77 replies to this topic

#31 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:44 AM

Hi Chowlover2..... smile.gif

With the exchange rate being just over two $ to the the solids are a lot cheaper to buy from the USA.

The Beautiful Jeweled Ornament is 250 in Harrods ( that is about $500 ) but in the USA it is only $250.....for a good few years now it has worked out better for us to buy them by the $.

I feel sorry for all you people over the pond that want the Harrods solids it must cost you a fortune in $$$$$$$$$ but I do know that you get our V.A.T. tax taken off
BUT THEN YOU HAVE THE POSTAGE..... sad.gif

Margaret

Enjoy youe shopping trip......WISH IT WAS ME...... laugh.gif

Edited by VEGAS LADY, 30 November 2007 - 08:47 AM.

#32 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:17 AM

It came to $1400 for the 4 Harrods solids ( included shpg ), but I thought it was money well spent. The Harrods solids seem to hold their value and don't turn up on Ebay too often. I am off for the outlets, have a greta day!

#33 MitziMay

MitziMay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE(Karin @ Nov 23 2007, 10:08 PM)
I walked away from a vintage Pucci handbag priced at like $5/2 because I thought it wouldn't fit in with my other purses blink.gif I can't believe I did that, what was I thinking??? Never missed a solid though, maybe because they go with everything....

Karin

View Post

I'm with you Karin, I rarely miss a solid but I have missed bargains in other lines. Perhaps sometimes when we see the price tag we think its too good to be true/genuine!

MitziMay
xxx

#34 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

I almost never find great designer deals at yard sales etc. sad.gif I'm yet to find even the most common of all perfume solids anywhere in town. The closest I came was EL empire necklace and Florenza solids sold at a small town antique store south of Dallas.

Since I live in a business town, I suspect people sell their best stuff on ebay. They sell their junk and bulk items at flea markets, yard sales, and even antique malls. ohmy.gif It's pathetic. Junk from the 1970's-1990's is passed off as "antique". ph34r.gif You are doing well if you find anything from the 1950's!

Edited by greyhound, 03 December 2007 - 01:58 PM.

#35 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:49 PM

I have et to find a " bargain' solid anywhere! I think you may be on to something w/sellers saving them for Ebay. I can't say I blame them. Phyllis from this site has gotten some great solid bargains in FL where she lives. She got a green camellia for $25. Phyllis, if you're out there please share some of you othe bargains w/us.

#36 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

Hi

Okay Chowlover, my best bargains have been $8. the Red Camillia, $20 for a Ginger Jewel, $20 for the Green Camilia, $15 for a Parma Paisley (the one with the red and white).

While at Neiman's today I saw pictures of their new solids coming in January. There is an adorable bicycle, a very nice looking crab and a Strongwater blossom.
I couldn't tell from the picture if the blossom had any crystals. Nor could I get a picture of them right now. One is being mailed to me. Maybe someone else will get a picture to post before then.

Phyllis

#37 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

I can't wait to see the Crab. I love the marine insired solids. I bet the bicycle will be adorable too. Phyllis, you make me drowl w/your bargains!

#38 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

Oops, I mean drool, I'll have to preview my comments before I post!

#39 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

The bicycle sounds neat!! Can't wait to see that one.

#40 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

Great information Phyllis--thanks for letting us know. I was going to make a post here asking if anyone had heard about the 2008 spring solids. We generally know something about that this time of year. Like the rest of you can't wait to see the pics. I'm glad that Neimans is getting some Strongwater solids to sell. It may have not been brought up, but Phyllis or anyone...Did Neimans have prices listed on those solids? I guess I'm just curious and sooner or later we will know about the cost. Thanks.

Gigi

#41 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

Sorry Gigi - Sure would have shared any other information but the sheet I saw had only the pix - no other info. I too would like to know the price tags.

Phyllis

#42 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

Many thanks Phyllis. At least we can assume that Neimans probably won't be giving them away as freebies! laugh.gif

Gigi

#43 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:08 AM

Right, Gigi. There's good reason for their nickname "Needless Markup". Yesterday I went to the Bal Harbour Neiman's - the most upscale one in South Florida. It was an in-circle sales event with designer's or their reps in almost every department. Clive Christian, of the "world's most expensive perfume" fame ,and his group were giving a presentation and showing and selling their latest perfume in beautiful bottles and boxes. A set of there three average size bottles were selling for $1000. Of course he was happy to sign the box for any purchase. One of our IPBA members from Florida had been invited to the presale presentation and she introuced me to Clive and his daughter Victoria. He also had some bottles with a one carat diamond in the design at the neck. I didn't even ask the price on those. Champagne and hor's douvres and sweets were being served and there was a string quartet playing at the main entrance to the store. Very la-di-da and a lot of fun.

Phyllis

#44 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:02 AM

You are so lucky to get events like that, what a super day out it must have made......almost worth crossing the pond for..... laugh.gif

Margaret

#45 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

Margaret, I can't help thinking we should stage an event of our own!

I think we are just the poor relations.... ohmy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users