndell - thanks for the real story about the Carousels. I was told only ONE made it to Sydney and it was SOLD.

Sorry to hear you missed out on yours. Bummer ! mad.gif

#20 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

Sounds like you guys had "fun". blink.gif unsure.gif

Ebay is a mine field these days. Fees are bad enough, but that's NOTHING compared with all the stupid hoops they make you jump through as a seller. mad.gif Too much to complain about. It's definitely turned into a buyer's market -- you can buy many things cheaper than ever before.

#21 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(greyhound @ Aug 5 2009, 02:58 PM)
Sounds like you guys had "fun".  blink.gif  unsure.gif

It's definitely turned into a buyer's market -- you can buy many things cheaper than ever before.

View Post

And therein lies the problem. "...cheaper than ever before." But WHO are we buying from? Junk store sellers who could care less about what they sell (missing stones/"dead" stones) or how they send things out (pitch it in a box or envelope and toss it in the mailbox slot)...or true collectors who sell off a few really nice pieces/sets from time to time for whatever reason.

The above does NOT include members who choose to sell a few Solids below retail...again, for whatever reason. At least we know you recognize the true value of each solid, and honestly, "true value" is only what it means to the Buyer. Unfortunately, many Buyers pick up the cheapest item they can find, then proceed to complain about every little nuance. Hey...you get what you pay for.

ooops...am on a rant here and do believe we're OT. unsure.gif

'scuse me...must leave and check out which Topic were under.... huh.gif

This is all Gigi, Katita and Sandra's fault for making me drink all those Milk Shakes! blink.gif

#22 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

Yep Michele. I'm still partying with the good news this site is still up and running. biggrin.gif
Take care all you fellow party people who are celebrating with me.

Gigi

#23 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Interesting reading but so much to comment on. Apologies, but somehow I never kept up with these particular posts and wish I had...

x

#24 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(zooey @ Aug 6 2009, 12:56 AM)
This is all Gigi, Katita and Sandra's fault for making me drink all those Milk Shakes! blink.gif

View Post

Oh that's right, we drive you to drink ! laugh.gif

So, what's the best one you've come up with? And did you try freezing Baileys with milk instead of just on it's own? unsure.gif

#25 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

Drink some more!!! tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users