• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

I know this is late, but I hope everyone had a very nice thanksgiving holiday. Here are my wishes to each and everyone of you reading this a Happy Holiday Season" as well!

Brigitte your room looks fantastic...thanks for posting your pictures. It makes me wish I did not live half the world away from you and I could just phone you and ask if I could come to your house for a visit and take it all in. biggrin.gif Don't worry, in reality that won't happen although I have been to both Switzerland and Italy several times and just love both places---all so special. Right now, both in Wyoming and Montana we have about 3 inches of snow on the ground so that has put people here in the holiday mood! We have had warm winters these past 4 years so this is nice. Everyone take care during this busy season.

Gigi

#17 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hi Gigi,

you would be very much welcome to visit me.
Also I'd install all the lights even if you came in Summer time smile.gif

Take care,
Brigitte

#18 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:22 AM

Hello Brigitte..... smile.gif

I love your furniture......it would go in my Victorian house soooooooo well.... laugh.gif

Margaret

#19 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

No Jacky we don't have anything like Black Friday over here.

Thanks Chowlover2 for the info on why you call it that, I found it very interesting.

Over here we seem to have sales all the time and Shopping is the British national pastime ( we have the saying......she can shop for England... laugh.gif )
A few years ago we all embraced Sunday opening with open arms.... biggrin.gif

ITS NO WONDER THAT OUR ECONOMY IS RETAIL LEAD. On any given day of the week our retail outlets are teaming with people spending money, and if they can't afford it they put it on the credit card.... ohmy.gif

At one time we just used to have sales at certain times of the year ( the end of season clear out for clothes and the new year sales ) Now outlets like Asda have a six week turnover for clothes....if its not sold in the six week period then they will reduce it on a sale rail, its the way that they keep your interest in their goods, OLD STOCK OUT AND NEW STOCK IN. You see.....always something new to spend your money on.

There is a big difference in a SALE or what some out lets call A ONE DAY WONDER.

For goods to be called a sale and be reduced they have to have been instore at the higher price for 28days, and when they are reduced the higher selling price has to be shown on the sale ticket. ( This is the law )

A one day wonder or promotion can be goods that are bought in cheap to sell at rock bottom prices.

Margaret......now off to work....IN RETAIL. The smile is pasted on my face and my teeth are gritted...... laugh.gif ohmy.gif

#20 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

Teeth gritted! More snow??

Margaret, I wish Sunday shopping would never have been introduced!

Christmas in central London used to be beautiful. Quiet, no cars.........
I remember walking my dog (who is no longer with me) and thinking
how wonderful it was not be bothered by traffic etc.

Then, Sunday trading was allowed. The stores opened, people flocked in to town
and no quiet day of rest!

Then, there used to be sales but not the day after Christmas, i.e. our Boxing Day.....but now........the sales start on Boxing Day and the cars and people
flock to Oxford Street, and the feeling of Christmas and a time for sharing and
caring disappears! Maybe not in Derbyshire Margaret, but here in
London it is a different story.

I recently enjoyed a relaxing two weeks in Germany. Saturday
afternoon the shops closed. Sunday closed all day.........Wonderful. Oh
how I wish we could have our Sundays back again!

sad.gif

#21 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

Hi Everyone,

I know I am late to wish you guys over the pond a Happy Thanksgiving, but I have been away for a week, so hope you all had a good time.

Coming back to what Jacky and Margaret have been saying about Sunday opening times, it wasn't that long ago when there was half day closing too, and yet people still managed to do their shopping between that time. biggrin.gif

That is why independent retail stores, just seem to go overnight as they couldn't afford the staff sad.gif ......I am so pleased that we sold our shop and moved to Norfolk, out of the rat race........life now is soooo layed back.

I am going to Sandringham Christmas craft fare tomorrow followed by a walk on the beach with my hubby and the dogs.....it is a new way of life.

I still envy not being in Florida this winter though......... in the 80's, a bit different here where we need to have jumpers, wellies and a warm coat.

On that thought I am going to snuggle down in bed,

Night, night,

Elly x

#22 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:04 AM

People have forgotton how to have a family day...... A good lunch with a walk afterwards used to be the norm.....Now its rush, rush, rush. No one seems to sit around a table to eat and talk anymore, Its so sad.... sad.gif

Sunday opening has a lot to answer for. In one way it was a good thing because it gave women with children the chance to earn a little money while Dad was at home to look after them BUT...... now when you start a job in retail its very often written into your contract of work that you have to work on a Sunday....and you don't get any extra money for it. ITS BECOME JUST ONE MORE DAY OF THE WEEK.

The only day that the big stores can't open is Easter Sunday and I expect that in a few years that will be forgotton about as well..... mad.gif

Regards...Margaret

#23 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:59 AM

As I get older, I find myself saying "I remember when" a lot! I do remember stores not being open on the Holidays and Christmas activities not starting until after Thanksgiving. I miss those days actually! rolleyes.gif

#24 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

You sure are getting older Woody...... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Join the gang..... Its a good place to be.

I have now got to the age if I can't change it I leave it alone.....SO MUCH LESS STRESS THAT WAY.

But it shows you how over the years the big multible stores have influenced our own personal lives.

Margaret

#25 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

Doesn't it seem incredible that many businesses are open 24/7 and don't close on any major holiday. i.e. Walmart, Home Depot, Loews, some other grocery markets? I always wonder who in the world is out there shopping at midnight to 6am. I have to admit that I liked stores being open on weekends when I went out to business during the week. That meant being able to take my time shopping in the day rather than after office hours when I might be tired or out of sorts if it had been a particularly trying day. It always annoyed me that banks kept such ridiculously short hours when they closed at 2PM. They weren't serving their customers very well. They finally opened up drive thru windows that kept reasonable hours and then began to keep inside open later one or two days. Now I bank at a facility that is within walking distance to home and is open 6 days a week from 8:30 am to 8pm, Sunday from 10 to 4. That seems a little much but maybe that will be the coming norm. Anyway I can get my hands on some quick bucks if I find a solid that I just can't live without.

Sorry but snow doesn't make me sentimental. Brrrrrrr. Never regretted for a moment moving to a warm climate. However, like Woody, love the holiday music -as long as it doesn't start at Haloween. Or even worse 4th of July. But that reminds me of a woud be playboy friend of ours who threw a party every 4th of July. Invitation proclaimed it a take down the Cristrmas tree party. Could never forget the bedraggled trees and the Christmas Carols blaring at the pool in the 95 degree heat. Thank goodness drinks were not hot rum or egg nog. The pinacoladas and margaritas were wonderful. Ah youth!

#26 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

cool.gif Well the Christmas music hasn't quite started over here yet, but the buzz is building up, you can feel it.

We always have 'white winter' decorations over here, so it's kind of normal to see snow things in the 30+degC temperatures that our summer brings us. Sometimes you see the old Santa hanging around with 'thongs' (ie flip-flops, not the knicker kind), and board shorts, but he still has the great big beard and and red coat.

It's great sitting outside with friends, champagne and food enjoying the festive feel and Christmas lights . . . and smelling everyone's BBQ's !!

From your friends in Australia - HAVE A GREAT ONE, EVERYONE !! cool.gif

#27 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

I can't imagine Christmas in hot climates. When I visited California before the holidays one year, I saw Santa on a surfboard. I got quite the laugh over him. In Pennsylvania it's generally cold, but we haven't had a " White Christmas " in ages. I think the last time was in the late 60's to early 70's when I was still a kid. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but my bank is open 7 days a week, and even open on holidays ( except maybe Christmas & Easter ) I like it. First of all remember the " bankers hours " of yesteryear, when they closed at 3:00 everyday. When you work, how can you get to a bank by 3:00. And the only day they were open til 6:00 was Fri and it was mobbed. I think due to crazy work schedules anks had to make the switch or lose business. When I was a teenager I worked in a local dept store and we were closed on Sun which was so nice. They later opened from 12:00 to 6:00 and we were paid time and a half for working on Sun and that was fine with me ( oh youth ) I'm glad I have a job w/weekends off now. My company is closed on Sundays, open for business on Saturday, but that's optional and you are aid time an a half for that. I do have a mandatory Sat coming up, the Sat before Christmas. I work for Fedex and that is our busy time of year. At least everyone comes in and we all work about 4 hrs. I am off this week, and gearing up for the next 3 weeks will be very busy.

#28 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:47 PM

What's everyone doing for the holidays? I am going on a foofoo cruise (ship is Celebrity Millenium) for a week on Dec. 16. We got a great price on a balcony cabin. I will be back on the 23rd, with a couple days to rest before I hit the stores the day after Christmas. That's my favorite shopping day. I go to Yankee Candle to stock up for the year.
Ar

#29 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

Where are you going on your cruise AR? I hear the Celebrity line s fabulous.

#30 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:34 AM

Woody,

I remember when gasoline for my car was 25 cents a gallon!

I could always fill my Chevy up for less than $5. laugh.gif

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users