25 replies to this topic

#16 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE(Carolyn @ Jan 19 2006, 12:51 PM)
Nalbandian is the go I think - cant see Roddick getting there but the Aus Open can be an unpredictable event.

View Post

I'm still sticking with Nalbandian! Going to be 40 again in Melbourne on Australia Day (26th January) and while we are at it, as the mum of a Sri Lankan born child - go the Lankans in the cricket

Edited by Carolyn, 24 January 2006 - 02:55 AM.

#17 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

What about the guy from Cyprus? I hope he gets to the final - he is just a joy to watch as he enjoys it so much!

These five setters are just great to watch - it's just nail biting to see who will win! Also, in the Women's matches - they have had some tough contests also, with either one capable of winning. Just look how Henin-Hardenne came back and knocked Davenport out last night! smile.gif

#18 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Jan 25 2006, 07:40 AM)
What about the guy from Cyprus?  I hope he gets to the final - he is just a joy to watch as he enjoys it so much!

View Post

Yes, he is great to watch and I should imagine very annoying to play against because he just kind of gets in the way! Not sure if the crowds (or should I say umpires) could handle a final with him in it though!

Women - I'm thinking Clijsters unless she is carrying her injuries still. Martine is going great but I think if her last match against Sam had gone to 3 sets she might not be match fit. Don't really like the others too much! tongue.gif

#19 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

Happy Australia day to all our friends down under. wub.gif

user posted image

Edited by Don and Margaret, 25 January 2006 - 10:41 PM.

#20 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:20 AM

smile.gif Yee-ha!! Thanks Don and Margaret - love that flag!! cool.gif

#21 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:52 AM

Hi Sandra...... smile.gif

Do you all get the day off work, if you do, have a good one...... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Margaret

#22 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:09 PM

smile.gif Hi Margaret - yes, it's a public holiday over here. Nice to relax at home and watch the tennis!!

So now we have an unknown into the men's final against Federer. Who would have guessed? He is fun to watch.

And the women's should be a good match up too. Pity Kim had to retired injured.

All the doubles matches are going to be good too!! They are all good teams - should be fun!! It's hard to make a punt for the eventual champions! I'm not even going to try, just enjoy watching. cool.gif

#23 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:46 PM

smile.gif Well what a fitting way to end the Open!!

Hingis won the Mixed Doubles - what a comeback!! She's right back in there at the top level.

Federer prevailed - and was overcome by emotion. Marcus was right in there with a chance the first two sets then I think he just didn't have anymore energy and Roger just ran him around.

Poor old Justine was ill before she started and just ended up handing it to Mauresmo who also deserved it, but I think she would have liked to win it the hard way and earn the applause and cheers for winning it.

And the Bryan brothers were a formidble doubles team, as were the Chinese girls who played unbelieveable tennis from the back of the court in the women's doubles to win in three sets over the number one seeds who had match points they couldn't convert!! AND they played without power shots - just incredible !! (Even though they did beat an Aussie)! cool.gif

By the way, that Jim Courier is a funny commentator!!

What a great way to start 2006!! Can't wait for the next SLAM!!

#24 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

We really enjoyed this years' Australian Open also. Roger is a true champion and his display of real emotion at the awards ceremony was refreshing. Nice that it means so much to him.

We saw one of the funniest t-shirts on a couple of the spectators also. As a play on Marcos Baghdadis' name, the shirts said "Who's your Bagh-daddy". laugh.gif laugh.gif

Can't wait till next year. smile.gif

#25 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

OOOOOOOOOPS. I MISSED YOUR AUSTRALIA DAY!!!!!!!
WELL WHAT CAN I SAY......

I ALSO MISSED SOME WONDERFUL TENNIS! ROLLLLLLLLLL ON WIMBLEDON!

rolleyes.gif

#26 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

JACKY...... YES, I CAN'T WAIT FOR SOME GOOD TENNIS, SANDRA CAN COME OVER AND COMMENTATE....... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Margaret

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users