• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:30 PM

Do you think that anyone will lust after EL's newer solids six or seven years from now, like we do with carousel or magic dragon? Are there any recent solids that will be as desired as the carousel? I haven't found one yet. What do you think?

Catherine

#2 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:20 PM

Catherine, None come to mind for me because not too many stand out
in my mind. ohmy.gif Of course everyones preference is different but
basically none of the new solids seems to stand out like the classic ones from recent years like 2003 and beyond.
I would much rather spend my small amount for the older classics with more bling.
Now this is just my personal opinion for what it is worth! wink.gif

#3 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:55 AM

I TOTALLY AGREE, EVEN THOUGH I AM NOT A "TRUE" COLLECTOR.

IF A SOLID DOESN'T HAVE THAT IMMEDIATE "WOW" THEN IT WILL REMAIN AS JUST ANOTHER TO ADD TO A COLLECTION OVER TIME. sad.gif

IF ANYONE AT EL GOT THEIR HEADS SCREWED ON THEY WOULD REALISE THAT WE NEED GOOD INTERESTING NEW SOLIDS EACH YEAR, BUT WE ALSO NEED THOSE REALLY SPECIAL ONES WHICH CAUSE A STAMPEDE AT THE STORES. ohmy.gif

OF COURSE HAVING THEM NUMBERED AND SIGNED WOULD JUST BE THE ICING ON THE CAKE - OH WELL DREAM ON wink.gif
[/FONT]

#4 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:03 AM

Hi All, biggrin.gif

I totally agree with everything that has been said, and the older solids

were by far the best, and had more detail, plus the fact that now it does not seem

as special anymore, as a lot have been de-valued on e-bay.

We are more disadvantaged over here in England as now we only have Harrods to

buy from, a few years ago we had several stores to choose from all with different

solids.

I only wish those days were back, as all my family knew what to buy me

for Christmas and birthday,.............aghh well nothing stays the same......... sad.gif

Harrods solids this year in my opinion are very uninteresting though I am sure

that many collectors will buy them............NOT ME!!!

Elly.

#5 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:29 AM

I was thinking that maybe the early Jay Strongwater solids would be special ones in the future...NOT! There are just too many around...and more and more showing up on Ebay.....empty, not empty, MIB - you name it.

I think the Vegas exclusives will be sought after...they are at least limited in some ways and have some character.

Woody

#6 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:18 PM

I agree with what's already said.

I thought about this topic for awhile and came up with an unconventional idea....Leiber solids. Tomatoes will be thrown my direction shortly. laugh.gif

Yes! I know, I know they're not very popular. Yes, retail price was high. BUT, since sales were so low, I'm guessing they didn't make a 2nd-3rd-4th batch to keep up with demand.

I predict Leiber probably won't design more solids (could be wrong), so that means only one year worth of solids. Her solids are unique to anything made before or since.

People love designers and names. Later on more people will collect just because Leiber designed them. Think cross collectable. She makes purses and compacts and people love those. Solids are so much cheaper than her purses.

Collectors who don't know they're collectors yet will want them. You know how it is. Lots of solids were made long before most of us started collecting. Don't we want most of the ones we missed?

Personally, I only have 2 Leibers. Would like to buy more below retail next year. I can't really buy any solids right now. sad.gif

Edited by greyhound, 07 November 2005 - 07:21 PM.

#7 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:17 PM

Greyhound
I agree with you. The Lieber solids were high priced but well made. I think that they have a good chance of being highly desirable in the future.

#8 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:55 AM

OK, Stop throwing the tomatoes at greyhound and start throwing them at me if you like....I prefer the Leibers to the Strongwaters....

#9 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:17 AM

Hi Sara, No-one is throwing tomatoes at anyone! wink.gif Have been reading all
the posts and must agree with everyone.

The Lieber solids are very classy and beautifully made. Also the Strongwaters.
I have no preference as it is the subject matter that counts. I would purchase
either, if the design appeals to me.

Elly I wholeheartedly agree with you re the monopoly of solids here in the U.K.
I have spoken to a few people who feel it is too much hassle now so they are
not bothering to purchase. Why they changed the status quo beats me.
The Estee Lauder personnel in some of the Stores do not like the situation
either..... Pity this year's solids did not match up to last years..... As for the Sentry, am not surprised he is not selling well! WELL! wink.gif

Woody, which E.L ones are exclusives from L.V. ? Don't think there will be many exclusives from now on, but it would be nice if there were!

ph34r.gif

#10 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:15 AM

I agree with the LV exclusives and hope you're right about the JL.
It's hard for me to come up with the next GREAT one because I love most of them.

Edited by KK, 14 November 2005 - 01:16 AM.

#11 Kay

Kay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:13 PM

I'm a collector of both the perfume solids and the powder compacts. It seems to me the powder compacts keep getting better. Since more people collect the perfumes, maybe the powder compacts will be more desired in the future because of their rarity.

#12 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:59 PM

Hi Kay, welcome to the site.
You are right about the powder compacts they are SPLENDID!

Edited by KK, 27 November 2005 - 04:01 PM.

#13 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:08 PM

HI KAY AND WELCOME....... smile.gif

I LOVE THE POWDER COMPACTS, ESPECIALLY THE LAS VEGAS ONES, SOMETIMES I LIKE THEM BETTER THAN THE SOLIDS.

Margaret.....

#14 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:53 AM

Some of the EL powder compacts are just stunning! wub.gif More bling than the recent solids anyway. And I love the fact that they come with extra crystals. I wish EL would package a few extra crystals with their solid perfumes. sad.gif I've got about a dozen powder compacts, and they display beautifully with my solid perfumes. smile.gif

On another note, I just bought the Tom Ford limited minaudiere produced for Estee Lauder. Although pricey ($550), it has sold like hotcakes! They are very hard to find. I'm certain it will go up in value! biggrin.gif

Catherine

#15 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:36 AM

Hi Catherine,
Is the minuadiere (what does this mean?) in the photo with the other
Tom Ford "goodies"?

Let's hope the CCS doesn't get a hold of these ohmy.gif unsure.gif
I would love to see a photo. smile.gif