#16 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

Welcome Lisa,

We can't think of a better reason to collect than yours. wub.gif

Please enjoy this site and all of the wonderful members. We're so glad you joined. smile.gif

#17 fandango

fandango

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:35 PM

Don and Margaret,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!!

Lisa

QUOTE(Don and Margaret @ Apr 4 2006, 08:42 PM)
[color=green]Welcome Lisa,

We can't think of a better reason to collect than yours. wub.gif

Please enjoy this site and all of the wonderful members. We're so glad you joined.  smile.gif

View Post

#18 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:04 AM

HELLO LISA.... smile.gif

A VERY WARM WELCOME TO YOU FROM ENGLAND.

Margaret

#19 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:35 AM

Always glad to welcome new members biggrin.gif

Enjoy your collection, no matter the size smile.gif

Katita

#20 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(peanutbutter @ Apr 1 2006, 10:05 PM)
Pretty simple.....

Because they are pretty!

View Post

I do it to (simply) drive my hubby nuts! laugh.gif

Actually, I collect the solids that have meaning for me, or that are unusual. I do agree that the older solids that are MIB are worth their value. The newer stuff I only buy what I REALLY like. However, I tend to wait and see how the item does on the market and will check with the CCS or on ebay to see if it shows up at much less.

I recently returned a compact that I had bought a Nordstrom's...I mean a few months ago because it is being sold on ebay (MIB) for less than 1/2 of the original purchase price. The bidding started at only $20 and was up to only $40 when I printed out the auction page and took it along with the compact back to Nordstrom's. Prior to taking this action, I emailed the seller and asked how he/she could sell the compact at such a price when it retailed for $95 (then there's tax). Of course, there was no reply from the seller (I didn't expect to get one).

HOWEVER...I was told by SA at Macy's that EL SAs get up to $375 of free EL merchanidise a year...I don't know if it's true, but that would explain how certain sellers can sell MIB EL items for so much less. ohmy.gif

JMHO...but about the only safe new solid purchase is an EL exclusive as those have yet to show up at the CCS and ebay prices are still close to retail on many pieces.

#21 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:22 PM

Thank you Margaret and Don for causing us to think about our reasons for collecting.

So many good replies with personal thoughts expressed. Has all been said; the beauty of the solids, the enjoyment of arranging them and looking at them, the thrill of the hunt and the exhileration of each new addition.

I shall never regret collecting them. No matter if I overpaid or found a bargain or if the values change. They are just a wonderfu part of my life.

The ELs are only a part of my pleasure. Many other makes of solids are very beautiful and some are really classic. It makes my search more interesting.

Phyllis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users