46 replies to this topic

#16 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:34 AM

Hi Sandra and Karin...... smile.gif

WHAT A GOOD CLEAN MATCH, both teams played well. Sweden defended well in the first half ( England just could not put the ball in the net ) ....... Sweden played a better game than England in the second half.

Sweden are a good solid team and well respected over here, England have not beaten them in 38 years, to my mind a draw was the best outcome.

Wonder what the next round will bring..... dry.gif

Margaret

#17 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:43 AM

Hi Margaret, I think I'm just about ready for you to send over the sticks for my eyes - well I will be after our next match which is at 5.00am tomorrow morning - the papers here are calling it 'The Duel at Dawn' - Australia v Croatia. It's a very important one for us & oddly enough several of the Australian team are Croatian and some of the Croatian team are Aussies. If we make it to the second level I guess I will be watching more matches or perhaps like Sandra at least the replays. Good luck to all countries & their teams.

Karen smile.gif

#18 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:54 PM

laugh.gif Woo Hoo !! We're through to the next round to face Italy !! (oh-oh!!)

What a game - I actually watched the last part of this one live just before I left for work - it was so exciting !! However, I will watch the full replay of it again this afternoon when I get home from work.

So much emotion - I thought Croatia had it won! You have to feel for them too - like Karin said, some Croatians in our team and some Aussie's in theirs - so weird in this day and age as who you choose to represent.

GOOD LUCK to all the other teams left in the comp. It's just too exciting now !! cool.gif

#19 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:12 PM

CONGRATS TO AUSTRALIA......... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Margaret

#20 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:10 AM

Hi Karin, there were a lot of Glaswegians rooting for Sweden too who also think that Larson walks on water. There were many tears when he left Celtic and, apart from Scotland not getting in to the World Cup and there being a 'bit of bigotry' against the English, a lot of Scots are supporting anyone but the English.

So, on behalf of my countrymen, I apologise and wish England well this afternoon.

I have to admit that I'm more focused on the WAGS (wives and girlfriends to the uninisuated) and their 'games'.
Margaret, I agree with your husband but I do like the quote from, if I'm right, Bill Shankley that goes something like "it's not a game of life and death. It's more important than that".

I'm not into football and I really can't wait for it to be over as my Husband and son are glued to the TV and I can get no sense out of either of them. Not that I got much of that before the World Cup either I must admit wink.gif

#21 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

Hi Nancy....... smile.gif

Good to hear from you, hope the new job is going ok, a good worker will always be snapped up. I retired a year ago and I have been offered two jobs since ( both have been turned down ) this time I am sticking to my guns and doing what I want to do.

This football thing between Scotland and England, its so silly, a lot of the supporters do like to keep the old wounds open and after all we are all part of the same Island, but you try telling them that.

Well England got through but only by the skin of their teeth, we don't seem to have got it together and I don't think we will go much further, but keeping fingers crossed.

I will be glad when Wimbledon starts its not as stressful as football..... biggrin.gif going to cheer on your Andrew Murry.

Regards..... Margaret

#22 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:00 PM

Hi Margaret, I see WImbledon is becoming a water sport!!! laugh.gif Just typical. We here in Scotland had a beautiful day today. I hate the way some England supporters have had a hard time up here. Tony Blair said the Tartan Army were tarnished by it but this was nothing to do with the Tartan Army, just mindless thugs. Can you believe a seven year old child was punched because he was wearing an England shirt! Then his father was attacked for trying to protect him. That makes me sick.
Hope the weather is better down south tomorrow for all you tennis fans.

#23 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

sad.gif Boo Hoo, Australia are gone!!

Good luck to the remaining teams, though. We will still follow with interest ! smile.gif

#24 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:39 AM

Hi Sandra.... smile.gif

That penalty in the last min was bad luck, to me it did not seem justified ( lots of shouting at the TV on my part )..... mad.gif

If it had come to a shoot out at the end I'm sure Australia would have won.

Margaret

#25 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

smile.gif Thanks Margaret . . it's good to know that others in the world feel the same. However, Australia had their chances with Italy reduced to 10 players in early in the second half. It was a great game nonetheless, and it's a pity Harry Kewell wasn't on the pitch - maybe he would have got one in.

Not talking specifically about this game, but I think it's also a big shame that a lot of these well paid and so called 'great' players feel that they have to throw themselves on the ground and writhe in pain to get a penalty to win matches . . . it seems to be the way to go in a lot of games. Sure some of them are legitimate, but many are not and teams resort to this to win a game . . . .

At least I can say that none of the Australian team did this - they played fair and when they fell over or got tripped, they got up and got on with it if they weren't hurt. They didn't lie they clutching at their leg waiting for a penalty.

Good on you, Aussie's - you did us proud and I'm sure we'll see you back in the world arena in time to come!! cool.gif

PS. I've never watched a full game of soccer before without being bored to death, but I watched every one of the four Aussie games glued to the TV with interest and thoroughly enjoyed the games. Thank you!!

#26 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:57 PM

sad.gif Well I've finlly got over the upset of our elimination - We came a long way
in a short time WELL DONE SOCCEROOS and thank you for giving the whole country a very exciting ride. Australia has now joined the big boys and given the soccer world something to think about.

I will now join my husband in watching and supporting Germany - my sleepless nights are not over yet.

Good luck to all the teams in the final rounds.

Aussie Girl Karen biggrin.gif

#27 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:14 PM

Karen, your sleepless nights are definitely not over!!!! Did you see the match
(stupid question). And I hope you are watching us tomorrow!

The flags were flying in Germany (was there).
Obviously you know where my support is focused tongue.gif

Have a great week-end.......

Happy Viewing to everyone! smile.gif

#28 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:54 PM

biggrin.gif Hi Jacky, yes we were certainly watching as Germany after time on and the penalty shoot out... won. Watching the match live from here was a 1.00a.m. start so with the extra time & the penalty shoot out then all the phone calls from Germany it was 5.00am before I got to bed this morning.

The England-Portugal match is the same time for us to-morrow morning but as we have an early start for the country I won't stay up for it but wish England good luck and I will just have to watch the replay.

I must say I cannot get quite as excited now as I did for the socceroos matches- it was incredible - the excitement, the tension, the euphoria in Australia for a game most knew nothing about & certainly had never watched before. We ALL had our gold & green flags flying from our cars - dogs & cats were wrapped up in socceroo coats & scarves (bet the're glad it's over) and the first 10 pages of every newspaper every day was about the soccer & the world cup - not to mention the Sports sections! It was just awful it ended for us in the way it did and unfortunately whatever happens in the years ahead nothing will ever be quite like it here again.

Again GOOD LUCK to everyone for the finals ahead.

Karen huh.gif

#29 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

So sorry for Andre Too bad it ended this way. sad.gif I'm sure all the endorsements he's going to do will ease the pain of defeat. tongue.gif I'm such a cynic! biggrin.gif

Katita laugh.gif

#30 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:08 PM

Well thats us out, can't say I'm sorry don't think my blood pressure will stand any more games like that..... ohmy.gif The television is waving its aerial in surrender I've shouted at it so much..... laugh.gif

We never were any good at shoot outs and with Rooney sent off and Beckham injured it was a forgone conclusion.

BUT...... They still could not beat us when we were down to 10 men..... tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Regards Margaret

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users