• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 05:49 PM

I am having a problem with a seller on ebay.
I happened to find an auction that had some powder compact along with the blue nights solid. The auction stated at $9.99 and had 1 day left and 0 bids. Because there were 0 bids I emailed this woman and asked her if she would end the auction early for a set price.
She emailed me back right away and said she would accept the price and end the auction, which she did. She gave me her # and I called with my credit card information. I got an email confirming that she would be shipping the package out on Tuesday.
later that night she emailed me and informed me that she got a better offer and would be reneging on our agreement.
What gets me is she made the choice to end the auction early and accept my offer!

[ May 27, 2002, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#2 EsteeMania

EsteeMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 11:28 PM

Hi Lisa - I won an auction fair & square with a Buy It Now. The seller was contacted by several Ebay EL colletors & she sent my payment back for a better offer. Do you believe in bad Karma? I do

#3 Sue J

Sue J

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 09:51 AM

What screen names to these sellars use?? Obviously I would never want to purchase from

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 11:58 PM

I don't want to get into using names because we had a problem with that before and I did remove some posts because it was getting ugly.
I do however always leave the appropriate comment when I have a bad transaction. So make sure you all always check feedbacks and if there are more than 2 negatives I stay away no matter how good of a deal it is.

I am sorry to hear about EsteeMania's bad transactiion that is unbelievable! I think we all need to be more respectful in that when an auction is ended or "buy it now" was used that no one should be contacting the seller with a better offer. We are just driving up the prices way too high and making it harder on ourselves.

#5 Judith Anne

Judith Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 10:03 PM

One problem, as I see it, with your bad deal, Lisa, is that because the auction was ended by the seller,in E-Bay's books no transaction took place. Were you able to leave feedback? You can't usually leave feedback when there has been no "official" tranaction. Perhaps the seller knew this.

In the EsteeMania's case, I hope she contacted E-Bay directly and left negative feedback. Sellers who pull a couple of unscrupulous moves like that will lose their right to conduct business on E-Bay.E-Bay does issue warnings when they receive legitimate negative complaints against a seller. EsteeMania won the auction fair and square with Buy It Now. That seller would be in E-Bay's bad books!

Both situations show greedy sellers. There are so many wonderful buyers and sellers on E-Bay that is indeed unfortunate that everyone can't follow the code of ethics. I do agree with Lisa that we can all do our part by not making offers on auctions already won by someone else. That's not acceptable either.

#6 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 01:20 AM

Gosh! I'm sorry to hear about what happened Lisa! Legally speaking, you made an offer and she accepted, so you enforce that as a valid contract if you wanted to take her to court over it! (She probably lives far away from you and would be difficult to sue, but she violated the contract and she is in the wrong!) So is the person who withdrew the buy-it-now on Esteemania and I will not buy from that person! That just isn't right and those people aren't true collectors if they behave that way!

#7 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 03:25 PM

Here are just a couple of tips to prevent bad transactions on ebay.

Always look a sellers and bidders feedbacks, I avoid sellers and bidders with more than 2 negative feedbacks or sunglasses, this means they are new with ebay(I email new ebayers first) or have changed thier ID at some point (1 negative may just be a mistake or miscommunication)

I always use a Mastercard, or Visa, that you can always put in a dispute with them.

Know postage fees, tax and insurance up front. When selling I always make the bidder get insurance or delivery confirmation.

Did you all know that you can block certain bidders with 0 or negative feedbacks from ever bidding on your auctions?

Always leave the appropiate feedback for bidders and sellers. If you have a non paying bidder make sure to fill out the non paying bidder form with ebay, three strikes and they are out (in most cases)

You may also request a refund on an auction's listing fees if the high bidder doesn't go through with the transaction. An auction may be listed again for no charge if there were 0 bids or the reserve wasn't meet.

Remember ebay only reimburses $200 minus a $25 fee if you claim insurance through them.

If anyone has any more tips please feel free to post.

#8 Janice Holton

Janice Holton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2002 - 01:01 AM

Hi Lisa,
Those were all great tips! I do have one comment to add regarding the negative feedback.
I try to do everything in my power to resolve any problems that I may have but sometimes
no matter what you do, it's out of your hands! I have a negative feedback from someone who thought they were buying a full bottle of perfume when I clearly stated right in the description
that it was empty. Not only that, she left me negative feedback without even giving me a chance to resolve or explain the situation. If she had, I would have directed her to the auction description and it would have been resolved. If that didn't satisfy her, I probably would have offered to take it back but I wasn't given the chance.

Two other negatives come from a lady who won multiple auctions from me. She wrote me two weeks AFTER she received my package that two of the items were missing. I know good and well that I packed everything. I checked and double checked the list before I closed the box. I couldn't prove that though so rather than argue with her, I offered her a refund. She refused the refund and left me negative feedback anyway and called me rude! There are just loony people out there sometimes. I was the lucky one to run into them.

So my advice is that if the seller does have two or more negatives that you read the comments, the sellers response, and even the negative person's feedback. You can tell a lot by that. OK, my soap opera is over. [Smile] All this happened a long time ago, but sometimes you just feel the need to vent, ya know?

Janice

#9 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 June 2002 - 10:17 PM

Janice,

Yes, I agree with you about reading the follow up comments to the feedback and I do.

Sorry you had a couple of "crazies" but I'm sure the rest of your feedback's speak for themselves. I sure had a great transaction with you, I love the red rose!!

Thanks again [Smile]

#10 Sylvia Ray

Sylvia Ray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 June 2002 - 10:32 PM

I agree, eBay is great but they really need to address their fraud issue a bit better. They don't seem to come down hard enough on people who bid and never send payment or on people who sell something and never send it.

They let people change their identities way too easily and I think it makes the whole thing too easy for people to run their scams. You have to be so careful...especially as a buyer.

#11 Lorraine

Lorraine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 01:13 PM

I agree with all of you especially the last comment. I have a fraud complaint in with a seller 'Buy It Now' deal. she lead me on for 2 months "package sent, returned, resent". All leading me on. What DOES EBay do about these people? I am involving the Police on this case because it is a lot of money. The girl told me earlier on that she is going to sell a lot on EBay because she had no luck on Yahoo. Incidentally, she has changed her email address 4 times.

#12 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 09:14 PM

I think that ebay should ask for social security number, name and address and one and only one ID be issued per person.

This would cut down on a lot of fraud and also prevent people from having multiple ID's.

#13 EsteeMania

EsteeMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 12:35 AM

Lorraine - I have a suggestion for you that worked well for me. I contacted the US Postal Service and made a mail fraud complaint. This seller was a real skank and I considered her a thief as she had my $ and then ignored me. Needless to say once she got a letter from the USPS fraud unit explaining what the gov was going to do (jail time)she sent the Estee perf out real quick. Check out www.usps.com & they will walk you through the complaint form.

[ June 12, 2002, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: EsteeMania ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users