• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Lisa and I promise to get back into the swing of things here and we'll keep things updated!

#17 lunasee

lunasee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE(Lisa @ Apr 25 2007, 12:16 PM)
Hi everyone,

First, sorry for being away so long- truth is I got so disgusted and discouraged about solids being sold on eBay, I'm not talking about collectors or others from selling, I'm talking about the warehouse sales, outlet stores, factory rejects etc......

I just gave up something I really loved and it just made me too sad to come to the site. Too bad it had to come to this but Estee Lauder I am sure could care less. sad.gif

I am asking for help in letting me know what I need to update as well as solids missing from the database.

I really am in the dark and am opening the door a crack.

Thanks and I hope you are all still around!

View Post

Hi everyone. I have not posted anything for a long time. I have been out of commission and touch with the whole solid market including vanity items. I am working hard to get back into my enjoyment for solids, etc. I have stop purchasing solids from Estee in 2004 due to there constance lying and over run production. I tend to have a big mouth and speak before I think. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif I have let Estee corporate know of my opinion several time. I see still falling on deaf ears.

I was just on ebay and decided to search. I was going to ask a question on why there are so many more empty solids on ebay and where they were coming from? Lisa you kind of answered my question. I'm wondering is Estee still producing empty compacts and no packaging for the sake of pure capitalism? It appears they have gotten worse over the past few years. Wondering how long this has actually been going on? (Am I going to be sick again? sad.gif )Is there another company that is involved in production? Would appreciate your opinions and knowledge to my questions.

#18 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:16 PM

Hi Lisa and Jack, I'd just like to add my two pennies worth as well. I agree with everything that has been written and agree that, although I joined this site to gain information (and what an informative lot you all are) about solids, I gained so much more than that. There are some really great members here and I am so glad I joined. I don't get a chance to check in as often now as I would like but..... well, one of my favourite shows was Cheers and to me, that was what this site was. People could pop in and friends welcomed them no matter how long they had been away. Thank you both for setting this up. It would be sorely missed if it wasn't around.

#19 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

cool.gif Good to see you guys back finally !!

I have been wondering what's up and thank you Lisa for sharing even when you have been feeling low, it's good to know you are attempting to bounce back even if a little by little.

Don't ever be that sad about this site - it's BRILLIANT !!

Look at all the HAPPY HAPPY members and fans you have made on this site from all over the world!

EL may disappoint with their ways, but this site is proof of the human spirit getting past that.

Even when I have been down and not feeling like posting, I have come to this site for a bit of a smile and giggle with my 'friends'.

Take care, and once again, "so GOOD to see ya back, mate!! "

Edited by Sandra, 07 May 2007 - 11:04 PM.

#20 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:27 PM

Hi Lisa biggrin.gif

If you're going to update you might not want to forget the solids that came out early this year - Radiant Seahorse-PWL $250 Sea Urchin-Pleasures $175
Shimmering Starfish-Beautiful $225 and the Heritage White Linen Solid Perfume Pendant $150 all 2007s plus the new stuff from Woody, Phyllis, etc....sorry if I missed someone...

Hope to hear from you soon....take care

Katita biggrin.gif

#21 pinkmoiree

pinkmoiree

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:32 AM

smile.gif It's so good to have you back here again! My thoughts have been with you many a time.

My collecting solids has not been too brisk lately but I hope I'll get catched again

Madeleine

#22 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:25 PM

Hi Everyone:

I TOTALLY agree w/everyone's posts and even though I haven't been posting a lot, I did notice that Lisa and Jack were absent from the site for quite a time. I too have been discouraged by what has been happening w/EL solids and have made my opinions known to the sales people at the EL counters at SAKs, Neiman's, and Nordstrom's. I haven't purchased a new solid or powder compact in the longest time. My last solid was the Vegas dice and I still plan to get the poker chip...However, I find myself looking for ways to save money...i.e no tax and free or reasonable shipping. I also find myself waiting to see what shows up on Ebay and in the outlet stores for EL, SAK's, and Neiman's. I do know that department stores regularly send back to the warehouses of the cosmetic companies pieces that don't sell...they are usually the holiday items (like Dior) as well as solids from EL. I did notice however, that dept. stores in my area seem to be still holding onto some of the holiday compacts...both solids and powders. Maybe EL won't allow them to be returned? huh.gif I do know as we all do, that the cosmetics business is a billion-dollar-a-year money maker and that the sale of solids and collectible compacts or holiday novelty items are not where these companies make their financial killing...so why should EL care? I'll bet dollars to donuts that the production costs for the solids (and probably for the compacts) are high and that means the EL's profit margin on these items is quite minimal. This being the case, EL would not miss selling the solids at all. Because the powder compacts are refillable to the tune of $9 a pop, it makes sense to keep production of those items because the refill sales are soooooo profitable.

I am surprised that EL hasn't gone w/the idea of a refillable collector's bottle. Thierry Mugler (I think) has the right idea w/his production of the refillable Angel perfume line.

OK...that's my 10 cents worth! laugh.gif

Edited by 2cute4u2, 20 June 2007 - 12:31 PM.

#23 pamelazadiva

pamelazadiva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

unsure.gif I joined this website a couple of years ago but really did not pursue. I just got an incredible deal on Ebay and decided to hit this site again and was very discouraged to see that the resale prices have gone down here as well.

BUT I want to assure you that this is happening with EVERYTHING! You see, I am a part time Ebay seller myself who specializes in Disney items mostly. I use Ebay to pay for my collecting habits and one of those habits comes in the form of Estee Lauder perfume solids. I don't buy a lot, but my income has gone down.

ALL SALES ARE DOWN. It is not just the perfume solids. Where you used to be able to list something for $10 and see it go way up, you don't dare do that anymore. You have to list for the minimum of what you want to get which costs more in fees and discourages a lot of people from listing.

Where I used to sell about 80% of what I listed, I am now selling around 35% of what I am listing. It is horribly discouraging. But when the economy turns around I have every confidence that this will too.

Please don't be discouraged!

Edited by pamelazadiva, 20 June 2007 - 12:55 PM.

#24 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

It's been over 3 years since I've actively collected the Estee solids. I have been very busy, but I have to admit, I am disgusted by what I see on Ebay and Estee Lauder's apparent lack of compassion towards their collectors. I get the new Harrod's Bear each year and that's about it with few exceptions. As for the empty solids on Ebay, I know how to make solid perfume and can make something that is pretty close to what they do.

Also, I opened up some of the solids I bought just from the past 3 years and all of the black rubbery lettering (inside the compacts that goes over the "Estee Lauder" stamp) is coming off! How do you like that?

I say the heck with EL! The people running the company obviously didn't share EL's idea of customer service!

I love what you're doing with this site for collectors and have met so many nice people to share ideas and collect with. You'd think EL would have thought of it first but they're too busy making money to care about their devoted collectors. unsure.gif

#25 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

I have not been visiting the site so much lately. Must admit I have become more than a little fed up with what is happening on Ebay. I see the beautiful older solids being churned out over and over again and the new collectors
I am sure have the idea that when you have something to sell and offer it at a realistic price that you are trying to rip them off! How do you start explaining to collectors who have not been with us over the years, that they are buying items
which are not those produced way back. They were not around when we would
hold our breath and bid high because a beautiful rare item was up for sale. I shall never forget the excitement we all shared watching the bidding on the Panda and enjoying the fact that one of our collectors on this site actually won the item!
I also shall never forget how we all used to exhange ideas and even end up arguing on the site! I miss those days! I miss Lisa and Jack, Michelle, Denise ,Pamela, Sandra and everyone else. Too long a list to mention every name. This site was a haven to get away from everything although then we did not have the ups and downs which we are experiencing with the economy on all sides of the world. I wonder what Michaela is thinking as she looks down on all of us. Her little Dragon is a constant reminder, if one needs the little Dragon to remember her. We had wonderful pictures to look at from Ann and Ken and our own pictures in the members section too. Yes, we had some lovely friends writing, arguing and everything else than went along with collecting.

To all those friends all over the world I just want to say you are not forgotten!

May you all have a wonderful Christmas and a Peaceful, Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year. To Lisa and Jack, it would be wonderful if you could
join us all with a toast to 2009..........

#26 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

Me too Jacky concerning your above post. Well said.

I too miss everyone. I do understand there may be various reasons from the "old" time members about not posting. However, I do miss the good old days. I will never forget those times and especially the warm welcome from everyone when I finally joined this board. It was so overwhelming to read the warm and positive posts. No, not forgotten by me at all. smile.gif

But its on to the future. Can't wait to hear about the 2009 Spring solids--haven't heard anything yet.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas to all and my best wishes for a Happy 2009 to everyone reading this.

Gigi

#27 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

[SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]
Hi Jacky..... smile.gif

Oh!!!!!!! that post sure came from the heart. I miss the old collectors as well. I still look in a couple of times a day to see if anybody has posted ( old habits die hard )

At one time I could not wait for my morning coffee because that was the time I read the posts that had come in and added my contribution...but now..... sad.gif and in the early hours of the morning when I had been working lates and could not sleep I found it relaxing to look into the site.

I often think of all the people who we have got to know over the years and how their lives are going.

Connie, I was thinking of you the other night...bet you are busy delivering your parcels for Christmas, and how are the animals that visit your garden doing.

I do wish you all a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS and perhaps we could all make a NEW YEAR RESOLUTION to make a post and catch up with each other

Kind regards to you all ......Margaret

#28 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

Hi Margaret, how have you been? I have missed you. I have actually been off the last week from work. I try to take the week after Thanksgiving so I can get my Christmas decorations up. If I don't do it now it won't get done. It was starting to get busy Thanksgiving week, so I know it will be crazy when I go back. Fedex is not expecting a busy peak season for us this year. I think they will be wrong. People scrimp and save but will buy for Christmas. This past Fri was my yearly trek up to the outlet center in Lancaster PA. I have been going there the week after Thanksgiving for 25 yrs. I never saw crowds up there the way I did on Fri. There were a lot of great bargains to be had ( not at EL outlet ) and I did more than my share of stimulating the economy. I pay cash for everything. so I think if you have money there are some great bargains to be had. I was thinking of the girls in the UK when I saw a newscast on Black Friday. There were 3 women from the UK who are making a yearly trip to the US to shop the Black Friday sales, They were making a week long trip and felt they were getting great bargains. What is the economy like in the UK right now? Here gas as hit a 4 yr low after hitting an all time high of $4 a gallon back in July. I see alot of small businesses suffering. We are stable at Fedex due to visionary management. When I started at Fedex 20 yrs ago, our CEO said in 20 yrs there would be 2 players in the shipping business., UPS & Fedex. Turns out he was right. DHL has stopped domestic sales and will be out of all domestic shpg come Jan 10. Since the economy took a nosedive our company has frozen all hiring. No one has lost any hours , a few people have had to change shifts, but that is minimal when you see so many people out of work. I have actually never worked so much in my 20 yrs, for 8 months I was working my 5 days and 3 nights on top of that as overtime. i am very fortunate and I know it. My animals are all doing very well. We have had 2 snows so far this year, and believe me that is early for southeastern PA. Right now it is frigid here, feels more like Jan or Feb than Dec. My Chows are thrilled by this, I have a hard time keeping them inside. My fox is looking beautiful, mch like her Firey Fox counterpart. My does had 5 babies this past summer. It is mating season right now, as a 2 rather large 8 point bucks has been hanging around when my girls are fed their corn daily. Some buck boys show up, but the big ones chase them off. I imagine I will have more deer babies in the late spring.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users