Dragonfly---$275

Ann

#2 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Ann for the info. As much as I like some of the solids, the prices are a bit steep in light of everything going on in the collecting world. I will have to see them and decide if I want to pay those prices. I could be tempted, but we'll see.

Woody

#3 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

Ditto for me.

#4 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

I'll wait for them on Ebay. Everything shows up there sooner or later, even MIB solids. You just have tp be patient.

#5 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

I agree with chowlover2. Everything makes it to Ebay sooner or later.

#6 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

It's so sad isn't it? I don't understand why EL doesn't make fewer solids rather than sell them at bargain basement prices at the warehouse sales. What kind of business strategy is that? I can't get over how fast they wind up there, sometimes 2 months or less. I've been concentrating on prototypes and the older solids lately. Much rarer and more fun chasing them down...

#7 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

Agree with all the comments here! Prices are far too high and even the older solids are selling much too low now! When I look at what I paid for my collection over the years and then see some of the same solids selling at a quarter of the price, well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do think they will eventually start to climb up again but meanwhile I am not spending over $300 on a solid which has just been released. E.L do not appear to be interested in limiting the number released but saying that, we have many solids being sold out of New York and Canada where it would appear the moulds etc. must have been kept to enable these to be re-released. Sad but that's the way it appears. E.L must be feeling the effects of the non-purchasing by collectors but I doubt this will bother them at all. We shall see!

#8 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

I LOVE the solids- But in today's economic downsling- EL has just priced themselves out of my market- You would think they would come up w/ a couple that are fun and reasonably priced for us poor people- and instead of selling a few expensive ones- they could sell a LOT of fair priced ones- I would not be surprised to see them on the chapter 11 scene soon and not to be mean- but serves them right if they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

#9 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:06 AM

Received my first mailing of the solid pics. There are also 4 new powders for Niemans:

Jeweled Checkerboard $225
Floral Dynasty $250
Starlit Night $200
Crystal Roulette $175

The powders are also getting more expensive rather than more affordable. Estee used to offer wonderful powders for $95.....I bought them all then, can't do it now. Also, I have seen most of last years powders at the outlet stores as well as showing up on Ebay for about 1/2 price.

Woody

#10 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

I agree with Mark! I do think the general distribution solids are a good buy for the money. I have bought all of them the last few years. At $85 not quite cheap, but a good buy. And they really don't have a big drop in value when they show up at the warehouse sales. I wonder what they will look like this year???

#11 Mary Poole

Mary Poole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:36 PM

when I was in Neimans the other day I was told that there would not be as many of the solids put out this year, so if I wanted any I should come in early.

#12 Flyaway

Flyaway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

Only compact that SORT of peaks my intrest is the crystal roulette powder. Any possibility of getting a picture?? I'm wondering if it will go with the other Vegas ones..

#13 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

smile.gif Totally agree with the majority - I LOVE the solids, but they just aren't a good investment anymore !

#14 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

The SA's at Neiman and Saks tell me this every time new solids are released. It's true sometimes they only get a few particular solids, but then they appear on ebay sans perfume and box. I think EL headquarters plays games with both sales associates and customers and end up with excess that they dump. Does anyone at EL have an MBA???
Ar

QUOTE(Mary Poole @ Jun 10 2009, 03:36 AM)
when I was in Neimans the other day I was told that there would not be as many of the solids put out this year, so if I wanted any I should come in early.

View Post

#15 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

They said they were limiting solids released last year, and lo and behold, the Russian Nesting dolls are on Ebay w/o box. You get to a point where you wonder how stupid the sales associates think their clients are. I am over the whole box thing. If I can grab a solid at less than half the original price w/o a box, I will grab it, No box is worth $200. I think in past when solids held their value it was a different story, but not in these times...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users