• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#16 Linda

Linda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

We collectors will have to band together to find another source of communication if we lose this wonderful site.

THANK YOU JACK AND LISA!!

Woody

[/quote]

Woody, yes, I agree. We're a close knit group.

Linda from Hotlanta

#17 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

Am keeping fingers crossed all will be well and Michaela's little Dragon on the right hand corner will continue to breath fire and optimism into all the possibilities available.

#18 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

Perhaps Estee Lauder would like to advertise on this site. Just a thought.

Or maybe a mini auction place for EL solids, something like ebay. Money could be made that way. Especially since everyone seems to purchase compacts on ebay anyway.

Just throwing some thoughts out there. This site is the ONLY reference site for these compacts. Believe me I have searched! Without this wonderful site people might never find out about collecting and then the compacts would lose value even more tha they already have. I know I have sent this site to numerous people just begining to collect so they can see what is available out there. The collector book is a good source but nothing compaired to this site. The members and visitors here have so much knowledge to share it would be a shame to lose that.

There must be a way to keep this wonderful place going. I know we all hate advertising but maybe if it were select advertising it wouldnt be so bad.

"If we build it they will come!"

#19 Linda

Linda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

Jackie,

I thank you so much for bringing my attention to this situation. I'm wondering how many members we have here. Do you know? Jack?

Hope you're well,

Linda in Hotlanta

#20 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:42 AM

This saddens me but I understand the frustration of time and money. Jack and Lisa have been very generous. I would be willing to contribute to an annual cost if someone will manage it.
A free alternative is to have a Facebook group (I set one up for my college classmates). I could start it. It allows posting photos but would not be as well organized as the solidperfume database.
Another alternative is to establish a Meetup group, but that does cost something, although not a lot.
Ar

#21 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

Hello Linda, Not sure how many members there are but Jack and Lisa m have all this information. Not everyone checks in regularly so they will not all be aware of what is happening.

Meanwhile, re the Facebook suggestion, I would not be happy to put any of my own information there. I feel very comfortable posting here but without pictures etc., and it is very secure re other collectors communicating with one another. Over the years we all have an idea of who is who and some of the members belong to the IPBA.

I am sure there are alot of thoughts going on right now and I wish I had something to contribute!

I will keep checking in to read the latest developments and any suggestions.

As we all agree, this is a fantastic site and it would be very very sad to see it
disappear!

Estee Lauder owe Jack and Lisa a great deal for all the hard work and expertise which they have undertaken. I would have thought they should jump in to subsidise it especially as it brings them so much via the collectors and financially too! Also they have the funds to do so! It just makes me wonder what they are thinking as they must have received word of what is going on!?

#22 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

sad.gif Oh dear ! If Lisa and Jack decide to sell, I will be extremely saddened and disappointed for everyone who has been associated with this site.

Through it I've had many laughs from other member's posts and met great people all around the world. I've enjoyed seeing and buying solid perfumes I otherwise would have never known existed (and spent a lot more money too in the process !)

I know this was Lisa and Jack's 'baby' and have been delighted for them running such a hugely popular and successful site. They have been ultra generous with their time and money put in to run it and at times I know they have wondered whether it was worth it. I guess now is a big opportunity from us to show them how much it means to us and what we can give back to them.

Yes - an annual fee would be appropriate, but I still wonder if that would cover their costs.

If this site closes, y'all take care and know that you are all held in high admiration and esteem over here! smile.gif

I treasure every post I have read on here because they are from people who have taken the time to share their thoughts with one another. I will certainly miss this site and being able to communicate with anyone and everyone. We all did get close - and I think we all care about each other too.

Lisa and Jack, thank you again. wink.gif

#23 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

I hardly think Estee Lauder is going to subsidize or advertise on a site whose members have frequently criticized the company for its business practices. Further, they are reducing expenditures (eg. Las Vegas closing).
Unfortunately, we have a love-hate relationship.
Ar

QUOTE(Jacqueline @ Jul 5 2009, 09:48 PM)

Estee Lauder owe Jack and Lisa a great deal for all the hard work and expertise which they have undertaken.    I would have thought they should jump in to subsidise it especially as it brings them so much via the collectors and financially too!  Also they have the funds to do so!    It just makes me wonder what they are thinking as they must have received word of what is going on!?

View Post

#24 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

Irrespective of how what we wrote was perceived by E.L. it still showed that as collectors we were buying their products! Any publicity is good publicity and surely to express ones thoughts showed there was an interest and could be considered as a way forward, not back.
Had there been no site to express our views and ideas, there would not be the amount of collectors there are now. The special Harrods releases from London came to light in the U.S by this site. So I do not see how a site where one can freely express ones opinions, and let's face it, there were many varied opinions could have a detremental effect on E.L. considering to help with a site which is for their products alone. It could be considered (IMHO) free publicity worldwide and reaching (as the Heiniken add went) the parts others cannot reach.

#25 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

smile.gif Yes, I agree this site helped a lot of EL sales Jacky, but I also agree with Ar in that they have treated the express concerns of members on this site disgracefully, showing no respect at all and therefore we have responded in kind.

I don't think they will want to hear more moaning from us by subsidising to keep the site open.

IF they had any sort of respect for the sales and promotion of their own product, they would have embraced this site years ago.

However, maybe our luck will change and there might be a 'changing of the guard' in EL's corporate ladder and get some new blood in who might see sense in us !

#26 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

I too, would be more than willing to pay a fee to keep the site going! I have made so many wonderful friends through the site that I would really hate to see it sold. I really hope you both will be able to work a solution out...

#27 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:29 PM

Just to answer a few questions...

There are "officially" 707 members of the site. Of those members, under 200 have actually logged in over the past 12 months. We don't have any way of knowing who visits if they don't log in, but then again they wouldn't be able to see the forums if they didn't log in.

The original plan was to simply sell the domain name to a company which would more than likely just put up a page of ads in place of the site. No photos, not forums, no information on solids from what I understand of this company. (All personal information would be deleted before the sale if this were to happen.)

We have since then been getting a lot of feedback and ideas publicly and via email which hopefully should turn out with good results for everyone. We'll keep you all posted on everything as it moves along.

Thanks for all the kind words and support! biggrin.gif

#28 Erica

Erica

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

So sad to hear the announcement!!
This site has been a reliable source of information for a collector like me, who lives in a country where not so many solids are released.
Too sad,,, T_T (crying)

#29 Linda

Linda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:06 AM

Dear Jack,

Thank you for the information and update. I'm feeling hopeful now.

Linda in Hotlanta

#30 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

smile.gif Yeah, thanks Jack for the positivity - I like the "good results for everyone" bit. cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users