• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE(chowlover2 @ Feb 1 2007, 12:32 AM)
I feel your pain w/the Beanie babies AR. I've been down that road myself. A local police officer who went to Iraq was looking for items to give the kids there from the troops. His Mom sent him Beanie babies and they were a big hit. He was killed in the line of duty, but his Mom and fellow police officers are continuing his legacy by sending Beanie babies to the troops in his memory. I donated mine, and that makes me feel good that I put a smile on a kids face in Iraq. We can't all make a mint on our acquistions!

View Post

Thanks, what a great idea!

#32 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:56 PM

If you're inerested Ar there's a fellow in FL, by the name of Bob williams who sends hundres of care packages each month to our troops. You can email him at sift@aol.com. There's more info about him at the Stars & Stripes website. The Beanie Babies not only make friends, but save lives. Kids who receive them have notified our troops of where insurgents are located, and unexploded land mines. It's a win-in situation!

#33 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

Nothing for me either. I am pretty much done w/collecting the EL solids.

I refuse to check Ebay anymore because the prices that the EL solids are fetching are discouraging.

What I find surprising is that sellers on sites like rubylane get pretty high prices for the EL solids and other collectibles. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? dry.gif

Actually, I am pretty much done collecting anything as nowadays the fluctuation in prices is too vast.

I plan to keep in my collections the pieces that I enjoy and sell off the ones that I can--hopefully, at a price I can live with.

I used to look forward to my Vegas trips as I would go to the EL store and Neiman Marcus and I was actually excited to add a solid to my collection. Not anymore. I still visit those places but I only window shop. I'm not even sure if I will continue to add to my Vegas solids. I haven't been impressed with the Vegas pieces of late and bought the dice because I already have the slot machine, cards and roulette wheel.

The Harrod's solids--the only ones I was ever interested in were the bears and I only have 2 in my collection--the very 1st one and the one with the jester's hat. Those are the only 2 I have because they are the only 2 that I like. laugh.gif If a Harrod's bear comes along that I really like, I'll probably spend the money, if I have it to spare.

The EL cosmetic store sales and the warehouse sales as well as Off Saks, have pretty much discouraged me from buying any GD solids, even if I like them. I will stop by these stores to see what is 33% off and I have purchased a few powder compacts there. However, even 33% is more that what they go for on Ebay. sad.gif

Good luck to the new collectors. I had fun looking for my "gotta have it" solids. And if you get a bargain on a piece you really like, well then that's just icing on the cake! Even though I overpaid or paid full retail on most of my pieces ( huh.gif ) I also found some bargains! smile.gif

So happy hunting!

#34 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

Hello 2cute4u2! Do hope you will not stop collecting completely.

I think I would find it really difficult to sell mine. Only the odd one or two
which do not fit in with my collection.

Am still 'hunting' for the I.P. and more..........................

This year I did not buy any of the Harrods Solids. I have been meaning to
check out whether the card came with this year's bear stating it was limited
to 500. If anyone has the bear, would you please check for me...........

Re Ruby Lane and their pricing, I have wondered about that too. But not
everyone wants to buy on Ebay and may find it less of a headache purchasing
this way, even if they end up paying more........??

I must say that when friends look at some of my collection they are always
enthralled. They cannot believe that there are these beautiful ''trinkets'' out there and it is certainly a talking point.

I am now looking out for the beautiful perfume bottles! That will be another
learning curve and I really do not want to make ''expensive'' mistakes. I
have kept away from the powder compacts mainly due to the space they
take.

So for the new Collectors, this is an intriguing hobby and one which will give
you a great deal of pleasure and exercise whilst searching!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users