• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:57 PM

smile.gif Come on - we all have teams in it!!

We in Australia are gripped with it, even though the games are shown in the wee hours of the morning . . . !

Some very tired but very happy Aussies are gripped by World Cup fever, and I think that the rest of the world would be too!!

How exciting to be in Germany right now!! It'd be about the same or better than the Olympics because the games are all over the country, not just in one city.

So - add a post and show us your world cup fever !! cool.gif

#2 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

It's hard for us Yankees to get so wound up about soccer since we didn't grow up with it. It's just now getting started good here in the states.

That said though we had high hopes for the US this year but it looks like we aren't going to do so good. sad.gif

We'll just have to root for Australia. biggrin.gif

#3 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

I tried to resist but everyone here has caught the football fever, or madness, depends on how you see it. It is impossible not to follow the world cup, one is surrounded by fans dressed up in blue and yellow (the colours of the Swedish flag). So far Sweden have met Trinidad and Tobago and scored 0-0, which is very disappointing. I thought that would cool everyone off a bit, but no: "we can still make it to the final" laugh.gif Tonight Sweden will meet Paraguay and unless we win this match we are out, and if that happens people will sure cry their hearts out so please send the Swedish fans a thought. I will let you know what happens wink.gif

#4 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE NO MATTER WHAT COUNTRY YOU ARE IN.

MY DEAR HUSBAND KEEPS SAYING, "ITS ONLY A GAME", SOMEBODY IS GOING TO HANG HIM FROM A GOAL POST BEFORE VERY LONG.... laugh.gif OUR STREET IS FESTOONED WITH THE ENGLISH FLAG.

ENGLAND HAVE JUST WON 2-0 AGAINST TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO...... biggrin.gif

My Regards to you all....... Margaret

Edited by VEGAS LADY, 15 June 2006 - 02:48 PM.

#5 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:52 PM

HI KARIN,

CONGRATS, SWEDEN WON...... laugh.gif

YOUR PLAYING US ON TUESDAY..... ohmy.gif GOOD LUCK... biggrin.gif

Margaret

#6 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:43 PM

smile.gif Should be a good game, Karin and Margaret !! Looking forward to watching it. And don't the English sing?!? When England play, the whole game is like a loud singalong . . . . !!

Aussie's are still riding high on their one win so far . . . . . Brazil is next and we will be nail biting . . . . ! cool.gif

#7 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:21 AM

Yeh Sandra, its so funny.... laugh.gif Half these macho men that go to football matches would not be seen dead singing, yet they go to a football match and sing their hearts out..... mind you, they have been told to keep the songs clean for this world cup..... you want to hear some of them..... ohmy.gif

Good luck against Brazil, it will be a hard match, so GET SINGING.... laugh.gif

Endland against Sweden, I think we will lose.... sad.gif

Regards......Margaret

#8 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:15 PM

Margaret, I am equally sure that we will loose... Maybe it will be 0-0 then tongue.gif
I am really having trouble with this world cup thing. I thought that if we won against Paraguay we were going further in the cup but now it seems that it depends on how Paraguay and Trinidad & Tobago plays blink.gif This is too complicated for me, shouldn't be enough just to win blink.gif I don't think I can ever become a real football fan. No matter how I try I don't even have figured out this "off side" thing yet.

Karin

#9 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

Hi Karin.... smile.gif

The finer points of football escape me as well...... ohmy.gif I only know it goes on points, 3 for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 if you lose and the team with the highest points in the group goes into the next round.......THINK I HAVE THAT RIGHT.

Just watched the Italy v USA match...... What a dirty game both teams played, IT HAD ME GLUED TO MY TELLY..... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Best match I have seen in ages.

Margaret

Bring on Wimbledon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

laugh.gif Yeah - a few send-offs in that match!!

Well - we lost to Brazil, but still have a chance to get into the next round with a win or draw against Croatia (thanks to Japan holding them to a draw).

I have the off-side down pat, I just get a little tired of watching the ball go up and down the pitch without anyone scoring . . . . . !! sad.gif I like watching the highlights and seeing all the goals in minutes, not hours.

Looking forward to Wimbledon as well - Hewitt just won Queens. cool.gif

#11 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:18 AM

rolleyes.gif

Hi you three - Sandra, Karin & Margaret. We are watching here too - 2.00am - 4.00am for the Brazil-Australia match this morning. I would have prefered to be asleep but would ever have forgiven myself if we had won & I missed it. As Sandra said Australia is in the grip of World Cup Fever - a new ball game for us - well internationally anyway.

Karin I think it is great that you are watching & supporting your country particularly when you are not that keen on the game and Margaret I don't mind missing a little sleep to watch Beckham playing - he's certainly worth watching.

Sandra our next big match is at 4.30 am - help, but I think we could win so I guess I will up watching - will you stay up for it?

Karen (very tired smile.gif

#12 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hi Sandra..... smile.gif

It was a good win at Queens for Hewitt and well deserved. Tim Henman does not have what it takes to be a Wimbledon champion, he may make it to the quarter finals but after that his game is just not good enough. Good to see Agassi still playing, wish he had beaten Henman.

Did you all see South Korea score the equaliser against France, the look on the fans faces said it all...... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Karen....... laugh.gif I will send you over two little sticks to prop your eyes open with..... ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Margaret

#13 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Aussie Girl @ Jun 19 2006, 05:18 AM)
rolleyes.gif

Sandra our next big match is at 4.30 am - help, but I think we could win so I guess I will up watching - will you stay up for it?

Karen (very tired  smile.gif

View Post

Hi Karin - I must admit I'm cheating - SBS is showing replays of the 'game of the days' (it's usually the australia and england games) at the very reasonable time of 5pm - 6:30pm each evening. That's when I watch the games as I don't have the stamina to stay up night after night and then work all day the next day!

I also watch the goals of the days so that I don't have to wait all game to see them. There have been some fantastic goals this year . . . pity they aren't all from Australia!

So, I will be watching the game at 5pm. cool.gif

#14 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:59 PM

smile.gif REF: England vs Sweden

Karin and Margaret - you were right - a draw!! But 2 - 2. I must admit, I thought England was going to win it near the end. (I actually watched it live as it was on early (5am - 7am) and I was getting up to go to work anyway, so I caught it late in the 2nd half when the score was at 1 - 1.

Good to see two goals in quick succession and a nail biter ending. cool.gif

Good luck to both teams in the next round.

#15 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:04 AM

biggrin.gif Yes, we didn't loose against England. I just have to share with you the joy of the Swedish football fans in Germany. I saw on TV how they were celebrating in Kln/Cologne and singing a song about our goal maker that went: "Henrik Larson walks on water" biggrin.gif Cute, isn't it?

Karin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users