• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:46 PM

I was talking with a friend (solid perfume collector) the other day. I have not asked her if I could mention her name but I am sure if she reads this she will
know who I am referring to, and hopefully, will say........

We mentioned how no-one appears to be writing on the Solid Perfume Site and that
if we are not careful and willing to contribute, we will lose this wonderful site.

I joined Solid Perfume in 2002 when it was buzzing with
different ideas, different people with different opinions and thoughts! It was a
site where at times the content became quite heated. Yes, even talking about
solid perfumes, the designs and all that is going on out there with Warehouse Sales, prices etc., etc., caused divisions between many collectors. But it was
a healthy site in as much as it gave us room to think, analyse and discuss.

Under Lisa and Jack's watchful eye, this site blossomed and I am sure you will
agree, became the most amazing place to discuss, share and collect Estee Lauder solid
perfumes. We also had members who shared a wealth of information about other solid perfumes. One of them, I remember so well, and her little dragon at the top of the page, is a reminder of a very special person!

Estee Lauder owe Lisa and Jack deep gratitude for encouraging so many
collectors to continue and enjoy their collections and for providing a site of such high calibre. And so do we..........

We also have SwissLady whose site is an absolute wealth of information as a reference and to enjoy. The amount of work which has gone in to creating
such detailed information and pictures etc., must have been relentless.

I hope no-one objects to my writing the above and Lisa and Jack that you are not upset by these words. If so I will have no problem in deleting.

All I and I am sure my friend is asking, is that we do not neglect Solid Perfume
as once we do, and she disappears from our screens, we will lose oceans of friends and knowledge. Personally, I think that would be so very, very sad!

Edited by Jacqueline, 08 November 2007 - 05:56 PM.

#2 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:44 PM

Well said Jacqueline! I too have checked the site daily and no one has been writing anything. I joined about a year and a half ago, and have made so many wonderful friends through the site I would hate to lose it. I don't know why no one is posting. I think this years new releases is quite exceptional, particularly the general distribution solids. I am quite smitten with the Jingle Bell and the Snail. I am not a collector of the Cameos, but I really like this years version and will probably buy that as well.I think they are great buys for the price. I think perhaps you just have to be a bit more picky about what solids you buy. I splurged and bought all 4 of the Harrods this year as they seem to hold their value. I realize it's quite disheartening to pay full price for a solid only to find it on Ebay a week later and have it sell for a fraction of it's price, but that is a pitfall of being a collector. I don't think I have ever collected anything where I made money when I resold. I was interested in the Tuberose Gardenia, but now not so much as it has been selling cheaply on Ebay. If I can get it for a good price I may snag it. I think the Grammophone, Plane and Sailboat are all good buys on the higher price end of the solid spectrum this year. I'm also pleased that many of the new scents that are non EL are coming out with solids. I had to have the Coach as I am a big buyer of Coach handbags, and I love the new L.A.M.B solid by Gwen Stefani. C'mon everyone---LET"S TALK SOLIDS!!!

#3 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:48 AM

Thanks Jacqueline.

I have been thinking about this board too lately and how I have missed all the chatter about the new solids. The likes and dislikes,especially Lisa's detailed descriptions and photos.
Being in Aus it is hard to see some of the solids in person, and I really enjoy reading about others " up close and personal" with the solids.
Before finding this site i was totally in the dark about solid perfume collecting and never knew about all the other solids available out there. I love reading about every ones finds and purchases .

I would hate to see this board not here ,for all Lisa's hard work to be gone.
I don't have a lot to offer but I'm am very grateful ,for the valuable and informative input from others that have such a depth of knowledge of solids and collecting.

#4 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:01 AM

Bravo! Well said! I too have missed the postings and friendships from the site! I admit I haven't been as diligent in posting. Still very "into" EL solids and especially powders. I think a lot of the lack of interest in that so many people aren't buying the new ones anymore, or have cut way back. I know I have only purchased the Harrods items, the plane and the gramophone. The rest I will wait on. I did buy the special powder compact set and will post a picture soon and just purchased some older powders that I am very excited about......stay tuned for pics!

Woody smile.gif

#5 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:14 AM

Hello Jacky...... smile.gif

Good to see that you made our conversation into a post, I find it so sad that no one seems to take the time to post anymore.... sad.gif

I make looking into the site part of my daily routine ( and yes! I do go to work and its not always easy to find the time, ) but I still try and keep up the commitment.

Lets all ask ourselves would we know half the people in other parts of the world if we had not joined this site.....My answer would be NO.

The friends I have made and the people I have met have been truly amazing and its all thanks to this site.

Lets all try to make an effort to post a little more. Even if its talk of the weather or a funny thing that happened to you other people in other parts of the world find little snippets like that interesting.....I know I do..... laugh.gif

Hi chowlover2.... smile.gif

Please tell me what the Coach and the L.A.M.B solid are.....see how easy it is to mention something and create another post that is interesting.

Kind Regards to all.......Margaret..... biggrin.gif

#6 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:18 AM

Hi Woody...... laugh.gif

Did you mention POWDERS. Can't wait for the pics.......GOOD FOR YOU

Margaret......waiting with baited breath... biggrin.gif laugh.gif

#7 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hi Margaret, the Coach solid looks just like the tag that comes on the Coach handbags. It's silver w/red printing. I love the handbags so I had to have the solid! I think it runs $40 US, but youcan usually buy on Ebay cheaper. The L.A.M.B solid is really a nice heavy piece. It is 2 interlocking LLs'. It has been high on Ebay, but if you just want to look at it they have it at Nordstrom.com where it is $42 US. I did buy the Sarah Jessica Parker Covet solid. Not very impressive, cheap plastic flower, but I like the perfume and will carry that one in my handbag. I think it's a good thing that new perfumes are putting solids out, for the longest time EL was the only game in town. Are there Harrods powders that are exclusives, and what do they look like? I worked alot of overtime this past summer so I could afford the Harrods solids. I'm glad I did as I am thrilled with them. I now wish I had gotten the Holt Renfrew shopping bag...

#8 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:01 AM

smile.gif I must say it was really very interesting reading the recent posts. Thanks so much Margaret for revealing yourself ph34r.gif No more undercover work for you eh! What you wrote is so true! Had it not been for this site we would never have met and I would have missed out on a beautiful friend.

Nettie, Margaret and I live in the U.K. but not exactly around the corner from one another! We have both met Klassicguy and many other Collectors and when buying and selling and exchanging conversation/news/etc., it makes the 'world'
of difference having this opportunity on a more personal level.

Thanks so much Chowlover for stepping in as quickly as you did with a reply.
I think we are all having some problems moving around on the site (so to speak)
and if Klassicguy could put some pictures in the content of the text here, that would be great. Thanks Woody!

Meanwhile I am really interested in the Coach......as explained to Margaret. Would love to see pictures......dying to see pictures.......! It is very interesting to read about these other solids.

Recently I decided to sell off some of my Swarovski collection. Have kept back the Piano which fits in nicely with my two E.L. pianos, and the Corday birdcage sits nicely with the E.L. one too. I have a beautiful Swarovski Vase of flowers......but no similar E.L. one.

Re the new solids out now, am not sure what I will be purchasing (what finances will allow). Have been concentrating on some of the older ones that I do not have! You could say......

THERE'S LIFE IN ESTEE LAUDER YET!

cool.gif

#9 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:45 AM

Hi Chowlover2..... smile.gif

Thanks for the reply. I looked under Nordstrom.com and found the Gwen Stefani Solid. Its look a nice heavy piece and very very elegant, I will look out for it.

Harrods have done their own initial powder compact this year. ( Look under brochures 2007, Aug 5th posted by Brigitte for a picture ) I have this compact and I have to say that no picture that I have seen does it justice. The whole compact is done in the Harrods green crystal and the initial H is picked out in gold crystal. I.M.H.O. its beautiful and the one to get...the price is 100 or about $200... ohmy.gif but well worth the expence.

I do agree with you that the Harrods solids are stunning this year and they do tend to hold their value quiet well.

I have a fondness for the Dior lipgloss collectables. I have the two rings ( thanks to Jacky.... smile.gif ) the silver and bronz cubes, bracelette and Pretty Charm. They are all such fun things and so girlie.

Kind Regards....Its good to talk

Margaret

Edited by VEGAS LADY, 13 November 2007 - 10:45 AM.

#10 mybuffy69

mybuffy69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

Hi All-
I am a random poster, but read your posts often for information and consider your advice to be golden. My few questions or comments that I have posted here have always been met with kindness and consideration- thank you!

I purchased the grammophone this year. The first time for me to get one of the 'exclusives'. I am SO happy with it. In fact, it was a toss up between it and the birdcage, but I settled for the grammaphone.

I think it's exciting too that other perfumers have decided to start producing solids- ahh.. more ways to spend our money!! rolleyes.gif

I think my love for solids started as a little girl. My VERY first 'solid' was a teddy bear lapel pin- his stomach opened up to reveal the solid perfume. Can't tell you know what the scent was, but it was from AVON. I LOVED it. Still played with it long after the perfume was gone. So it's been engrained in me for a long long time! LOL... happy collecting all!!
B

#11 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

Perhaps Woody will post a picture of the Harrods'powder. I quite like the Cordays, and Phyllis ( from this site ) turned me n to Kenneth Jay Lane. She posted some pictures on the website awhile back. I managed to find one on Ebay a few months ago and was very pleased when it arrived ( both with the price and the solid. He still makes costume jewelry in the US, but doesn't seem to make solid perfumes anymore. I broke down and bought the EL cameo this year. I love it because it doesn't look like a traditional cameo, but like the bottles EL perfume came in ages ago. Have you been collecting long Margaret? I bought my first solid when then Imperial Dog came out in the late 70's. ( am always kicking myself that it wasn't a princess or panda) Then nothing til the Pleasures puppies came out in the 90's. I didn't even know most of this stuff ( except for the general distribution solids ) existed til about 2001 when a Neiman Marcus came to town. I resisted the circus series when I saw it there, but I should know myself better. I started getting infatuated w/solids when I put a general search in my computer engine and found Lisas' site.It will be 2 years in Feb and it is safe to say I have gone solid crazy. I am resisting new solids as I am afraid they will show up on Ebay in a few months. I buy anything I like not just Els, and there is alot of nice stuff on the market. I really want an old Polly Bergen solid from the late 70's, called Tortue in a turtle solid. I missed the boat on the last one as I only had so much money to spend. I'll catch one eventually. How did you start collecting? Connie

#12 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

I just got your email Margaret, the Harrods powder is beautiful!Do the Harrods solid sell out quickly in the UK? The solids here in the States ( at least the Philadelphia area seem to be languishing on the shelves....)

#13 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hi everyone! I have posted a pic of the new Estee Lauder Harrods Powder Compact at my Yahoo Photos page. Click on the link below to see!

I haven't figured out how to imbed the actual photo on the site yet, but will work on it...

Woody smile.gif

http://www.flickr.co...N07/2016659449/

Edited by klassicguy1, 14 November 2007 - 07:47 AM.

#14 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:32 PM

The powder compact is beautiful Woody, how long has Harrods been putting out the exclusives in the powder compacts? can you post more pics when yu have a chance?

#15 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:44 AM

It is really great to hear from some people again. Thanks so much Jacky. smile.gif

We should all make an effort to post at least once or twice a month just so we don't lose touch with all of the friends that we have made.

Really nice picture of the Harrods' powder Woody. Ever since Summer went to live in London we have been Anglophiles. (we hope that is the right word for being fans of all things English).

We will make every effort to stay in touch and post some pictures once in a while. Maybe Jack and Lisa can get the Members photos section going again soon. We miss seeing everyones' photos. unsure.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users