#16 cyndi

cyndi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:02 PM

[I][FONT=Courier]

Hello,

I am a very new collector and also new to this site and I must say, "I am in love!" I stumbled across these beauties on my recent trip to Las Vegas. My husband and I go to Vegas about every 3 months and stay at Caesars Palace. Strolling through the fabulous Forum Shops, I happened to glance into the window of Estee Lauder and fell in love! These pieces are absolutely gorgeous and I am so excited about beginning my collection. I bought a few while there and have also bought a few on ebay. I have ordered the book to study the pieces as well.

My question I have is, were all the pieces produced with a gold box and a white box? The pieces I have bought, all have the white boxes, but I see many pieces that I would like to buy, but they don't have the white boxes. Did they at one point stop making the white boxes or do people just not keep them? I would like to keep my collection as mint as possible and this means finding the white boxes. A tough task, I am sure. None-the-less, I don't intend on selling my collection but it would be wonderful to pass it down to my children one day, complete, with all boxes.

Any info for a new collector would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Cyndi

#17 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:20 AM

HI Cyndi - welcome!!

I believe that all solids came and still come with the outer white box.

Sometimes they are sold without it, unfortunately. Many times with earlier pieces, the shops threw them out!! Sometimes it was the buyer who threw them out, not thinking they were important.

However, it's best to get them at least in one of the boxes. I think these days it's a bonus to have both boxes if the solids are pre-2000.

GOOD LUCK!!! I'm sure you are as addicted as the rest of us!! wink.gif

#18 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:15 AM

Hello Cyndi.... smile.gif

A warm welcome from a cold England.

As Sandra said sometimes its hard to get both boxes with the older solids, but you can but try. Good luck with your collection.

Margaret

#19 cyndi

cyndi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

Thank you very much for your help! I have tons of other questions but before I bombard you, I will wait for the book that I ordered and see if most of my questions are answered in there.

One more quick question....we live in Atlanta, GA. I am sure there are a couple of stores, ie, Saks or NM, that sell some of these pieces. Is this correct? Where else other than the Estee Lauder Stores can I find these pieces? Of course, I watch ebay daily. I have also looked at some antique stores, just to see if I might stumble across some of the older pieces, but I had no luck. That was like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Sorry for the silly questions!

Cyndi

#20 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(cyndi @ Jan 21 2006, 12:01 PM)
Thank you very much for your help!  I have tons of other questions but before I bombard you, I will wait for the book that I ordered and see if most of my questions are answered in there.

One more quick question....we live in Atlanta, GA.  I am sure there are a couple of stores, ie, Saks or NM, that sell some of these pieces.  Is this correct?  Where else other than the Estee Lauder Stores can I find these pieces?  Of course, I watch ebay daily.  I have also looked at some antique stores, just to see if I might stumble across some of the older pieces, but I had no luck.  That was like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Sorry for the silly questions!

Cyndi

View Post

Welcome Cyndi, biggrin.gif

You are looking in all the right places and don't give up on antique shops or flea markets as I myself have found several powder and solid compacts and most recently an Italian lipstick compact.
Store Locations (Yellow Tab) at the top of this page is also helpful but mainly just keep asking questions, that is how we all learn.

#21 Nansu

Nansu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

And I learn, too, when you ask the questions smile.gif

Nancy

#22 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:12 AM

Welcome Cindy

Ebay is a great source as is this site,
Even in the chat area are posted solids for sale.

In the winter is the best time to buy solids on ebay. Why do I say that? it's because people sometimes on ebay don't pay attention to where they are shipping and there is nothing worse to get a solid in the hot summer where all of the solid has melted all over the beautiful container. I have tried to educate my fellow ebay sellers that in the summer it is best to put saran wrap over the solid and then close the lid, so that if the solid melts from the heat at least it will be contained and not get all over the container and the box.

I know I am kicking myself right now, because I just shipped a solid to Australia and they are hot right now and I forgot to put the saran wrao over the solid, so I am holding my breath until the buyer gets the solid and tells me everything is ok.

Living in Houston Texas I have learned the following trick, if you ever get a solid that is melted.
DO NOT WASH IT....I know that is the very first reaction to try to get all the perfume off the crystals that adorn the solid.....but DO NOT WASH IT....take a piece of saran wrap, lay it on the counter, get out your hair dryer, set it on low heat and blow the solid. the perfume will roll off to the saran wrap, then you can gently pick up the saran wrap and put it back in the container where it belongs. If you are picky like I am, it will take about an hour to do it perfectly, but it worth the time and effort.

Kasi
ebay ID Kasi

#23 cyndi

cyndi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 12:52 PM

That is a great tip! I wouldn't have thought about the perfume melting during shipping in the summer months. I suppose I will have a fatter wallet during the summer than the winter! HA!

Thank you so much!

Cyndi

#24 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

Excuse my ignorance Kasi, but what is a saran wrap???

Fortunately I have never received a solid where the perfume has
melted......mind you, we don't have too many heatwaves in the
U.K.

With the cold from Russia apparantly coming our way for the
rest of the week, I think I will be opening chunks of ice......
take your pick! rolleyes.gif

#25 Topbev

Topbev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(Jacqueline @ Jan 22 2006, 04:55 PM)
Excuse my ignorance Kasi, but what is a saran wrap???

Fortunately I have never received a solid where the perfume has
melted......mind you, we don't have too many heatwaves in the
U.K.

With the cold from Russia apparantly coming our way for the
rest of the week, I think I will be opening chunks of ice......
take your pick!  rolleyes.gif

View Post

Saran Wrap is a brand name for the clear plastic wrap you use to store items such as leftover foods, cover dishes, etc. As Kasi pointed out, there are a multitude of uses for plastic wrap.

#26 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:10 AM

LOL...I guess in the UK you wouldn't have a melting problem, but we Texas girls and I know even Pamela(esteelady) has the same problem in the summer. She's in Florida.

Saran wrap is a thin plastic wrap used basically for covering food you put in the fridge. It is so thin that you can put a one by one inch square over the solid, and close the cover easily .....sure does prevent a mess during the summer when you are shipping to the warm states.

You girls in the cold states when you get a package should let that package warm up to room temperature before you open it in your house, to prevent the cracking of the crystals. When I have to ship glass up North and it is cold up there, I always put a reminder or email a reminder to the buyer to let the package warm up to room temp before opening. This gives the glass time to adjust to the difference in temperature, and prevents cracking of the glass( which will happen when a piece of glass moves from one extreme temp to another. Just little tricks I have picked up in selling at ebay for the last 7 years.

Kasi

#27 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for replying.... I cannot recall seeing that brand name
here but thanks for letting me know that is the plastic wrap. I
use the bubble wrap when posting items but I do not always wrap
the individual solid perfume. Seems I have had some lucky
escapes....

unsure.gif

#28 kasi

kasi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:22 AM

I always bubble wrap the box also, and I only use the plastic wrap on the solid in the summer, I understand that temp inside the postal trucks gets way up in the 100's inside....So it is better to be safe than sorry....

IN all my years of buying off ebay I have only received 2 solids where the perfume melted, and they were both a mess, but I fixed them with the hair dryer....yeah...But one box was a disaster.....sigh

#29 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:38 AM

HI JACKY..... smile.gif

HI KASI...... smile.gif

I THINK WHAT YOU CALL SARAN WRAP WE CALL CLING FILM IN ENGLAND.... laugh.gif

THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS ON POSTAGE KASI.... wink.gif

Margaret

#30 Sandra