10 replies to this topic

#1 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:10 AM

Hi everyone from a very rainy France. sad.gif

This saturday we are going to the annual dinner dance and are looking forward to it tremendously, six or eight hours of eating tongue.gif , drinking rolleyes.gif and dancing to a live group. smile.gif

We LOVE live music and were talking last night of all the concerts we have been to and so I thought it might make a good topic. biggrin.gif

Our tastes in music are endless, from classical to pop (but NOT Rap)!!! ph34r.gif

Here are some of the ones we really enjoyed

BARRY WHITE now doesn't he just hit the spot!!!!

BARRY MANILOW - not a choice we would have gone for but wouldn't have missed it for the world - what a performer laugh.gif

THE FOUR TOPS - couldn't stop dancing and singing along biggrin.gif

TOM JONES - what can I say!!! ohmy.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif

We were also talking about acts we would have loved to see and of course Elvis and The Beatles were at the top of the list.

Is there anyone out there who actually saw either of those?

Looking forward to hearing from you all

Caroline

#2 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:37 AM

HELLO EVERYONE..... laugh.gif

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A BIG FAN OF NEIL DIAMOND. FROM THE FAMOUS SWEET CAROLINE TO THE LESSER KNOWN ADAPTATION TO MUSIC OF JONATHAN LIVINGSTONE SEAGULL THE MAN CAN WEAVE MAGIC WITH HIS MUSIC.

IN THE LATE 70's HE CAME TO ENGLAND TO DO A LIVE OUTDOOR CONCERT AT WOBURN ABBEY ( USING THE OLD HOUSE AS HIS BACKDROP AND STAGE )

THE WEEK BEFORE THE CONCERT WAS DUE TO TAKE PLACE OUR BRITISH SUMMER WEATHER TOOK A TURN FOR THE WORST. IT RAINED EVERY DAY AND MOST OF THE NIGHT. ON THE DAY OF THE CONCERT WE ALL MADE THE LONG JOURNEY TO WOBURN WITH HEAVY HEARTS.....WOULD HE SING IN THE RAIN OR NOT. THE NEARER WE GOT TO WOBURN THE BETTER THE WEATHER GOT UNTILL AT FOUR IN THE AFTERNOON THE SUN WAS BLAZING DOWN.

WE HAD ALL PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THE BEST TICKETS NEAR TO THE STAGE, BUT IT SOON BECAME APPARENT THAT BECAUSE OF THE VOLUME OF FANS AT THE CONCERT WE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO REACH OUR PLACES......WE THEN HAD A TERRIFIC PIECE OF LUCK...

PASSING A GATE WITH A SECURITY GARD IN ATTENDANCE HE NOTICED OUR COOL BOX WITH ICED DRINKS IN AND ASKED US FOR ONE. THE POOR MAN DID LOOK HOT AND NEVER ONE TO LET THE GRASS GROW UNDER MY FEET I OFFERED HIM THREE ICE COLD BEERS IF HE LET US THROUGH THE GATE INTO THE STAGE AREA, AND WE ENDED UP WITH SEATS THREE ROWS FROM THE STAGE.

THE SUN WENT DOWN AND THE STARS CAME UP AND NEIL DIAMOND WAITED UNTILL IT WAS PITCH BLACK BEFORE HE MADE HIS APPEARANCE ON STAGE, THE LIGHTS WENT UP AND 50,000 PEOPLE WERE SILENT. HE SANG FOR THREE HOURS AND INCLUDED THE FULL JONATHAN LIVINGSTON SEAGULL.

IT WAS A MAGIC NIGHT AND ONE I WILL NEVER FORGET.........BUT I WILL ALWAYS BE CONVINCED THAT NEIL DIAMOND BROUGHT THE MAGIC WITH HIM.

Margaret.......

#3 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:00 AM

Another good topic!
Hmmmm...this is really gonna take me back.........about 30+ years.
Let's see one big concert was when the Super Dome in New Orleans opened around the 4th of July. Alot of southern bands. Emmy Lou Harris, Allman Bros. Band,Outlaws, Lynard Skynard and lots more.
Lots of concerts in L.A. at the Forum, Starlight Bowl, Hollywood Bowl, Rose Bowl, some place in Santa Barbara and Irvine Meadows. Usually we saw Eagles, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, Fleetwood Mac,Tom Petty,Bob Dylan,Huey Lewis and also the southern rock bands who came to L.A.
Now, I've done it I've exposed my miss-spent youth. ohmy.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif tongue.gif
There are more I just can't remember all the way back to the 70's and early 80's. tongue.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif blink.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif cool.gif

Oh, I almost forgot about seeing Rod Stewart at Irvine Meadows. He put on a great show. It was in the mid 80's cool.gif

Edited by KK, 10 March 2006 - 11:03 AM.

#4 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

We also went to lots of concerts over the years, John Denver, Fleetwwod Mac, The Eagles, Journey, Ac Dc, The most recent one was The Rolling Stones at Anaheim Stadium a few months ago. We are trying to see Queen at the pond in a few weeks. Lainey

Edited by favoritegram, 10 March 2006 - 08:44 PM.

#5 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:40 AM

My first ever concert was a birthday treat when I was 14. smile.gif
My mum took me and my best friend to see a double bill of MUNGO JERRY - for the youngsters on the site they had one enormous hit in the early 70s IN THE SUMMERTIME, and GARY GLITTER mad.gif - whose bus broke down so he never arrived.

One of the most exciting nights was when I saw BILL HALEY AND THE COMETS - no, I'm not THAT old but they were getting on a bit!!!! laugh.gif
They really were great and we ended up dancing on the tables to ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK ohmy.gif biggrin.gif blink.gif - and me and my friend even got backstage to meet them in person!!! cool.gif wink.gif

Ohhhhhh don't you just love Memory Lane smile.gif ohmy.gif tongue.gif

#6 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:15 AM

I've been to so many concerts and folk festivals and bluegrass festivals - too many to count! biggrin.gif My most fav concerts were The Who (before Keith Moon died) at The Garden - they played for 1 week and I went to all 5 concerts! What a BLAST!!! laugh.gif I saw Jethro Tull, back in the 70's, at a small theater called The Beacon. And one of my most fav memories was Bette Midler at Radio City - I was in the first row Orchestra and she was fabulous!! laugh.gif Oh yeah - and YES at The Garden for their 10th anniversary and also more recently - they're still they best! laugh.gif

Back in the 70's and early 80's I saw The Grateful Dead about a hundred times - all shows were great. Also The Eagles at Central Park - What a show!!

ya see, too many to count. I've left out so many other shows but.....I could go on and on.

Much more recently I've seen Sarah Partridge (a jazz singer) - she is great and BB King at his club in NYC - that was too much!

Ahhh - memories! with music!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#7 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

We have also been to tons of concerts, including The Moody Blues, Kenny Loggins, all of the Southern rock bands and many more. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Tell you how old Don is though. At his high school dance when he was a junior the band was Ike and Tina Turner. blink.gif And when he was a senior the band at the dance was ZZ Top. ohmy.gif It was so long ago both of these famous bands were just starting to get local recognition and were playing small high school dances. laugh.gif

Now that's old, huh. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Edited by Don and Margaret, 11 March 2006 - 07:06 PM.

#8 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

I like it! biggrin.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

#9 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

Way back in my younger years I lived in a tiny town called Mart Texas and I went to the coliseum in Waco Texas to hear Elvis....this was before he became really really big, I saw him again in person several years later in Houston ( still have the program)Then my last encounter with elvis was when I was friends with Uri Geller the psyhic, and I saw him at the hotel after his show, took him to the airport and got to board Elvis 's jet that Uri was traveling in....boy you talk about a thrill actually sitting down and talking to Elvis...I was in heaven for days.LOL.

I saw the Beatlles a couple of times when they toured in the states

ZZTOP lives in Houston, and Dusty dates the barmaid at the " Burlap Barrell" (my local neighborhood bar) so I've tipped a few with him before and have seen the band perform many times because they are local.

Ditto Kenny rodgers, Clint Black and Lisa Hartman( her mother Johnnie Hartman, produced my TV show) ,Ray Charles, they are local so I've socialized with them before they made it big.

Of course during my younger years( can you say about 50 years ago...giggle)Y'all have to remember I am 66 now....I was a disc jockey and also had a local TV talk show on channel 26, so I probably met every celebrity that came to town....and let me tell you, they are all people just like you and I , but they run a higher profile than we do, and a lot of them really don't like being in the public eye all the time and yearn to just go to a bar and hang out like we do and not be fawned upon....The nicest person I ever met was Sammie Davis Jr, and the rudest was Tony Bennett.

People I have never met but wanted to meet....Elton John, Mac Davis, Barry Manilow,that good looking Harrison Ford and Keiffer Sutherland....LOL....who knows maybe one of these days on one of my trips to Vegas....giggle.

Kasi

[COLOR=purple]
[SIZE=7]

#10 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:55 PM

The strangest concert experience I've had was about 12-15 years ago at Saratoga Peforming Arts Center. I went to see Gordon Lightfoot. Right after the intermission when he came back on, he was mumbling and said "I told my old lady to take a powder..." Then he said he couldn't sing anymore and left the stage. Everyone received refunds. He probably had a fight with his wife or girlfriend and started drinking. Anyway, I saw him again last summer and it was great.

Best concert I've ever been to - JAMES TAYLOR!!!!!!

Ar

#11 cka

cka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:11 PM

In addition to lots of the acts already mentioned, two others I really enjoyed were the Beach Boys and Cher. Her costumes were out of this world.

cka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users