• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

I think it is so sad Estee Lauder is releasing so many solids. I would much rather EL release perhaps 5 a year of the big buck solids as a limited release, then 6 or so of the general distribution solids in a not so limited release. Lately, it has seemed EL is releasing new solids every time you turn around. Look at last year. It was not long after the big buck solids for Neimans and Saks were released that the marine solids ( seahorse, sea urchin and starfish ) came out. Then, there were all those reissues of the older compacts, and right after that, the bicycle, crab, beach chair and ice cream cone. If I were in charge of EL, I wouldn't be issuing quite so many solids, particularly if the are being sold at rock bottom prices at warehouse sales. I really don't see any business sense there at all. I can't tell you how much I look forward to the Harrods solids in late summer and early fall. I save my money for them as I think they are all worthwhile. Last year I really wanted the Holt Renfrew Shopping bag but couldn't afford it at the time. I'm really glad I waited as I got it on Ebay MIBB for half the price. I was surprised but thrilled, it may not be that limited of an edition, but it's a great solid. I did pay full price for the Tuberose Gardenia solid. I thought is was a really different great piece, and I only paid about $25 more for it MIBB. Reading the post about crushing the solids made me want to weep. I really think limited editions are the way to go.....

#17 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:24 AM

Yes, I agree that Limited solids are the way to go but.........when do we know if a solid is really limited!

Point in question: I was told (not just once but many times by Harrods) that the English Rider was limited to 40. I popped into Harrods quite a few times and called and each time was told that there were only 2 or 3 left. I also checked out the English Rider to see if the card inside the box stated limited to 40. It did not!

Later I received the list of solids that Harrods would be stocking (not from Harrods but by a friend collector who brought it back via the States) and.....yes.....the English Rider is shown. So where is the information as given out by Estee Lauder at Harrods. Also, when I have been there it has always been for sale.
In the past Harrods stated on the card that only 500 or however many, had been released. Then gradually this was omitted, i.e. the date mentioned but no figures for the number(s) released.

wink.gif

#18 nyslzzle

nyslzzle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hi all, I just read all the great comments which are very interesting, one thing though ..... the seller I mentioned in the begining with the beautiful pictures .... most of his/hers sales are from members of this site. So much for some not buying from people that get compacts from the company! I say dont hate the player - hate the game! Someone, whether they are selling off a collection they paid top dollar for or ones they get at discount cant be faulted for trying to make a dollar in todays harsh world.

I say the fault lies with EL for not making them a bit more affordable so everyone can be happy. Let me ask this - since they are not made in limited amounts - and we all know they are not - what would be the difference if you and I could both buy them for lets say $100 each and you put yours into your collection and I sell mine on ebay to someone located where they dont import them. There are collectors in Australia, Germany, Singapore and even Israel that cant possible get these items. Perhaps if EL did keep to the limited quantities with a lower price this could work. Then it would be a first come first get product. They wouldnt have to destroy anything and would probably definately sell all they make. Then they would be true collector items.

The whole thing reminds me of the comic book era - companies saw demand and made millions - they are worthless now. It just irks me to see things destroyed and the fact that EL makes everyone believe they are purchasing collector items. I have seen posts here over the years where someone had to sell their collection for medical bills, etc. Isnt it disgusting that an investment as big as these little items becomes worthless in a time of need. Im not worried about rich people (sorry to offend anyone) Im worried about people who have had to work and save to get these compacts. Its like everything else - look at the real estate market and how many regular hardworking people are losing. It all goes back to those who are well off financially get eveything. Some who say go ahead and throw away the compacts, food or anything else they can probably wont ever need to find a way to make money in a time of need. EL should rethink their business practice on compacts.

One more thing - I saw that somone mentioned senior citizens working to help make the compacts, well they also use alot of unskilled labor to add crystals, etc. I know this for a fact. So they are making these things for under $10 each. They can stand to sell them a bit cheaper.

Thanks for all the great replies to my original post! I enjoy reading what eveyone has to say.

#19 MitziMay

MitziMay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(nyslzzle @ Aug 16 2008, 02:06 PM)
Hi all, I just read all the great comments which are very interesting, one thing though ..... the seller I mentioned in the begining with the beautiful pictures .... most of his/hers sales are from members of this site. So much for some not buying from people that get compacts from the company! I say dont hate the player - hate the game! Someone, whether they are selling off a collection they paid top dollar for or ones they get at discount cant be faulted for trying to make a dollar in todays harsh world.

I say the fault lies with EL for not making them a bit more affordable so everyone can be happy. Let me ask this - since they are not made in limited amounts - and we all know they are not - what would be the difference if you and I could both buy them for lets say $100 each and you put yours into your collection and I sell mine on ebay to someone located where they dont import them. There are collectors in Australia, Germany, Singapore and even Israel that cant possible get these items. Perhaps if EL did keep to the limited quantities with a lower price this could work. Then it would be a first come first get product. They wouldnt have to destroy anything and would probably definately sell all they make. Then they would be true collector items.

The whole thing reminds me of the comic book era - companies saw demand and made millions - they are worthless now. It just irks me to see things destroyed and the fact that EL makes everyone believe they are purchasing collector items. I have seen posts here over the years where someone had to sell their collection for medical bills, etc. Isnt it disgusting that an investment as big as these little items becomes worthless in a time of need. Im not worried about rich people (sorry to offend anyone) Im worried about people who have had to work and save to get these compacts. Its like everything else - look at the real estate market and how many regular hardworking people are losing. It all goes back to those who are well off financially get eveything. Some who say go ahead and throw away the compacts, food or anything else they can probably wont ever need to find a way to make money in a time of need. EL should rethink their business practice on compacts.

One more thing - I saw that somone mentioned senior citizens working to help make the compacts, well they also use alot of unskilled labor to add crystals, etc. I know this for a fact. So they are making these things for under $10 each. They can stand to sell them a bit cheaper.

Thanks for all the great replies to my original post! I enjoy reading what eveyone has to say.

View Post

BTW your comments "Most of his/her sales are from members of this site. AND "So much for some not buying from people that get compacts from the company!" does not apply to me, as already stated I NEVER BUY FROM WAREHOUSE SELLERS!
Just wanted to put the record straight.

MitziMay

Edited by MitziMay, 17 August 2008 - 02:40 AM.

#20 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

I've never knowingly purchased from a warehouse seller either, especially since I prefer MIB. However, I admit I'd be tempted to bid on something rare if the price was right, such as the tutu or imperial princess. I'm only human!
Ar

#21 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

Hi Ar..... smile.gif

I think that we could forgive you for bidding on the Imperial Princess or the Tutu,...... laugh.gif laugh.gif they are so rare and still maintain their price.

I have a MIB collection and I would never buy an Estee Lauder solid or powder off a warehouse seller, the way I look at it is.......they make money at the exspense of my collection.

Kind Regards.......Margaret

#22 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:39 AM

The whole idea of collecting (IMHO as Michele would say) is just that! No-one collects items which are being sold on a daily basis and are easy to access! Why would anyone do that! If I buy a plastic spoon, am I going to keep buying plastic spoons when I can find them every which way?? The whole idea of collecting is to find a treasure which normally one cannot find and due to its rarity ones collection may well increase in value. Take the collectors who invest in beautiful paintings etc. and those who collect other items which are difficult to find!

Saying this is only for the rich is ludicrous. This is a hobby for everyone whether it be hard earned saved up cash or cash which is more easily come by. Who cares! That does not come into the equasion. This is for anyone and no-one is looking to see what anyone else's bank balance etc. stands at. It is a hobby which treats all alike and there is no question as to who can or cannot afford to spend. To be honest and to put it bluntly, that is noone's business or concern!

The bottom line is as far as I am concerned is why should I spend my money on items at high prices which will be released later at a fraction of the price! If they are going to be sold at a fraction of the price (and I am not speaking of those solids which do slip through the net on Ebay which is fantastic for any buyer) then put them in Woolworths and don't dress them up with Harrods or Neiman Marcus etc., labels! They cannot be sold as both! Either there is control over these items or there is not! I DO NOT WANT TO FIND THAT MY COLLECTION HAS BEEN REDUCED TO A LOAD OF JUNK!

In the same context, I do not want to be told by a Representative that a certain item is limited to 40 or 500 and then find this is not the case. If they are limited, it has to be stated on a card in the box. Then there is recourse if more are sold than stated as there is such a thing as the Trade Descriptions Act. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Jacqueline, 17 August 2008 - 04:43 AM.

#23 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:09 AM

Hi Jacky, I have a good source for plastic spoons, so if ever you want one, let me know ! smile.gif However, I recommend using metal ones. tongue.gif

Seriously, I think everyone here can agree with you - we DO NOT want our valuable and prized collections reduced to practically a nil value and labelled as 'junk', which is then scalped by those in the know from EL for and offered for a ridiculously low price on Ebay. sad.gif

#24 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:17 AM

Thanks Sandra! Glad to see you up and around again! smile.gif Nice to have you back Sandra....

Re the topic under discussion:

Seems like I said earlier, old habits die hard.....

rolleyes.gif

#25 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:29 AM

Plastic spoons are great if you're having a party and don't want to clean silverware. biggrin.gif

I agree with everything that's been said.

I feel disgusted EL destroys perfectly good products. Workers spent time making these things for EL to only destroy them. ohmy.gif

I do my best NOT to support the warehouse sellers, but I've been guilty of purchasing from them before. ph34r.gif I haven't in a long while. Then again, I haven't bought many solids the past 2 years. I'll probably slip up in the future. blink.gif

#26 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

It looks like there was another warehouse sale. Ebay's flooded with solids, many the same, with bag only. Ouch!
Ar

#27 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:06 PM

Don't you wonder what EL sells some of these solids at the warehouse sales for? I saw some solids starting at $29.99. Even if only one person bids, I'm assuming the seller is making a profit. Some of these solids sold for $250 to $300 originally. I will say this, now is a great time to buy solids on Ebay MIB. I finally snagged the spirited bicylcle ridse for $135, and two others I had been looking for $99. I went high for the Strongwater Foo Dog, $158, but well below ELs original price. If there's a solid you're looking for MIB, hang in there, it will come on Ebay eventuallly, and you don't have to support the warehouse sellers. tongue.gif

#28 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:57 AM

I finally ''got rid of'' my last empty, no box, no pouch, no perfume solid! I should never have bought it in the first instance and I lost out with the price which I was prepared to sell it for (i.e. sold lower than I paid). I shall definitely not be buying one single solid that has been churned out like this one was unless it is one that I refer to as a prototype or unfinished.

If I find MIB (or one that did have perfume) at good prices, then I shall buy. Will check my collection but I think now the ones I have are authentic. Would still love the Carousel but I just cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars!

huh.gif

Edited by Jacqueline, 25 December 2009 - 02:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users