What is a foo foo cruise, it sounds fab

Margaret

#32 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(Don and Margaret @ Nov 30 2007, 12:34 AM)
Woody,

I remember when gasoline for my car was 25 cents a gallon!

I could always fill my Chevy up for less than $5.  laugh.gif

Don

View Post

If we are playing "I REMEMBER" Here's one for my fellow Brits........

DO YOU REMEMBER SPENDING FARTHINGS.....I DO!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

There were four farthings (they had the little wren bird on the back) to an old penny.

When I used to stay with my Nanna if she had a good bit of money in her purse I would get a penny to go to the sweet shop with but if it was the end of the week and money was scarse I would only get a Farthing.

There's a old nursery rhyme that goes.......

Christmas is coming and the geese are getting fat
Please put a penny in the old mans hat.
If you aint got a penny a farthing will do
If you aint got a farthing THEN GOD BLESS YOU.

Showing my age ohmy.gif Margaret........ laugh.gif

#33 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:24 AM

It was 33 cents a gallon when I started driving in 1973. Yikes! I'm 52 now and paid $3.15 a gallon yesterday. I know you Brits have been paying high prices forever, it's just been the last few yrs it got so crazy pricewise here. I'm lucky I only have a 4 mile commute now. For 16yrs I commuted to Center City Philadelphia, 26 miles each way. 4 yrs ago I transferred to a small Fedex station close to home and only have to fill my tank every 2-3 weeks now. I would have transferred sooner, but it is a really small station, 15 couriers, and positions there rarely open up. I got ut just as prices were really starting to go gaswise. As far as commuting goes I'm glad to be done with that. At least I did it while I was still young!

#34 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:35 AM

Petrol is about $9.20 a gallon over here ( hubby fills the tank so please correct me if I'm wrong )

About 75% IS TAX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif

Margaret

#35 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:46 PM

YIKES! $9.20 a gallon. No wonder European cars are small, how many miles do you get to a gallon of gas? I drive an SUV, a Ford Explorer. I don't think my mileage is too bad, get about 21 miles to the gallon. If we didn't have poor clearing of roads where I live ( of snow in winter, +500 foot drive uphill to my house ), I would drive a hybrid like a Honda Prius. Also, I have to cart 2 Chow Chows around, so I need the room in the back for them. At height of my commuting I was driving 11,000 miles a year, but am now down to 3000 miles a year, so I rationalize that I am not leaving too big of a carbon footprint!

#36 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

YES PETROL IS SO EXPENSIVE OVER HERE, IF IT STANDS STILL LONG ENOUGH OUR GOVERNMENT WILL PUT A TAX ON IT..... laugh.gif mad.gif

We have a Landrover freelander 4x4, it runs on diesel so we get about 38-40 miles per gallon......not so bad. I suppose that there will come a time when we down size to a smaller car ( but not just yet ) in the summer we like to go car booting and so we need the room to cart our goods.

Over here parking is the problem. Our car parks are so expensive.... mad.gif

The out of town retail outlets are free but they charge you by the hour in our City centre. My Husband and I work a 5hour shift in the week and it costs us over 6 or $12 to park the car.... ohmy.gif Toooooooooooooo much out of a days wages ( we split it and pay half each )
Sunday they charge you a flat rate of 2 for the day, thats ok but it can take you upto three quaters of an hour to get out of the place.

I can see a time when all our City centres have a conjestion charge like London.

Margaret...... smile.gif

#37 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:58 PM

Well Margaret if the Congestion charge stops the Congestion of the Lungs, then
I am all for it! blink.gif

Sorry, got to watch Strictly Come Dancing.......back later!

ohmy.gif

#38 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:44 PM

We're pretty lucky here parking wise. All the malls have free parking, and the outlets where I went shopping yesterday had lots of free parking as well. Center City Philadelphia is another matter. If you get ino a parking lot by 7:00AM, you get discount rate, $12 a day. After that you pay a bundle. $3 for every 15 min you are there. Parking in city on weekends is free, as there are no commuters. They run free parking on Wed night as well to encourage people to come into city to eat and shop. I really think that the malls have killed off much of center city shopping because of all the free parking. I would much rather spend that money on myself rather than on a parking garage! I haven't been into city once in 3 yrs since I left because of that reason. Taking the train is a great option, buy if you do alot of shopping you have to lug your goods around with you all day. And don't even get me started on cab drivers in Philly, they are the worst.

#39 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

GOSH ohmy.gif and I thought that our city centre parking was expensive. $3 for every 15mins after a certain time...WAY OVER THE TOP. They must give you real gold parking bays.... laugh.gif It seems that in Derby City centre we are not so hard done by after all.

Most people do use the bus to get into the City but as you say if you want to buy anything heavy you are stuck with carrying it around.

We do have a good park and ride scheme. You go into a free parking area just outside the City then get the bus in for free. To a certain extent this works but on a cold day waiting for a bus it is not much fun.

Margaret...... smile.gif

#40 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(VEGAS LADY @ Nov 30 2007, 11:51 AM)
Hi Ar..... smile.gif

What is a foo foo cruise, it sounds fab

Margaret

View Post

Margaret, a foo foo cruise is a term used for those cruise ships that are floating hotels that hold thousands of passengers, as opposed to sailing ships that provide a true sailing experience. Most cruise ships are foo foos.
Passengers on one sailing line used to "salute" the foo foos by pulling down their pants and revealing where the sun don't shine. I never did it!
Ar

#41 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:50 PM

I just spent a week off at home getting caught up w/life. I would take any cruise, foo foo or not!

#42 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:32 PM

I haven't been on a cruise since I was 3 yrs old. Needless to say I can't remember it. Someday I'd like to take an Alaskan cruise. I've lived in the southern US my entire life, so I get fascinated by cold climate stuff (icebergs). A different world for sure. smile.gif

#43 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

We traveled to New England (6 states in 10 days) during Halloween. That area feels more festive than southern Texas. They have 4 seasons! I wished I had family there I could visit during the holidays. Well, I technical have family still living. I just don't know them -- dad's cousin. Also, I think there's a family feud? sad.gif

Anyway--It was nice seeing all the Halloween decorations. I wished I took pictures. Many locals went all out. smile.gif It doesn't quite feel the same in Texas. sad.gif

We visited a cemetery during Halloween (daytime). Timing was coincidence. laugh.gif My grandpa and several generations of my family came from that small town. I've been doing family genealogy off and on. The highlight of my trip was finding the graves of my ancestors in a very famous cemetery. Not only that, we found the sites by accident! We didn't research the locations ahead of time. I wished I knew where the family immigrated from (the side with my maiden last name). So far, I can't see an end in sight. All I know--We didn't arrive on the Mayflower that's for sure. LOL -- So confusing. tongue.gif

#44 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

Halloween has become a big holiday here in Southeastern PA. I love seeing the decorations and the leaves change colors. I can't imagine living anywhere there wasn't a change in seasons. We had an unusally long fall here this year since summer just didn't want to leave. Most of the leaves didn't fall off the trees til 2 weeks ago. Now things are kind of bleak, but at least lots of people have their Christmas decorations up. Are those big blw-ups people put in their front yards as prevalent elsewhere in the States, or is it just a big thing in PA? I like them at Halloween as it's such an over the top holiday, not so much for Christmas. Last year I saw a blow-up of Homer Simpson in a Santa Claus outfit. Hardly the meaning of Christmas by any means!

#45 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

IN our village you don't see the big blw-ups at all ( hell of a big bang in the night if your neighbour decides he does not like it )..... laugh.gif

Most people just decorate their window or out side trees with fairy lights. The odd one or two people go over the top and spend a small fortune decorating the whole outside of the house....must cost a lot of money in electric bills.

Margaret

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users