Photo

New To Collecting. Where To Get Started?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jillipede

Jillipede

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

Hello all! I am a new member to the forum. I am really interested in starting to collect EL solids and powder compacts. I have been looking on ebay and amazon.com trying to gather info about what's out there. If I could get just one book, what should it be? What I would really like to know is what other websites in addition to this one are there for gathering info about the solids and powder compacts. Any and all info is wonderful and appreciated.. I really appreciate the help! Thank you kindly and I can't wait to get collecting! Jill

#2 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:33 AM

Hi Jill, welcome to the family.

I am not a "serious" collector like lots of the members here, I started just buying pieces that meant something special to me eg. the Roulette Wheel from Las Vegas, The Piano because ONE DAY I will start playing again !!!!

The book about the EL products is generally available on Ebay - I had mine given at the EL shop in Vegas. However be careful - if you get the book and see all the gorgeous perfumes and compacts your bank balance could take a serious battering!!!

All I can say is just enjoy whatever you buy, and if you get them from the retail outlets, Ebay or flea markets it really doesn't matter.

Bienvenue from rural France

Caroline

#3 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:13 AM

Hello Jill....WELCOME.... laugh.gif

The book to buy is....The Estee Lauder Solid Perfume Compact Collection 1967 to 2001.

RubyLane.com is another good site but expensive.

Click on our data base you will find most of the solids there, also look under the for sale heading.

If you are wanting anything make a post on the site for it, you never know what people have for sale and with us you always know that you are getting what you expect.

Hope this helps........Margaret.... smile.gif

HELLO CAROLINE.... smile.gif GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU.... wink.gif

#4 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:25 AM

Welcome Jill! You already have the book info from Margaret. It is easily found on Ebay. And you will find many solids and powders there as well.

Happy Hunting!

Woody

#5 Jillipede

Jillipede

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

Thanks everyone! I just ordered the book from Amazon. I am excited to see what is out there. I have a few more questions.. and thanks in advance for the responses. You guys are great!

1) Are the solids and powder compacts available during the holiday season online at the estee lauder website? and.. when do they become available for sale? Novermber? December?

2) If so, do they generally sell out quickly online from EL website?

3) Are there any other brands of powder refills that fit the EL powder compacts and are compatable with the magnet system?

4) I live in Lincoln, NE. Will the EL counter at my local mall carry the solids and powder compacts during the holidays?

5) Do members of this board mostly discuss the perfume solids vs. the powder compacts and is it okay to post a "wanted" for a EL powder compact?

6) Are there any books available that feature the EL powder compacts (similar to her book about the solids)?

Thanks again! Jill

Edited by Jillipede, 04 June 2007 - 01:06 PM.

#6 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:43 PM

Hello Jill!
I can answer question 6):
Roselyn Gerson has written a book "Vintage and Vogue Ladies Compact - Second Edition" which can also be found on Amazon. There are pictures of several EL powder compacts in it. But beware, there are also a lot of gorgeous vintage powder compacts pictured so you may want to start out collecting them as well biggrin.gif

Karin

#7 Joni

Joni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi Jill,
I don't collect the powders but I can help a little bit with the solids. Your local dept. store such as Nordstroms or Macys should get the General Distribution solids around mid-October. These are the ones that cost about $80 each. Usually about 5 different solids. I know Neiman Marcus and Saks also have their own solids but
since neither of those department stores are in my area I can't help you much with those.

There is an Estee Lauder store in Las Vegas (also I believe one in New YorK). They do sometimes get the more expensive solids in as well as some of the powders. The phone number for the Las Vegas store should be under the tab
above "Store Locations".

Hope this helps al little bit.

Joni tongue.gif

#8 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

ALSO LOOK ON THE NEIMAN MARCUS AND SAKS WEB SITE.

MANY OF US ALSO COLLECT THE POWDERS....SO JUST ASK, YOU NEVER KNOW.

Margaret

#9 cottagecosmetics

cottagecosmetics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

Welcome Jill!

I'm fairly new also, and these folks here have been extremely helpful to me, so don't be shy!

5) Do members of this board mostly discuss the perfume solids vs. the powder compacts and is it okay to post a "wanted" for a EL powder compact?

Mostly solids are discussed here, but I do know that several of the members also collect the powder compacts (including myself)...I don't see a problem with posting a wanted request in the "Solids For Sale" area.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! biggrin.gif

3) Are there any other brands of powder refills that fit the EL powder compacts and are compatable with the magnet system?

Not to my knowledge, and I'll have to show my ignorance here - what is the magnet system? Refills that are held in a compact by a magnet? (Duh?)

Enjoy your time here, and if you also buy the powder book, you won't regret it!

Lisa

Edited by cottagecosmetics, 04 June 2007 - 06:32 PM.

#10 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

Welcome Jill! Micky Sinai at the EL store in Manhasset is wonderful! Her tollfree number is ( 888 ) 731-6024. The EL store in Manhasset and Las Vegas get all the Neiman and Saks solids eventually, and you get bonus bucks from whatever you buy thru those 2 stores. A couple of members on the site had problems when ordering from Las Vegas lately, so I highly reccommend Micky. She can tell you or send you a list of what she has in the store. She will also email you the new solids when they become available. I also can't speak highly enough of Woody on this website ( Klassicguy ) He buys up collections of solids from people who are tired of collecting and always has something exciting at a great price! Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users