• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cottagecosmetics

cottagecosmetics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:10 PM

I'm not sure if I did this correctly, but I could use some help with identification on a non Estee solid perfume. I posted it in the member's gallery.

It's pretty neat and in great condition (smells wonderful also!), but when there is no mark on the inside, where do you start?

Are there some reference books that I can look up in the library for this kind of thing?

My knowledge is extremely limited, so maybe some of you who have a lot of experience with this can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Lisa

#2 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hi Lisa......I have a powder compact in the same style with a very similar pattern on, when I get a bit of spare time I will find it and let you know what make it is.

Margaret

#3 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:19 PM

Your non Estee solid is a real beauty Lisa! I sent an email to Phyllis and Kasi, both members on the site who have vast knowledge of solids, both EL and non EL. Hopefully one of them can point you in the right direction, or better yet know something about your solid!

#4 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:39 PM

It is a Max Factor. smile.gif

Ann

#5 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:18 AM

Roselyn Gerson has written a book called Vintage and Contemporary Purse Accessories in which you can find solid perfumes from other makers than EL (and some EL ones as well) alongside with lipsticks and purse mirrors. It's a great book biggrin.gif

Karin

#6 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:17 PM

MY POWDER COMPACT IS A MAX FACTOR AS WELL, THEY SEEM TO HAVE DONE A LOT OF PATTERNS ON THE SAME THEME....... smile.gif

Margaret

#7 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the plug, Chow. However, I always rely on the expert Ann for answers to my questions. She is like the holiday fudge I make - sweet (is very gracious in letting me bug her) and "Never Fail" (always knows the correct answer).

That solid is in very nice condition, Lisa. Enjoy it!

Phyllis

#8 cottagecosmetics

cottagecosmetics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:51 PM

Thank you all very much smile.gif

It's really wonderful to be here with all you knowledgable people!!

Lisa

#9 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:40 AM

Hello,

I got this response from Irene:

Her compact is Max Factor Hypnotique Creme Perfume, Net Wt .10 oz.

#10 cottagecosmetics

cottagecosmetics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:08 PM

Thanks again!

I wrote all this down, and also ordered the Gerson reference book (I have 2 others, but not that one).

It's very pretty - maybe I'll start collecting MF instead - they are much more affordable! laugh.gif

Lisa

#11 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE(cottagecosmetics @ Nov 24 2006, 06:08 PM)
Thanks again!

I wrote all this down, and also ordered the Gerson reference book (I have 2 others, but not that one).

It's very pretty - maybe I'll start collecting MF instead - they are much more affordable!  laugh.gif

Lisa

View Post

Max Faxtor has made some gorgeous compacts as has Tresor and some of the Joy ones are really gorgeous too. But my favorite NON estees are the ones from St. John , and boy are they are to find. Here is a link to the pic of the only one I have: I think Ann also has several that she can probably share pics of them, for y'all to see.

http://www.pixclix.c...tjohnsolid1.jpg

Kasi

#12 cottagecosmetics

cottagecosmetics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(kasi @ Nov 26 2006, 03:12 AM)
Max Faxtor has made some gorgeous compacts as has Tresor and some of the Joy ones are really gorgeous too.  But my favorite NON estees are the ones from St. John , and boy are they are to find.  Here is a link to the pic of the only one I have:  I think Ann also has several that she can probably share pics of them, for y'all to see.

http://www.pixclix.c...tjohnsolid1.jpg

Kasi

View Post

Ooohh - very pretty!

I'll keep on the lookout on eBay, and see what pretty ones I can find, regardless of brand!

Thanks for the pic!

Lisa

#13 chowlover2

chowlover2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

Kasi is so right about the St John's. I have snagged one on Ebay, and it's a beauty. I think Phyllis has 4 or 5. It's sad the St John's aren't made anymore, they are exquisite, and to my mind higher quality than the EL's. The best thing is to buy what you love regardless of manufacturer. Phyllis, can you share your pics of your St John's?

#14 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE(chowlover2 @ Nov 2http://used.addall.com/8 2006, 11:44 PM)
Kasi is so right about the St John's. I have snagged one on Ebay, and it's a beauty. I think Phyllis has 4 or 5. It's sad the St John's aren't made anymore, they are exquisite, and to my mind higher quality than the EL's. The best thing is to buy what you love regardless of manufacturer. Phyllis, can you share your pics of your St John's?

View Post

Phyllis, please do share your photo's of the st . John's as I have only seen one other one, the round one with the bow on it. I think Ann has a couple also, and I agree the quality is much better than Estee Lauders quality is. Does anyone know the total number of solids that St. Johns made? I don't. Maybe Bridgett will know.

I also love some of the other solids, Issy Miaki(sp?), Joy, Corday( especially their ivory's)
http://pixclix.com/t...ordayhorse1.jpg

the gorgeous bracelets of Gautier, (mine needs to be polished as silver tarnishs so bad in Texas...lol)
http://pixclix.com/t...aulgautier2.jpg
and the borgese bracelet
http://pixclix.com/t...sebracelet1.jpg
the max factor rose cameo necklace
http://pixclix.com/t...factorrose1.jpg

A little bit of history here. The Gautier bracelet was designed as a piece of jewelry for Madonna, for one of her world tours in the 1990's. The tour was called the Blind Ambition tour. He also designed the corsett that she wore on the tour, thus the matching bracelet. It was a limited edition piece of only 2000. and each one of the bracelets is numbered. I love owning a piece that is a duplicate of one that Madonna wore back in the 90's...

And the other things I really like are all the rings that were done in those large stones that are so fun to wear by people like Vandia or is it Vanda ( geez I shouldn't type at 4AM in the morning
, I can't remember how to spell anything....LOL) and Max Factor and Helena Rubenstein.

Well enough ramblings, I have to go back to work and do more ads for ebay.

Kasi

#15 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:18 PM

I have the gold tone round, covered with clear crystals and a cute bow in the middle also in clear crystals St. John compact. I too love it and agree it is the highest quality. Mine is appoximatly 2 14/16 inches in diameter. When you open it, there is a mirror on the top, a great metal gold tone cover which automatically comes open to protect the solid and the solid perfume which is the original St. John fragrance. I believe the fragrance is not wax based, but is in tightly packed powder form. There has not been any spreading from the sides like with age and Estee Lauder solids. Unfortunaly, I can't remember the year when these beauties were made. They were released in the fall for holiday gift giving. I bought mine at a Nordstrom store and saw them at various St. John boutiques around the country. I apologize for my memory loss on when these were made...I know it was in the 1990's and it was only one year they were produced. I do remember there were at least three designs made for sure...Kasi's black one, my round one and a sunflower one. Once again can't remember if there was a fourth one made or not. I do remember when I did go into several St. John boutiques here in the States almost a year later most still had some compacts left over from the previous year. Looking forward to Phyllis's and/or Bridgett's reply.

Gigi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users