22 replies to this topic

#16 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:32 AM

Ok Sandra

How does a fellow Sydneysider become part of this Secret Society? Is there a painful initiation (other than emptying my bank account that is)

See folks, it really is secret - I must say retail in Sydney is less than friendly to the consumer...
ph34r.gif

#17 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:46 PM

Hmmmm . . . . how to explain this . . . . . I haven't ever attended one as I'm not in any 'secret society', and since noone I know purchases solids over here anymore, it's been a a couple of years since anyone I know attended one. But in the 'olden days' (before Ebay and internet), David Jones in Sydney used to send out brochures with a card saying what date/s the 'pre-viewing' was and to book a time. When you arrived, they would take you to a room where you were the only one and walk you around each solid and talk about it a bit. They offered you drinks and nibblies and you sort of felt obliged to buy because it was one on one.

They stressed that they were limited (because they were) so to avoid missing out, you had to sort of buy it then and there because you weren't sure how many they had and how many other people had appointments . . . . needless to say, the ruse worked well for many years and many were sold out before having to be released 'publicly'.

As I said - this is all heresay, as I haven't ever been to one, and it was quite a few years ago that this happened. Maybe another collector who has been might know more about it. This was only the Sydney store and I don't know how it worked in Melbourne.

Now if you buy solids here, they get your details and send you brochures (and invitations) . . . most likely how it works over there.

#18 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:33 PM

Yes, yes, yes, but do you have to eat vegemite????

Catherine

#19 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:26 PM

O.K. In Melbourne we are sent the Estee Lauder Christmas brochure of solids & compacts coming into the David Jones stores Australia wide together with an invitation to make an appointment at a V.I.P preview which is held over 4 days. This invitation is sent to anyone who is interested in buying solids or compacts or has expressed interest in being on the mailing list. I have been invited to these V.I.P previews for the past 6 years since I have been collecting & the idea of making an appointment is so one can view the solids without the crush of the general public. They are held in a private room with champagne & canapes but there is always a number of people there, in fact I usually take a girlfriend or two & no-one has minded. I think on only one occassion I was there by myself and that was because no-one wanted to come at that particlar time. I have to also say I used to buy alot and at one stage could have ordered whatever I wanted before any one got to see them. The last couple of years I have bought very little from D.J's here as I now have lots of good contacts overseas but this year I think I will order a few as the exchange rate of $A to US is so much better and some of the solids do not seem to be that much more expensive. With the Australian security so much stricter a number of my parcels coming in from the U.S. have been opened and damaged and to me paying a bit extra to buy them here is really worth it.

AND Catherine NO you don't have to eat vegemite!!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Printerslady @ Oct 17 2005, 11:33 PM)
Yes, yes, yes, but do you have to eat vegemite????

Catherine

View Post

Sheesh Catherine, vegemite is only really spread on toast for brekkie! huh.gif

And on sandwiches for lunch if your really desperate for a fix !

It's only a spread in a jar, not the main cuisine !

You have to eat other strange concoctions at these events . . . . . like emu eggs and wallaby soup. VERY tasty !! I would highly recommend!! laugh.gif

(Note: I am joking on this last point . . . . just seeing if Catherine might actually believe it) cool.gif

#21 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:49 AM

don't forget the witchety grubs Sandra....

#22 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:56 PM

huh.gif Oh yeah - good point Sara!!

But not on a Sydney plate . . . maybe in the NT !! Ask Annette - she used to live there !! biggrin.gif

Edited by Sandra, 18 October 2005 - 04:57 PM.

#23 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Oct 17 2005, 11:11 PM)
You have to eat other strange concoctions at these events . . . . . like emu eggs and wallaby soup.  VERY tasty !!  I would highly recommend!!  laugh.gif

(Note: I am joking on this last point . . . . just seeing if Catherine might actually believe it)  cool.gif

View Post

I'm not biting!! (no pun intended) I have actually tried vegemite, but wouldn't do it again! wink.gif

Catherine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users