• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kitnowell

kitnowell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:37 PM

Hi. I"m fairly new to collecting (about 3 yrs of standard holiday issues and Jay Strongwater), but have loved and kept track of EL perfume compacts since my mother gave me a few when I was rather young (a bunny and elephant from the 70's i've yet to identify and sadly, no longer own.) but after reading some of your posts, i feel terribly ignorant.
my main philosophy to collecting is to buy only what i love. (so, far, i don't really collect for value, but I am conscious of it. ) I'm an enamel and crystal junkie, though, so love a lot. so far i only buy new, with both boxes, tags, etc. i do use the perfume because something in me hates the idea of it ageing and curling up around the edges. Since i buy what i love (and i really do love the little treasures i do buy), i don't really plan to sell and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my money buying the new with all the packaging. i could buy more if i didn't insist on all the trimmings. yet i like knowing i have all the trimmings. does that make any sense?
i'm confused because i could buy more if i weren't so picky. and yet, since i'm buying, i want to be picky. a conundrum. do many of you sort of dance a little dance of compromise....insisting that what you love is MIB, but accepting "less than" on others that aren't your favorites?. or do some of you do just the opposite -- buy what you love when you're fortunate to find it, regardless of boxes, tags, etc?

i've only dealt with saks in the past (just added the flacon and boudoir brush to my collection), but have been "playing the field "lately (neiman, bergdorf). i love both lanterns and the dragon and parasol are screaming at me as well. (i'm also especially fond of the bejewelled bottle, too, but have no idea where to get it as i've only seen this pic on this site. ) my poor husband gets that, "what have you done now?????........." look every time he spies me at the computer..........

any way, great site, lisa. a wealth of information that i've been using as a resources much longer than i've been a member!
thanks,

kit

#2 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:21 AM

Hello Kit .....great to see you here! No doubt you are in the USA but would love to know which part.

In reply to your post, personally if I find what I am looking for I will purchase without the box and later, having found the boxed item I will then sell the first
one.........

Am sure you will receive more detailed answers from everyone else........

wink.gif

#3 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:44 AM

Hi there!

All I can say to your post is ....

Buy what you like
Buy it how you like it (mint or not)
USE it however you want to - it is yours after all...

and if you're not worried about the value - ignore anyone who tells you differently! biggrin.gif

To me, collecting is all about enjoyment, and everyone is a little different. Some people have no real interest in the compacts themselves, and only buy what they think will appreciate in value. To them I say, stop wasting your money...try the stock market or bonds if you want something safer.

For those who collect what they like, they just get lucky if it increases in value.

I buy MIB, filled but not MIB, and yes I even buy empties...I just like to look at the darn things, and frankly the only Estee perfume I've ever liked is Cinnabar...so I don't care if they're filled or not! rolleyes.gif I do buy MIB when I can and if I think it's good value, but the fact is I hope I never have to sell them, so this is probably a waste of money for me!

I do like having those boxes though...just in case

Happy collecting!

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:29 PM

Hey Kit,
Welcome to the site!

For me I buy what I like- I love having a solid MIB but also buy empties if I don't have the solid at all. I am always looking for a bargin so I am more waiting for the newer solids to show up on ebay. I also wait for the extra savings from the stores like Saks 20% off friends and families days.

#5 katita

katita

Katita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:33 PM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=green]Hi Kit, Katita here - I buy what I like, I prefer MIB but if I don't have the solid and want it, I buy it. As far as value, I don't care, I buy to keep and display. I love my beauties! They make me happy.

Best advice, buy what makes you happy - MIB or not.

biggrin.gif Welcome to the site

#6 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:26 PM

Kit, Welcome also to this wonderful site! smile.gif
Buying is in the eyes of the beholder, sad.gif
if you like it and it fits your pocketbook
or credit card purchase it. huh.gif
Life is too short to worry if it is the right decision or not.
Just be happy and buy what you like! biggrin.gif

#7 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:20 PM

Hi, smile.gif

I agree with the others...buy what you like. Sometimes I bought solids that I didn't like so much because of the low price. huh.gif

Everyone has different ways of collecting. Normally, I try to buy MIB. If not, 9 times out of 10 I end up trying to replace my empties (or boxless solids) for MIB. This gets time consuming and expensive. I'm picky and try to acquire and keep whatever I own "mint" as long as possible (clothes, shoes, books, furniture, etc you name it).

#8 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:32 PM

cool.gif Welcome Kit !!

I reckon it all depends on what you're prepared to pay for what you like !!

I guess the boxes and condition etc. aren't really necessary unless you're planning to resell.

I like keeping things in their original packaging but that's just a little quirk of mine that I wouldn't impose on others.

Take your time and look around and compare. Make your decision on with your heart and available knowledge. We all have to live with the choices we take, so make sure that you get what you really want for the price you want.

GOOD LUCK and see you around on the site!! smile.gif

#9 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:06 AM

Hi Kit,welcome to the site smile.gif

I always go for MIB when I can but this is not always possible with the older solids.
The secret is only to buy what you like and enjoy them.

If they go up in value then you are in luck, if not you can still enjoy looking at them.

Regards......Margaret

#10 kitnowell

kitnowell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. It seems I'm in very similar company here -- buying what i love and letting the rest follow. sometimes i feel goofy that these little things make me so happy, but i think they sort of remind me of the bright and shiny that life has to offer. a little bit of whimsy is never a bad thing.

lisa, thanks for the reminder --duh, had forgotten all about the friends and family savings at saks.

i am, btw, in raleigh, nc. I've lived in the area since 96, but just moved into town from cary. i'm still lost in a pile of boxes and disorganization but this site as been a fun respite from everything else i have to do!

#11 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:57 PM

Hi Kit,
Welcome aboard! biggrin.gif
In a perfect world I would want my solids MIB, but I'm happy to have an empty one that I love. Several of my favs have no boxes and a little perfume.
I love the powder compacts, too.
Hope to see more posts from you. If you have a camera I would enjoy seeing your collection. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users