77 replies to this topic

#16 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:58 AM

Hi Chowerlover2..... smile.gif

As most people know on this site I am a big fan of Las Vegas, My husband and I were married there 10years ago and have been back a good few times since. It was during this trip that I first saw the E.L. soilds. Being a powder collector at first I resisted... dry.gif BUT NOT FOR LONG.... laugh.gif Not only did I come home with a lot of new powders I added a good few soilds as well..... ohmy.gif ( you should have seen me coming through the customs trying to pretend that my suitcase was'nt heavy.... laugh.gif ) and my poor husband was bent double with the weight of his backpack and as we say the rest is history......

One of the first ones I bought was the coach and can you believe that I turned down the roulette wheel and the slot machine..... sad.gif

On the whole I do tend to buy the very old powder compacts more that the E.L. ones but every year I will pick out and buy what I think are the best ones in the E.L. range.....and this year the Harrods one came out the best for me.

Not sure how well the Harrods solids are selling this year ( Jacky might know )
I expect that this year they will have gone well as they have been outstanding ( I have not bought any as I am very cautious as to what will appear on ebay in the coming months ) ........ DON'T ALL S.A's TELL YOU THAT THE SOLIDS ARE SELLING OUT ........ laugh.gif laugh.gif I think its their general sales pitch to get you to buy.

Regards Margaret...... smile.gif

#17 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

Hi mybuffy69.... smile.gif

I think you did the right thing in buying the grammaphone over the birdcage.....its a lovely piece.

Hi Woody..... smile.gif

Thanks for the pic as you know I do love this one.

Hello Don and Margaret..... smile.gif

Good to hear from you.....Glad you like our Little Old England.... laugh.gif but don't tell me that you like our weather as well.... dry.gif laugh.gif

My best wishes to you all.

Margaret

#18 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am back, and thanks to Jackie's post I don't feel too bad on "re-entering" this wonderful site.

I have been away far too long due to personal reason's, and I gather some people may have dropped out of posting, it is such a shame as I looked forward to all the chat on the site.

Now I have time to myself again albeit that it is nearly 1 am, and should be in bed, but you ladies give this site a closeness even though some of us have not met.

Marg has given me laughter when I needed it, and Jacky keeps intouch with her e-mails and jokes, Jeanne is a good friend and e-mails me.

I look forward to more letters online and information on solids, I stopped collecting but I am still interested and you never know folks, you may see me bidding again.......LOL.

Thanks for your friendship,

Love to you all,

Elly.

#19 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

Hi to you all! It was like old times reading the posts. Elly, so pleased to see you and do hope you will start collecting again!

Woody, thanks for the link! Have missed not being able to view the Members Photos!

Don and Margaret..........or............Margaret and Don..........missed the Texan drawl!

Am definitely going to get some sleep now..........I had forgotten what it was like to sit typing on the laptop in the middle of the night!

More tomorrow!

Edited by Jacqueline, 17 November 2007 - 09:49 PM.

#20 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

Margaret,
I bought the roulette wheel, decided I didn't like it, listed it at retail price on Ebay with no takers. So I sent it back to Vegas. Now I could kick myself! WHAT WAS I THINKING???
Ar

#21 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

Hello Ar,

Don't feel bad! I wish I had never sold my Harrods Bag and also, wait for it......

I exchanged my Harrods Green coated bear for two other solids which you can
pick up at anytime now! Ugh!

Anyone have any other experiences i.e. like trading an Imperial Princess for
a general line..LOL.... We all make mistakes and some of us have to learn
the hard way. All part of collecting I suppose! huh.gif

#22 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Jacky for making us all talk. Its just grand to read every single post here.

Jacky you bring up a very good point about solid collecting and letting solids go, not buying or keeping ones we should have. I can't help but think everyone here has had the same or similar experience. I made the conclusion this is a part of the solid perfume collecting experience-oh fun mad.gif . Yes, its happened to me more than once. I had an Imperial Princess and the Roulette wheel both in my hands and collection and then I gave them away as gifts! ohmy.gif mad.gif sad.gif Yep, what was I thinking? Oh ya now I remember I didn't have my head on...my brain was on vacation. Oh well, such it goes but I do treasure and enjoy each solid I have now in my collection. biggrin.gif

Gigi

#23 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:10 AM

Hi All...... smile.gif

After reading the last few posts I now don't feel so bad about telling this tale ( only Jacky knows )

TWO YEARS AGO I WALKED AWAY FROM A FULL SET OF IVORIES.... mad.gif

They were in a case with a lot of Chinese netsuke and all priced at about 10-15
When I got home I thought better and a few days later went back for them.....Of course they had GONE.... ohmy.gif I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WAS THINKING THAT DAY... ph34r.gif That as my biggest senior moment so far... laugh.gif

Regards to you all........Margaret

#24 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

I walked away from a vintage Pucci handbag priced at like $5/2 because I thought it wouldn't fit in with my other purses blink.gif I can't believe I did that, what was I thinking??? Never missed a solid though, maybe because they go with everything....

Karin

#25 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

oHHHHHH Karin......what did you miss! Reminds me of when I was in the
Middle East and missed out on a diamond ring which was worth a few thousand
pounds but the OOO's had been left off! No-one would believe me when I said
we should buy the ring! The next day, it was too late!

Well, as far as receiving an Imperial Princess as a gift, that would be something
else!

I was huh.gif ohmy.gif huh.gif when Margaret told me about the Ivories! Well,
I love reading these stories......and expect there are alot more to come!

smile.gif

Edited by Jacqueline, 24 November 2007 - 05:54 PM.

#26 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

smile.gif G'day EVERYONE !!

Yes - this post and replies seem just like 'the old days' chitter chatter. So, of course I had to respond - it's sort of like a reunion. I used to check this site out daily (usually at work!) for 2 years when I first joined, but now it's only once a month as I got very busy at work and in my life and then also lost interest in collecting solids when they went 'cheap as chips' on Ebay. However, I still enjoy the many I have and cherish the friendships I have made through collecting them.

I remember fondly the laughs and personalities we have had on the site over the years, and now with the newer members posting, it's beginning to be much the same!

I've enjoyed lurking about reading the posts and seeing new friendships form across the world.

Even though I may not post very often, it's just amazing to 'catch up' with people new and old through this site. It's invaluable. I hope everyone is well and sympathise with those who have had a rough trot.

Take care everyone - I am well and apologise for not 'joining in' all the time, but actually I have to do it on the sneak because I'll get into strife otherwise ! (yes, I'm at work as I write!)

biggrin.gif

Edited by Sandra, 28 November 2007 - 07:52 PM.

#27 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:07 PM

I am hoping solids are on the upswing. The Tuberose Gardenia is selling quite high on Ebay considering most of the time it doesn't have a box. Here's a question for you ladies across the pond. Are there actually people coming to the States from the UK to shop since the US$ is so low? I was watching my evening news tonight, and they showed people from the UK who were taking flying to the States to Christmas shop. Is this really happening???

#28 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:35 PM

Oh, Margaret, my heart is aching over those ivories! I'm glad to hear these stories so I know I'm not the only one who has regrets over a decision...

Chowlover, I don't know about buyers from overseas, but Canadians were flocking over the border for the T-giving Day sales last Friday (I was in Buffalo). Many got hotel rooms so they could start shopping at midnight at the outlets and then the other stores opening in the early a.m. hours. The Canadian dollar is very strong and apparently the store selection is better on the U.S. side. Are there any Canadian friends reading this?
Ar

#29 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:13 AM

Hi Chowlover2

YES !!!!!!!! What you see is all true..... laugh.gif For a good few years now it has been a good bargin for us Brits to Shop by the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Its now over two to the pound and doubles our spending money...... laugh.gif

New York and Boston seem to be the fav's. The travel companies run two, three and five day trips with hotel room included...Its a good deal and you get to see another city.

My friend and I were going to go to N.Y. this year for a spot of retail madness but then we both had to work...... mad.gif .......but we may go for the sales after Christmas.

The Brits now shop for England....... In the U.S.A........ laugh.gif laugh.gif

Regards.......Margaret..... smile.gif

#30 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

Does that mean the solids are cheaper for you on this side of the pond as well??? If you are looking for bargains, come in Jan or Feb. Stores make a big push so the spring and summer goods can come in. I am going outlet shopping tomorrow, I never find any bargains at the CCS where we're headed. The solids are usually much cheaper on Ebay. I want to buy some new dishes, so I'll hit the Pfaltzgraft outlet and get some good buys. Will check out the Coach outlet, but that is hit or miss. There are some nice Christmas shops as well closeby, and a great Mall, so we will do it all ( and pay for it when I wake up Saturday AM, oh to be young again ) I was at Neimans today and it was the first I saw the Great Wall solid. I love it, the pictures don't do it justice. Didn't buy it though, am saving my funds for the trip tomorrow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users