• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

Where has the summer gone? It seem like it was just Momeorial Day. I hope everyone here on the site has a great weekend!

#2 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

Hi Connie..... smile.gif

Did we have summer, I never noticed it, all we seemed to get was rain. Now its the end of August and the nights are starting to draw in....winter is on its way and I am thankfull for the time I spent in the Vegas sunshine.

Have a happy labor days......What's the history of it? or is it just like one of our bank holidays

Margaret

#3 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:11 PM

Hi Margaret! Today Labor Day is the unofficial end of the summer season here in the States.I believe it was first created about in the 1880's as a salute to the people who worked 12 hr days, 6 days a week in the Industrial Revolution. I have a paid day off on Monday, but alot of people in the customer service ( shopping malls, restaurants, etc ) don't. In small towns it usually involves parades, picnics and fireworks. I wish we had some of your rain here in Pennsylvania. We had a shower on Fri night and that was all the rainfall for the month of August. No rain in sight, as it's all centered in the South with Hurricane Gustav. We were very lucky in that we had no 90+ degree days in August, a rarity in these parts. I do think fall is on the way, the Canadian Geese are squalking like crazy as they start to head south, and my herd of deer got their darker " winter " coats in at the end of July. I LOVE the Fall, just hope we get some rain so we have a nice display of fall foliage come October.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users