• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:14 PM

What are your top favorite new solids for the 2006 holiday season?
Which are your least favorite?

My favorites:
1.GARDEN RABBIT -- ADORABLE...DESTINED TO BE A CLASSIC
2. DELIGHTFUL TEAPOT
3. MAGICAL PITCHER

Least favorite:
SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE -- SO DISAPPOINTING!
Unseen, but most anxious to buy:
DOUBLE DECKER BUS
Ar

Edited by Ar, 09 September 2006 - 01:22 PM.

#2 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

Are there pictures of these other than the Sydney Opera House anywhere? I agree the Opera House is not very appealing. Lainey

#3 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

HI LAINEY smile.gif GO TO THE POST BY BRIGETTE, JUNE 20th ( 2006 SAKS AND NEIMAN SOLIDS AND POWDERS ) AND CLICK ON THE LINKS.

NOTHING ON THE HARRODS AS YET ( SORRY ) HOPE THIS HELPS.

AR..... IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE DOUBLE DECKER BUS WHEN YOU SEE IT, I WILL SEND YOU A TOY ONE.... laugh.gif

My regards to you both..... Margaret

#4 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

Thanks, Margaret! I love the Harrods van. I don't know why I'm partial to vehicles. I treasure an Arla (my name) Foods milk truck that I bought on ebay and I have a UPS truck on my work desk.
Ar

QUOTE(VEGAS LADY @ Sep 9 2006, 10:22 PM)

HI LAINEY  smile.gif  GO TO THE POST BY BRIGETTE, JUNE 20th ( 2006 SAKS AND NEIMAN SOLIDS AND POWDERS ) AND CLICK ON THE LINKS.

NOTHING ON THE HARRODS AS YET ( SORRY ) HOPE THIS HELPS.

AR..... IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE DOUBLE DECKER BUS WHEN YOU SEE IT, I WILL SEND YOU A TOY ONE.... laugh.gif 

My regards to you both..... Margaret

View Post

#5 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:49 AM

HI AR...... smile.gif

MY HUSBAND IS CAR, BUS, TRUCK AND TRAIN MAD, WE MUST HAVE A COLLECTION OF OVER 300... ohmy.gif NEXT YEAR WHEN HE RETIRES WE ARE BUYING A GARDEN SUMMER HOUSE ( posh word for a shed with windows ) TO KEEP THEM ALL IN AND BUILD A TRAIN LAYOUT.

IF YOU HAVE A FANCY FOR ANY OF THE BRITISH TRUCKS JUST LET ME KNOW AND I WILL DO MY BEST FOR YOU.

Margaret

#6 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

Thanks Margaret, I found them and am now debating what I want the most, LOL. I really need a larger display cabinet for my Solids or to get rid of some of my Perfume Bottles. Lainey

#7 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

Although I haven't seen them yet in person- I think the GD solids look darling!!

#8 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:16 PM

I do like the look of the Lone Star State and Broadway, but will I buy them.... dry.gif
The answer must be NO! as I am afraid that they will start to show up in the wearhouse sales next year..... sad.gif

The GD solids are sweet and I do like the Snow Globe, Nutcracker and Spinning top.

Margaret

#9 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:17 AM

smile.gif Nice to 'see' you again, Lisa - how have you been?

I'm with Margaret - already waiting for the sales in a couple of months of the new solids just so I don't have to pay retail. I think they are inevitable and after Christmas, they'll be all over Ebay mores the shame. sad.gif

#10 Topbev

Topbev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:36 AM

Good morning everyone,
I have a question for all of you. It appears to me that most on this site have been collecting for many years so I believe you have the experience to give a seasoned answer.
Have you seen this drop in prices and the mass availability of items in the past? Do you think this is cyclicle (sp?)? Or, do you think this is the sign of the future for the solids?
smile.gif

#11 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:48 AM

Great question, and here's my take: every collectable market is cyclical that I have seen, esp now with Ebay. I have collected other items, pottery, prints, perfumes, and the values go up and down. On Ebay, I think it is the time of year as well..you'll see many items go back up in Oct/Nov for the holidays. But I also think that some solids have just dropped in price based upon the number made and their desireability..and Estee hasn't helped that as of late. My feeling is the "good old solids" will keep their value and go up over time...

Woody

#12 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:18 PM

Yes a very good question.... dry.gif

I can only speak for the British market and lets remember that everything has its fashion and its time for buying and selling.

Over the years I have collected and horded many things one example was 1950's glass both Murano and Whitefriars. Two years ago when the new minimalist look came into fashion it became most desireable and brought top prices at auction...needless to say I sold it and reinvested the money in other things, the prices have now gone way down and unless you have Lalique ( which will always be a good investment ) the fashion for glass is in the decline IMHP

I have also collected the old powder compacts and unlike the solid market these little gems remain on the up and up for the simple reason that a good MIB example is now getting very rare. A few years ago they could be picked up for very little money but now prices can be sky high for the right ones.

The prices of the solids have gone down a lot this year and I do feel that a lot of the more expensive ones should be limited in number, this would keep the prices steady and our investments more protected ( the best example of this theory is the English Emblem ) Estee Lauder is only interested in selling solids and not protecting the prices and I firmly believe that this will never change.....after all they are in business to sell as many as poss and make a profit.

As for the future of solid collecting......The older ones will always keep their price, but what you buy for the joy of collecting this year in ten years time will be an older solid as well.....SO HAVE PATIENCE AND WAIT FOR A FEW YEARS..... laugh.gif

My regards to you all........Margaret

#13 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:50 PM

Agree wholeheartedly with Woody and Margaret!

With regard to falling prices, I think this only applies to the mass produced
items. Once they start ''running'' out of the Warehouse, their value
diminishes. This is a normal feature with any item, be it solids or other
collectables.

Watch the older solids! And the scarcer they are, the more desirable
they become. Not, I might add, only due to the scarcity of the item, but also
due to the way it was made i.e. the design and quality. One thing one
cannot deny is the workmanship of Estee Lauder when it comes down to producing many of their solid perfumes.. The detail and beauty of some of their solids is amazing and it is only due to the fact that as a Collector I have come to appreciate so many aspects of these solids over the years. I do have some
lovely Corday items, but Estee Lauder has cornered the market as far as collecting is concerned (unless someone else can point me in another direction).

Soon prices will begin to climb again. Summer is always the best time to
hunt for that special bargain, but that time is nearly over for this year.

So, make haste while the sun shines! And remember, every dog has its day!

cool.gif

#14 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:30 PM

I agree current prices are down on the newer solids as they hit the warehouse and the outllet stores, but most of the older solids are still holding firm or are just a slightly bit lower. But in another two weeks the price will start to go up again, as it approaches the Christmas season, and many hubbys, friends and etc start to look for that solid that they know is missing from their significan't others collection. So Christmas shopping begins shortly.

By December, most of the solids will be where they should be, at retail and above, ( except for the newer ones that will stay low until they age a few years and new collectors come into the field looking for the ones that are new now but then will be old to them.

A lot of the smarter collectors will start to buy the other lines, like tresor, max factor, corday, St Johns as some of them are truley beautiful and rival estee in their detail and workmanship( which is why we collect these beautiful little treasures anyhow). Yes the newer bling is pretty with all it's gaudy rhinestones, but look at the detail in the gold collectors compact( the lady with the flowing hair) To me that one is absolutely fantastic....and the intricate cut work, of country flowers, jade carver, and good wishes....they will never do those again, as it is too labor intensive....

And the thing that has amazed me over my last 6 years of collecting is that more people seem to turn their noses up at the cameos that estee does....but throughout the ages, cameos in jewelry have been highly sought after and prized by most females to wear in various forms....rings, necklaces and brooches....and estee does some beautiful ones, and I think they are outstanding, but it seems no one shares my belief....how sad.

Kasi
just my 2 cents from an old collector.

#15 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:06 AM

Kasi,
I agree with you. Estee Lauder has produced a lot of lovely cameos. In fact the very first solid I purchased was one of EL's cameos. I am looking forward to adding the new General Distribution cameo to my collection. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users