• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#91 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a great outcome for everyone! biggrin.gif

#92 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

Jack...thanks so much for "Pinning" this topic. The *bumps* were getting a little tiresome. dry.gif

#93 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:13 AM

HI EVERYONE, IT IS BRENDA (PANCHO) IN VICTORIA BRITISH COLUMBIA CANADA.

IT HAS BEEN A VERY LONG TIME SINCE I POSTED ANYTHING. I THOUGHT IT WAS SO SAD THAT THE COMPACT CONVENTION WAS CANCELLED THIS YEAR DUE TO LACK OF PARTICIPATION. OF COURSE THE PARTICIPATION WAS DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE ECONOMY.

I REMEMBER GOING TO THE CONVENTION AND CARRYING ALL OF MY TREASURES WITH ME ON THE PLANES TO WHEREVER THE CONVENTION WAS. YOU SURE COULDN'T DO THAT NOW, WITH SECURITY, EXTRA $$$ FOR BAGS. THE AIRFARE IS SO EXPENSIVE TOO.

WE CLOSED OUR STORE LAST SEPTEMBER (ANTIQUES AND COLLECTIBLES) AFTER 12 YEARS. WE COULD SEE THE WRITING ON THE WALL.

THE INTERNET FINALLY TOOK ITS' TOLL ON THE COLLECTIBLES MARKET. ROYAL DOULTON'S THAT USED TO FETCH $400-$500 NOW SELL FOR $100 IF YOU'RE LUCKY. THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SOLIDS AND COMPACTS THAT ESTEE PUT OUT.

THE PRICES GOT CRAZY FOR INFERIOR WORKMANSHIP. THE COLLECTIONS THAT PEOPLE AMASSED ARE NOT WORTH 1/2 OF WHAT WE PAID. I WAS LUCKY TO GET OUT OF THEM AWHILE AGO (YES I STILL HAVE A FEW I COULDN'T PART WITH). I STILL LOVE LOOKING AT THEM, AND IF I WON THE LOTTERY I WOULD BUY THEM ALL OVER AGAIN. NOW IT IS JUST HARD TO PAY THE MORTGAGE AND STAY AFLOAT.

ANYWAY, IF THERE WAS AN ANNUAL FEE AND IT WASN'T TOO BAD I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY IT JUST BECAUSE OF ALL OF THE INFORMATION AND CONTACTS THAT WOULD BE LOST.

I KNOW IT IS HARD WORK, AND I WANT TO SAY HOW MUCH I HAVE APPRECIATED IT.

I'LL BE WATCHING CLOSELY FOR SOME UPCOMING HAPPY ANNOUNCEMENTS!

HAPPY SUMMER TO ALL!

#94 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hello Brenda, It has been a long time and I am sure I have purchased from you in the past. Either way, I read your post with interest and am so sorry that you have closed your store.

I have been watching ebay and noticed that some of the rarer solids are picking up pricewise, which can only be a good thing. Summer is always a bad time for selling I think and towards winter the prices appear to climb and become more realistic. The shock of the credit crunch (as we call it here) curbed spending for a while but that is a reaction which perhaps is calming down somewhat.

Re the Compact Convention, am sure Margaret and other collectors (expect Olive too) would have been very disappointed. I have always heard from Margaret how good these shows are but have never attended as I have tried to steer clear of collecting compacts! Have enough with solids and the occasional bottle plus other temptations which sometimes come along.

Anyway Brenda, I do hope things in general will pick up and in the process make it easier for all of us including yourself. We really didn't need these copies of the solids flooding the market and I think they must take a good deal of the blame for ridiculous prices! I expect figures are low re the retailers selling the solid perfumes but doubt if that is a problem for them.

Take care Brenda. x

#95 zooey

zooey

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

Hello Brenda - It's been a long time since we met in Las Vegas...that's when Solids were still "Solid"...and we had hoped to see you at many more Conventions. But that was not to be.

Am very sad to hear you and your husband had to close your shop, as I believe that the sheer joy of "finding" an item was just as exciting for you as selling it to a true Collector, if not more.

The economy, or lack of same, has affected us all in one way or the other. We have cut back on "non-essentials" but for the most part have found that we can live without all the glitz and glitter. Friends and Family have become our most "collectible" items...that is the one thing that you cannot put a price on and the value is priceless. So in some ways, the downward turn of the market has been a good thing, and I hope you can see it that way...at least a little bit...although I do know how much your shop meant to you both. And I will bet my last dollar (it's in my wallet now) that you still have one eye peeled for that "treasure from the past"...and you will not be able to pass it by. smile.gif

Still remember opening the Solid I received from you...when the perfume popped out and my little Persian scooped it up. Had to pry her little mouth open and dig out all the Perfume. She had a faint fragrance of "Beautiful" about her until the end, and she loved it! Those were fun times!

In so many ways, this site has brought together so many good people from all over the World with one common denominator...Solid Perfumes. Let's just hope and pray that the future keeps us all together...rich or poor, agree or disagree, we are still and always will be...Collectors.

Hugs,
Michele and Peter wub.gif

Edited by zooey, 25 July 2009 - 11:39 AM.

#96 tally

tally

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

Jack & Lisa'

I am one of your members who have only a few posts but I would be remise not telling you what a disappointment to hear that this wonderful site may no longer be available. You must do what is best for you but it is still sad. I have made purchases from trusted members such as "Woody" and others. When it came to the latest Ken and Ann & Brigitte where there to provide photos when we needed them. Thanks for all you have done for us and here is hopping the "Milk has not gone down the drain". Good luck.

Tally

#97 ione1956

ione1956

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hello Jack & Lisa,

I would like to say thank you for this wonderful site.

If it weren't for this site I never would have met Woody and Chowlover.

I would be happy to pay a fee to keep the site going.

Thanks for all your hard work over the years and I hope we hear good news soon.

Ione

#98 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

Hi Jack & Lisa,
Thank you for the wonderful opportunity to meet some of the members. It is an honor and pleasure to call you friend. I enjoy all the photos and info your site has to offer. This was a great time and experience I will treasure always.
Please email me and let me know when we have another site for the members.
Thank you and God Bless you.
KK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users