• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:54 PM

smile.gif Good to see Martina Hingis back - she played really well the first round. Accuracy and shot ability still there as well as fitness and mobility. She is looking good.

Serena had a tough first round - she lacked fitness and was lucky to win it. In the third set she seemed to get a second wind and had mind over matter to will herself over the line.

In the men's it's anyone's game - the standard and quality of tennis is very high - it's great to watch !! So many of the top 50 men can win on their day! Great shot making and comebacks over 5 sets. Thrilling already and it's only the first round !

Federer of course is cruising.

Roddick played some great tennis last week at the Colonial event at Kooyong, as did Tommy Haas.

Anyone else watching? cool.gif

#2 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the heads up. My husband will be glued to the set. He loves tennis.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

I am trying to watch but still very busy....... GO ANDY!!

#4 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

Hi there
I dont think Lleyton will go far this year - I think he has discovered a life other than tennis! His parents will be very cross - they put all their time into him and maybe he has already seen his peak. Not my favourite person at all though - and he comes from my area! I saw he and his former fiancee (Kym Clysters) at my gym a couple of years ago, and they were beeing given the tour of the gym by an instructor there, who later became his coach - Roger Rasheed. Interesting how life turns out!

Nalbandian is the go I think - cant see Roddick getting there but the Aus Open can be an unpredictable event. It is VERY HOT in Adelaide atm which means that Melbourne will get it in the next day or so - around 104 degrees for those Fahrenheit people! Which will make centre court around, hm, 70 celcius but not sure what this is in Fahrenheit! Very very hot though! Maybe they might have to cancel for the day - Occ health and all that!

#5 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:08 PM

Hewitt and Pierce gone. ohmy.gif

Edited by Don and Margaret, 19 January 2006 - 12:09 PM.

#6 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

Yes - Chela has always been a thorn in Hewitt's side . . . . isn't it weird how some players always meet in the early rounds and others never do until the final rounds?

Like Phillippousis (though I know he has had his day) always gets someone the calibre of Grosjean and can never past the opening rounds . . . . and so does Carlos Moya and a few other good players. But there are a few top players who always seem to get lucky draws and get qualifiers or low ranked players to have to beat and therefor can make it to the fourth round without hardly raising a sweat!

There have been some good 5 set matches - really tough ones in the first two rounds and then there have been also a lot of easybeats. It's such a hard one to guess who is going to get through!! Lleyton was always underplayed to win this open. However, we didn't think he would be booted out so early!

Good to see Hingis still in !! smile.gif

#7 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(Carolyn @ Jan 19 2006, 12:51 PM)

I dont think Lleyton will go far this year - I think he has discovered a life other than tennis! 

View Post

Well, that was prophetic, wasn't it. Didnt mean to put the mockers on him! He just didnt seem to have it on the night and now he is blaming the court speed! I think he kept looking sideways at Bec too! Something was distracting him. Oh well, next time maybe.

Sandra, you have more faith in Phillipousis than I do. He has size, and awesome talent on his side yet just cant get his act right. Such a waste.

Would love to see Hingis do well, and I was hoping Dokic might have done better now that she has escaped her father.

#8 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:15 AM

I think Dokic threw her match in the end when things didn't go her way. Acted like a spoilt brat! Oh well, she will learn!

Some good tennis on this weekend, hey? smile.gif

EXTREMELY HOT OVER HERE !! Looks like the most fit will win!!

#9 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Jan 21 2006, 10:15 AM)
I think Dokic threw her match in the end when things didn't go her way.  Acted like a spoilt brat!  Oh well, she will learn!

Some good tennis on this weekend, hey?  smile.gif 

EXTREMELY HOT OVER HERE !!  Looks like the most fit will win!!

View Post

Getting colder over here! No tennis to watch on our normal channels.....

Speaking of Channels, have you been reading about the Whale that has
come to visit. I haven't heard the latest news as yet.....

Enjoy your week-end...and watch the sunscreen Sandra! cool.gif

#10 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

HI SANDRA..... smile.gif

DID YOU SAY HOT!!!!!!!!!!!, SEND US SOME WILL YOU.... laugh.gif WE HAVE NO TENNIS AND NO HOT SUNSHINE...... sad.gif OH TO LIVE IN ENGLAND IN THE WINTER.

JACKY..... NOT SEEN THE NEWS ON THE WHALE THAT HAS SWAM UP THE THAMES, JUST CAN'T LOOK INCASE IT'S DIED..... sad.gif sad.gif

Margaret

#11 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

Yeah - saw the poor whale on the news . . . . sad hey? He is a bit lost. I hope they get him back to the ocean deep before he dies.

Well, over here it was more good tennis on the weekend - some fantastic matches played - good to see so many up and comers !!!

It was a shock good bye to Roddick on the weekend !!

So tonight is the two Swiss guns Federer and Hingis playing. I think they will both win, even though Hingis is playing an Aussie. Hingis is all class and I think she will breeze through. The Aussie has done well but has no real weapons unless her serve comes together for her.

Can't wait!!

#12 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

I am soooooo envious! Have checked all the programmes. No tennis.

Back to Big Brother!

cool.gif

#13 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:28 AM

smile.gif Hingis through, but tested in the second set.

Federer playing now. . . . he is winning. smile.gif

#14 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

Phew!! What an epic match!! Haas took Federer to five sets!

Federer played flawlessly in the first two sets then Tommy made him look ordinary the next two. It was an exciting game as momentum swung from side to side and as each player just kept making excellent shots!

This open just keeps getting better and better!! biggrin.gif

#15 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

We agree Sandra. biggrin.gif This is getting good. blink.gif

Samantha Stosur gave a great account of herself in the second set with Hingis and will just keep getting better. You Aussies can be proud of her. smile.gif

Hass made Federer pull out all the stops (and boy did Roger ever). What a match. tongue.gif

Andy just can't seem to make the hump but we still have hopes for him. sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users