#46 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Ar @ Sep 7 2005, 10:43 AM)
--snip--

Although our government may have failed in its responsibilities, there are millions of people volunteering and helping out of their own pockets. 

--snip--

Ar

View Post

There is a lot of finger pointing going on, but in the wrong direction. Look at what is going on in Mississippi and Alabama. Those operations are going much more smoothly, thanks in large part to better preparedness and cooperation of State, Local, and Federal officials.

Everyone wants to know, "Where were the troops?" The Posse Comitatus Act limits the use of US military forces for civilian purposes. There are other statutes that also restrict federal intervention in State matters, even in emergencies. The sovereignty of the individual states is protected under our constitution. Therefore, the governors MUST ask the federal government for help before the federal government can get involved. It is the Governors who mobilize the National Guard in their states, not the Federal Government, UNLESS they are federalized at they Governor's request. And it is the Governors who must make requests for specific types of disaster assistance.

Governor Blanco of Louisiana delayed mobilizing the National Guard, the forces of which were inadequate to handle the needs left by Katrina in New Orleans alone. President Bush couldn't send in more troops without violating Posse Comitatus. The Governor bears the blame for dragging her feet, when additional troops were waiting for the call to go in and help. And the Mayor Nagin bears the blame for not following his own emergency plans, which call for a 72-hour evacuation order prior to a category 3 hurricane. His mandatory evacuation order was issued only 24 hours before the hurricane hit! After the woefully inadequate evacuation for Hurricane Ivan just a year ago, Mayor Nagin acknowledged that they needed a better plan; but he didn't heed his own advice, did he?!

The simple fact is that, by law, State and Local Emergency Officials are the first responders to disasters in their regions. They are responsible for emergency planning and preparedness. In the event of a disaster, the Federal government provides coordination and assistance, by request of the governor.

Now, you want to know why food and water was kept out of the shelters in New Orleans? Read this Red Cross Hurricane Katrina FAQ. Interesting, huh? This is the fault of State and Local emergency people, not your federal government.

And, if you think that we should just ignore Posse Comitatus, well think of places like China and Cuba; and be glad you live in a place where renegade politicians don't have the authority to put tanks and soldiers on YOUR street at will.

Personally, I believe that the response of our federal government to a disaster of this magnitude has been pretty impressive, despite the ineptness of Louisiana's politicians!

Catherine

#47 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

Way to do your research , Catherine. Pretty squarely puts the blame where it belongs. Good job. smile.gif

#48 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:53 PM

I agree with Don and Margaret, Thank you Catherine for your insight on the Katrina Disaster Plan. I believe we all will be alittle more wiser now. ohmy.gif

#49 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:04 AM

Thank you Pam and Margaret and Don. I just think certain things need to be pointed out. The media and those that are opposed to the current administration are quick to lay blame on the Federal government, FEMA, and President Bush. Why don't they just come right out and blame them for the hurricane itself????

I saw this happen so often when I worked in disaster assistance. Whenever a large scale disaster hit, like a hurricane or an earthquake, too many people expected the disaster response to work faster than humanly possible. People have to be realistic. People, machinery, supplies, and other assistance can move fast, but nobody is a miracle worker. Those trailers that they are showing on the news now, that FEMA has for temporary housing....the news makes it look like nothing is being done with them. You have to stop and think when you see reports like this. Those trailers can't drive themselves! They all have to be hauled. And they are being hauled. But how many trucks are available, and do you use them for hauling food and water, or trailers? And where do you put them when much of the area is still flooded and/or covered in debris? See, the media will distort things and make it look like the disaster response is slow and ineffective, when in actuality, things are moving much more rapidly than is being reported.

Now they are going to start complaining about "red tape." I can tell you what that "red tape" is. It is nothing more than finding out who the disaster victims are (names, address, social security numbers), what they lost, their insurance (if any), their employment (if any), and their current needs because of the hurricane. Is that TOO much to ask? The "red tape" helps FEMA direct the disaster victims to the various agencies and private organizations that can help them. The US taxpayers will foot a large bill for this recovery, and as with all large taxpayer-funded expenditures, there has to be accountability that the funds are being used for the purposes intended. There will be some fraud, like where people line up for debit cards claiming to be hurricane victims, when they weren't. But this "red tape" will eventually catch them. And the information collected from disaster victims can be later audited to ensure proper use of funds. (This is not like a scary IRS audit! ohmy.gif ) But most important, the paperwork is necessary to get assistance to the people that need it.

I think it's important, especially for our international friends, that the attacks and blame game going on right now not go unanswered. My friends who still work in disaster assistance cannot stand up and say one word in their own defense to the media. They work 7 days a week, 12-14 hours a day, and will until this relief effort is well under control. They are experienced, dedicated and compassionate people determined to help those who have lost so much, even if it keeps them from their own families for months on end. But you'll never see that in the news.

Catherine

#50 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:52 AM

Catherine:
I meant government in general, not specifically the federal government. You quoted one sentence out of my post, which was basically meant to send the message that people are responding to help others. I have a carload of goods that I'm donating today. I've also donated money. Have you done anything to help, besides criticize?
Ar

QUOTE(thomcat57 @ Sep 8 2005, 05:17 PM)
There is a lot of finger pointing going on, but in the wrong direction. Look at what is going on in Mississippi and Alabama. Those operations are going much more smoothly, thanks in large part to better preparedness and cooperation of State, Local, and Federal officials.

Everyone wants to know, "Where were the troops?" The Posse Comitatus Act limits the use of US military forces for civilian purposes. There are other statutes that also restrict federal intervention in State matters, even in emergencies. The sovereignty of the individual states is protected under our constitution. Therefore, the governors MUST ask the federal government for help before the federal government can get involved. It is the Governors who mobilize the National Guard in their states, not the Federal Government, UNLESS they are federalized at they Governor's request. And it is the Governors who must make requests for specific types of disaster assistance.

Governor Blanco of Louisiana delayed mobilizing the National Guard, the forces of which were inadequate to handle the needs left by Katrina in New Orleans alone. President Bush couldn't send in more troops without violating Posse Comitatus. The Governor bears the blame for dragging her feet, when additional troops were waiting for the call to go in and help. And the Mayor Nagin bears the blame for not following his own emergency plans, which call for a 72-hour evacuation order prior to a category 3 hurricane. His mandatory evacuation order was issued only 24 hours before the hurricane hit! After the woefully inadequate evacuation for Hurricane Ivan just a year ago, Mayor Nagin acknowledged that they needed a better plan; but he didn't heed his own advice, did he?!

The simple fact is that, by law, State and Local Emergency Officials are the first responders to disasters in their regions. They are responsible for emergency planning and preparedness. In the event of a disaster, the Federal government provides coordination and assistance, by request of the governor.

Now, you want to know why food and water was kept out of the shelters in New Orleans? Read this Red Cross Hurricane Katrina FAQ. Interesting, huh? This is the fault of State and Local emergency people, not your federal government.

And, if you think that we should just ignore Posse Comitatus, well think of places like China and Cuba; and be glad you live in a place where renegade politicians don't have the authority to put tanks and soldiers on YOUR street at will.

Personally, I believe that the response of our federal government to a disaster of this magnitude has been pretty impressive, despite the ineptness of Louisiana's politicians!

Catherine

View Post

Edited by Ar, 09 September 2005 - 10:54 AM.

#51 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(Ar @ Sep 9 2005, 10:52 AM)
Catherine:
I meant government in general, not specifically the federal government.  You quoted one sentence out of my post, which was basically meant to send the message that people are responding to help others. I have a carload of goods that I'm donating today. I've also donated money. Have you done anything to help, besides criticize?
Ar

View Post

Ar,

I'm not the one criticizing. I'm the one RESPONDING to all the criticisms! As far as what I have been doing to help, yes, I have been doing my part. However, my husband and I choose to keep our efforts and donations private. I see no need to advertise what we are doing or have already done to help hurricane victims.

I do think that the private response to this disaster has been wonderful, as it has always been when our country has been faced with a great calamity. I only hope people will be careful and check out the charities before they give. Already, there are scams popping up, and some so called "charities" are keeping most of the money for "administrative" expenses. When in doubt, the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army are always safe places to make your donations.

Catherine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users