#31 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:22 AM

Well Sandra sounds as though Margaret has a good advice,
now if you could just do that wouldn't that send a message. tongue.gif
When we lived at our ranch home the neighbors tree was a very large white pine with long needles that blowed over into our driveway and into the garage if the door was open and not to mention the gutters full.
We asked them about cutting it down or back but they never did.
Finally after we had moved 5 years almost the dang tree broke off and the son
cut it off half way up from the bottom.
No needles for the folks who live in our
old ranch but such a ugly sight now. ohmy.gif
Sometimes you just can't win! huh.gif

#32 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:34 PM

Quote ( No needles for the folks who live in our old ranch, but such a ugly sight now )

Hi Pam...... smile.gif

This can be true when people just hack at trees sad.gif Trees do need management, and cutting back at the right time ) Its such a shame to see a tree that has been butchered.

Over here in England we have had a lot of problems with a tree called Lelandi (sp)
These trees can grow higher than a house if left unmanaged, and some silly people were using them as a fence for their garden, they take all the good and water out of the ground and neighbours were left without sunlight. Matters came to a head because one neighbour stabbed another in an argument over cutting them down. In the end our government passed a law that they are now only left to grow upto a certain hight. If they go over this hight and your neighbour complains and you don't cut them back they will step in and send you the bill...... ohmy.gif

Regards......Margaret..... smile.gif

#33 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:17 PM

Sounds like a good law to have in residential areas !!

Well, we ARE allowed to cut branches off that overhang your property. However, you have to ask your neighbour before doing so and if the tree is more than 3 metres tall, you have to ask the council. I have cut a few branches off other trees within reach, but you have to employ an arborist (tree doctor) for most of the others.

The 'gum' trees that Carolyn and I refer to are rarely allowed to be cut and they grow to a height of 20 metres or more. The cost of cutting the top branches or ones over hanging from 10 metres + up is ridiculous and you have to enter your neighbours property to do it, so getting one of these buggers under control is impossible. Once you do achieve cutting one branch off, another grows and you have to go through the same process again.

I would LOVE a height restriction on all residential trees! We have lost our view to the city and harbour in less than a year because of enormous trees !! mad.gif

Edited by Sandra, 16 January 2006 - 04:17 PM.

#34 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

Aaaah what a different scenario we have here living in the heart of London!

We begged the Council not to cut the trees on our street, especially one
opposite our apartment block which has flourished and flourished over the
years. We were all watching and threatened to barricade the road
if they attempted to cut it down. Aaaaaaaaaah Yes! We won....and
the tree is still there. In summer it is beautiful with branches full of green leaves.

There is a song, which I am not sure of the title.....Woodman Won't You
Spare That Tree.......An old song, as old as the tree..... Was it Fats Domino?

wink.gif

Edited by Jacqueline, 16 January 2006 - 06:21 PM.

#35 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:23 PM

HI SANDRA..... smile.gif

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE TREE SITUATION, I FOUND IT VERY INTERESTING.

WHY DO THEY NOT ALLOW YOU TO CUT THE GUM TREES BACK VERY OFTEN, ARE THEY PROTECTED BY LAW AS SOME OF OUR OLDER TREES ARE?

HOPE YOU DON'T MIND ME ASKING.

Margaret

#36 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:44 PM

I remember a friend living in Cheltenham having to have the tree in
her garden felled as the roots were damaging the house! No option
there......

Well, that's all I have to say about trees, and like Prince Charles, I shall
have a chat with them tomorrow (weather permitting)... blink.gif

#37 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

YES JACKY, I HAD TO STOP TALKING TO MY CHERRY TREE. DO YOU KNOW, AS THE TREE GOT BIGGER SO DID MY EARS........OOOOOOPS IS THAT TREASON ohmy.gif
PERHAPS I WILL GET LOCKED IN THE TOWER OF LONDON.

Margaret...... laugh.gif laugh.gif

#38 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(VEGAS LADY @ Jan 17 2006, 08:53 AM)

WHY DO THEY NOT ALLOW YOU TO CUT THE GUM TREES BACK VERY OFTEN, ARE THEY PROTECTED BY LAW AS SOME OF OUR OLDER TREES ARE?

Margaret

View Post

Hi Margaret
The 'gum' trees are Australian eucalyptus and are native, and hence once they reach a certain height and trunk width they are protected by council law. Mostly this is OK but these trees are known for just 'dropping a branch' even when there is no disease.

There is a current law suit going on in Aus because 1 man was concerned that his protected tree was in danger of dropping a limb and that someone was going to get hurt. He applied to the local council (who are usually disgusting little bureaucrats) who refused to allow him to remove the tree. Well, the man was correct, the tree did drop a limb, unfortunately on top of the man and he was killed! His family are rightfully suing the council! The Council are trying to absolve themselves from blame! Which is why most Australians hate their local councils!

#39 Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(Jacqueline @ Jan 17 2006, 09:14 AM)
I remember a friend living in Cheltenham having to have the tree in
her garden felled  as the roots were damaging the house!      No option
there......

View Post

Hi Jacqueline

In Australia it doesnt matter if the tree is damaging your house if the tree is protected!

This is because the Council says there is no way to ascertain which roots are doing the damage as the roots can be several metres long! We are in a situation where we have a native brush cherry in our garden (Lillipilli) which is HUGE. Planted by former owners. There is a 'new' 10 year old duplex built next door. We asked our council if we could chop the tree back or down - they said no way - the developers of the duplex should have ensured that their development was safe from the tree roots!!! It wasnt the trees fault and because it is on the street frontage we cant do anything!

#40 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:50 AM

Carolyn, the story about the man who complained and was subsequently killed by
the tree brought me out in goose bumps!
I hope the family ends up with millions of $$$$$$$$ Can
you imagine ! There is a moral here. Make sure when you
complain officially to keep it in writing..........

This really has been a learning process and am so pleased that
Caroline in France introduced the topic....

Meanwhile Margaret's ears growing through talking to the cherry
trees leaves room for thought. I don't want bigger ears but I do
want some other things........any other trees I can talk to with this in
mind? wink.gif

#41 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hi Sandra and Carolyn...... smile.gif smile.gif

Many thanks for the tree info in Aus, very interesting. I found it amazing that the Council did nothing about the tree that was dangerous, I hope that the mans family win their case.

Margaret.........

#42 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hi all. Yep - strange and ugly things happen over here in residential areas to do with trees. They make everybody argue. It's OK to have one or two lovely trees in your backyard, but do you have to be surrounded by 6 giant ones that are out of control and you're not allowed to do anything about it? I don't think so. sad.gif

There are plenty of other trees to choose from that would be more appropriate in your backyard I think. Councils just like to exert power on people to justify their existance . . . . . well, I guess there are a many other jobs like that, and also people in jobs who like to do that just for the heck of it. mad.gif

Uncalled for stress people like to place on others annoys me too.

#43 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:08 PM

Hi All .....

I had this happen to me today!

While standing in line at the check out stand I moved my arm back to get my purse and hit the lady behind me with my elbow right in the ribs ----- BEAUSE SHE WAS RIGHT ON MY REAR...... Wish people would leave a little room -

While I was putting my check book away there she was again swear she was soooo close she could tell you the contents of my purse!!!

Mary

#44 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:25 AM

Hi Mary.... smile.gif

Yes why do people do that, crowd your space.

DO WATCH OUT PEOPLE WHO DO THAT SORT OF THING COULD BE PICKPOCKETS OR LOOKING FOR YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBERS....TAKE CARE AND BE AWARE OF THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU.

Margaret

#45 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:50 PM

Margaret,

I never even thought about a pickpocket, thank you for brining it to my attention.

Mary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users