• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

Regarding Avon...Love your comment Katita...totally agree with Katita and Jacky's comments.
Before now I never thought about Avon in that way, but you are right. I learn something all the time from you all on this board and Katita's comment did bring a laugh to me too. laugh.gif

Kasi, you go ahead and vent. You bring up some important points as well.

Gigi

#17 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

It's a free world, and as far as I know, people are allowed to buy and sell as they see fit. I do sell some solids very reasonably as I buy collection here and there, keep what I want for myself, sell many very good ones to my dear solidperfume.com friends and on Ebay, and if there are some left, I have no problem selling them very reasonably. Many of the ones I just listed went to new collectors and they were very happy to get them and I was happy to sell them to them. That is what is fun for me, the buying and the selling. On the matter of value, I am thrilled with my collection even knowing that many are selling below what I paid. I still love them all and happy to have them. And if I went to sell them, I know I might take a loss and that's OK..it's all in collecting. And actually, I find the mentioning of someone's name in a posting such as above very disrespectful.

Woody

#18 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

Well Woody at least I didn't allude to you and not call you by name. We have been friends for years and I have bought gazillions of solids from you. But we have also clashed on this point on the phone several times. I don't beat around the bush, I tell it like it is, and you have known that about me forever.

Kasi

#19 Astrid

Astrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

@ Kasi & @ Woody,

Since you were talking about the CHEAP Carousel solid perfume, I have to give my comment:

First of all, I'm the lucky buyer - Woody, THANK YOU SO MUCH for making it affordable for me. I'm just sorry that you offered it on eBay because you now have to pay all the fees ... I'm sure we'll have arrangements in the future to cover that biggrin.gif as always.

Second: It is impertinent to ask $1,300 for a solid perfume that some or more stupid person/s in the past once bought for that price around. At the time being it might be worth about $300 more than retail but not more incl. any sh/tax, IMHO. Let's talk about a price range for it of some ivories in about 5-10 years again.

Third: I'm willing to pay $$ for solids that are worth the money e.g. some of the ivories - in mint condition w/ if possible the box - or any Exclusives because I know of their rareness or their retail price incl. any sh/tax - but not for items you see once in a while on eBay or elsewhere, and on which not every solid collector is stuck.

Fourth: With my comment I neither support EL's pricing policy nor their warehouse sales nor their increasing unimaginativeness to create diserable solid perfumes - I'm just against unjustified prices, especially among collectors - POINT.

Hate me now - I'll stand it tongue.gif

Astrid

Edited by Astrid, 26 January 2007 - 06:27 PM.

#20 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

As collectors, yu have to realize what you pay for a solid now you may never recoup in the future. BUY WHAT YOU LOVE!!It's not as though Woody hasn't been burned by prices as well himself We were talking about the butterfly on Ebay last week that went for roughly $400. He paid $1700 for his although it was MIB, is a box really worth $1300??? And he's not complaining, he loves it, it's the chance you take w/collectibles. My best friend collects German dolls by Annette Himstedt. She has only been collecting about 4 years and has over 60 that range in price from $1200 to over $6000. She has found the same problem with Ebay in that she will never recoup what she spent on them, but luckily loves them all. The Himstedt company has taken a move to keep prices of the new dolls high, something EL would be wise to follow. First of all rather than selling the dolls everywhere, they are now restricted to 15 dealers in the US. They are limiting the number of each addition they are producing in an effort to keep prices high. I blame EL for the dip in solid prices with the warehouse sales. Why can't EL just limit the number of solids they sell? You see the same sellers on Ebay selling the same solid over and over again and making a bundle. EL surely knows how much each store they deal with sells of each solid every year. EL also knows they have a core of solid buyers, all they have to do is do the math and limit what they make each year, My hat is off to Woody and all the other sellers I have bought solids from on this site. I know they aren't making money and take pleasure in fact that they are selling to people who appreciate them.

#21 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:00 PM

Don't hate you at all astrid, and you were alludeing to me with my carosuel of $1300.....well to me, it is a very rare solid, and one I would never be able to buy again, therefore I set the price that I was willing to sell it for....It may never sell at that price, but as it was a gift that is the only amount of money I would consider selling it for. If I had bought it for $400 I would probably sell it cheaper, but considering it was a gift and where it came from, I'd rather keep it than part with it for a penny less. There were 5 carosuels that sold in the 1200-1400 range before I put mine up at $1300, following Woody's lead.

Yep I think woody got 1300 a couple of times, I haven't....but someday someone will want it and be willing to pay my price. Only for that amount of money would I be willing to sell it cause it is extremely sentimental....

Ivories, I bought mine back when they were rare and paid 400-700 for them. I know I overpaid, but at the time that is what the market was. Also back then( we are talking way before Lisa even built this site, which I love btw Lisa) just to find them was a coupe....with a box and mint was almost always unheard of and if it had the box, bridget outbid me..and if it was a plazzo in a box I didn't have a chance...giggle .LOL...Bridget outbid me on LOTS of things. But I got my share after Bridget. Calbeanies, Pamela(in florida) Lacy Sea and Helen out of Dallas, got theirs and a lots of time even Woody outbid me...giggle...But it was fun and we all talked on the phone and we were still trying to find out all of the solids that were produced because at that time there wasn't a good book to even know what you were missing in your collection. We were the pioneers in collecting I think.

There are a lot of solids I still have never owned, dynasty, all of the buttons, all of the camelias, the foo dogs, the princess, the rememberance boxes, and the kissing fish. Plus probably at least a dozen more.

But to make a long story short I probably never will own them. I have just reached the point in my life where I would rather have the money to put up for retirement than have a trinket, so I have been taking a loss on a lot of what I have, made money on a few and broke even on the majority. I have been doing this with all the collectibles I have, glass, jewelry , etc....not just solid perfumes. I have accepted some offers on ebay for a lot less than I paid for them, but that is because I had done the research and knew I would never get what I paid for them the way the market was going. I know that even though I paid woody an even 100 for about 12 cameos I'll never get that money back....but I don't want to sell them for $25 either. So it is always a quandry as to what is "a reasonable offer" for a solid....

Kasi

#22 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

Kasi I understand your price for the carousel, I think hat happens is that someone sells one on Ebay for $1200, and several more come out of the woodwork and start to sell for considerably less. Look at the Imperial Princess. % in the last 6 weeks alone and look how low the last one went, about $850.I really only started collecting solids in earnest about a year ago. I bought them sporatically over the years, but never really got into it til last February. The best buy I think I ever got was buying the Imperial dog when it came out in the 70's for EL's price. Why couldn't it have been a Princess or Panda, and why didn't I save the box? We all live and learn. The first solids I was dying for when I starting collecting were the ivories. I have 2 Chows and when I saw the red Foo dog I had to have it. And I spent $600 for it on Ruby Lane no less. I also spent a bundle on the kissing fish on Ruby Lane, only to have them show up on Ebay a week later for half the price. I'm not bitter, I love them. In the past year I've bought over 125 solids and I don't even want to think about the money. I'm really concentrating these days on the Strongwaters which I think are exquisite, the Harrods, and the older pieces. I think these are the ones that maintain their value. There are alot of other god solid buys out there as well, I love the Cordays, and the St Johns are breathtaking. I think it's so sad St John no longer makes solids I only have one of those and hope to find another someday.

#23 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(chowlover2 @ Jan 27 2007, 12:21 AM)
Kasi I understand your price for the carousel, I think hat happens is that someone sells one on Ebay  for $1200, and several more come out of the woodwork and start to sell for considerably less. Look at the Imperial Princess. % in the last 6 weeks alone and look how low the last one went, about $850.

I'm really concentrating these days on the Strongwaters which I think are exquisite, the Harrods, and the older pieces. I think these are the ones that maintain their value. There are alot of other god solid buys out there as well, I love the Cordays, and the St Johns are breathtaking. I think it's so sad St John no longer makes solids I only have one of those and hope to find another someday.

View Post

I didn't see the princess go for that, and I'm glad i didn't see that as, I would have cried, cause I couldn't afford right now to buy it....sigh...

Now see this is what makes the difference in collectors, I don't like the strongwaters at all, I only have 2 (crown and dragonfly) , but I like the older ones...the corday bird cage, the early estees's without all the bling. But you also notice I have not put up for sale at all my St Johns, My Estee Ice Cube or it's contemporary by ???(geez i hate getting old and having CRAFT disease giggle), my pink heart Victoria secret, or my corday Horse(ivory) ....I did say I was keeping some of my fav's didn't I?...but for the right price, everything in my life is for sale.....Katrina, Rita, and my recent surgery brought to light that I have really nothing saved for retirement and being single, I should do something about it, after all I don't want to be 90 and still working...all my life, I have bought what I wanted when I wanted it and who cared about the price, as I could always make more money. But having reached the ripe ole age of 67 with no retirement is frightening. I did pay off my house this year, so I will never be homeless...LOL...But it took Katrina and Rita destroying my company to wake me up really really well....it made me realize that "things" are not where it is at, but knowing you have enough money in the bank to cover the light bill and hospital bills if necessary is oh so much more important.

My book collection of 1st 1st signed editions and my paintings will be the last thing to go, but all the other stuff catches dust so it's going first.

I would rather sell everything I own than have another hubby to take care of me in my older years. Been there done that on hubbys and don't want to do it again....LOL

Kasi

#24 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

I love the older Estee enamels as well. I'll start saving now, and a couple of years down the road maybe I can buy your St Johns! I'm fortunate that I work for a big company ( Federal Express Courier ) with great benefits. Our medical benefits have gone up pricewise for us over the years, don't know what I would do w/o them though. You having to fund insurance on your own is astronomical! I have over 18 yrs in, am 51 now and plan on leaving when I have my 25 yrs in. It's really a job for the young and mgmt there is a big headache as far as I'm concerned. I'll do something else, hopefully breeding my Chows or working w/the Chow Rescue group in my area, I want to do something I love in my later years!

#25 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(chowlover2 @ Jan 27 2007, 01:24 AM)
Our medical benefits have gone up pricewise for us over the years, don't know what I would do w/o them though. You having to fund insurance on your own is astronomical!

View Post

NO NO I have medicare now, but I still need to come up with the 20% co pay....and that does get pricy when they charge 2500 for a cat scan, and seem to order them frequently...LOL...I am setting my house up in a living trust so that if I accidently wind up with astronomical medical bills no one can touch it, so I willl always have a place to live. And a very nice, very large place....But luckily other than that one female problem 2 years ago, I am tremendously healthy...Thank god.

Luckily doing ebay I love so that is what I'm doing in my later years...giggle...but if I had a choice I would be traveling and reading.

KK

#26 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:08 PM

ph34r.gif Ah, it's only money and things . . . can't take them with you, so may as well spend your life doing and buying what you enjoy and not worry about what others think.

We've all been burned by EL and Ebay several times over. We are all just a bit older and wiser now. I'm glad of the friends I have met on this site and the friendships are worth more than a few $$$ I have spent on solids.

If two people can strike a deal on what something is worth, then good. No use arguing or complaining about it. It's nobody else's business really.

Let's all just be excitedly chatting about the solids themselves, not the money side. cool.gif

Now, who has got what lately?

#27 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

This week I'm expecting the Cowboy boot,Cowboy Hat , Circus lion and Harrods Hatbox to arrive! I can't wait!

#28 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:25 AM

Nothing for me.... sad.gif

As we say, MORE EFFORT... ohmy.gif

I shall be out and about this weekend on the fairs. Who knows, sitting in a box could be the I. Princess.... dry.gif EVER THE OPTIMIST, THATS ME.... biggrin.gif

Love the cowboy boot, CONGRATS...... laugh.gif laugh.gif

My regards to you all.....Margaret... smile.gif

#29 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

Doesn't everyone love to buy low and and sell high?

I have about 100 beanie babies that are worth maybe $2 each and I paid as much as $150 for some of them. So I have learned to buy only what I like. Collecting for profit is a risk, if it works out that is great.And I truly hope it does help us down the line... If not, we can look back and remember the fun of acquiring a rarity and the enjoyment of admiring a beautiful piece. And the good friends made on solidperfume.com!
Ar

#30 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:32 PM

I feel your pain w/the Beanie babies AR. I've been down that road myself. A local police officer who went to Iraq was looking for items to give the kids there from the troops. His Mom sent him Beanie babies and they were a big hit. He was killed in the line of duty, but his Mom and fellow police officers are continuing his legacy by sending Beanie babies to the troops in his memory. I donated mine, and that makes me feel good that I put a smile on a kids face in Iraq. We can't all make a mint on our acquistions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users