• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:43 PM

Hi Ann, thank you for the true updates. You have explained the folks in the projects very well.
Excellent report and well stated.
Hang in there my friend wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

#32 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(Ann and Ken @ Sep 3 2005, 08:51 AM)

--snip--

The ugly scab of poverty has been ripped off for all the world to see.
90% of N. O. is poor, three generations of welfare and non education . 
N.O. IS a third world country.
Maybe that child being taken out of there and looked at by the world MAYBE in the long run will have a chance to see and feel a new way of thinking about education and work and have a better future.

What you are seeing in the press is only a drop in the bucket.

Ann

View Post

Actually, I have to take exception to this statement. It may seem like New Orleans was suffering and backwards, but it actually was far better off than that. True, the poverty level was high, but not even close to 90%. According to the 2000 Census, 27.9% of the New Orleans population was living at the poverty level. The unemployment level prior to the hurricane was very good, at 4.9% in July 2005. And, the education level was not as bleak as you say. In 2000, 74.7% of the population over age 25 had a high school education and 25.8% had a bachelor's degree or higher. Homeownership rate was just under 50%, with the median prices of homes slightly above the national average.

If that city HAD been so illiterate and filled with uneducated, the workforce could not have supported the industries that had established themselves in New Orleans. Even with bringing in qualified labor from other locations, businesses will always look to the quality of the local labor force before they relocate or establish a major operation. If New Orleans didn't have the job talent necessary to support the aerospace, service, tourism, and oil and gas industries, businesses would have long ago moved their sites somewhere else along the Gulf Coast.

Certainly there was room for improvement, but the picture was nowhere near as bad as what our international friends are now believing about New Orleans and its residents.

Catherine

#33 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(VEGAS LADY @ Sep 3 2005, 03:33 PM)
In Britain our British press are famous for giving a good all round representation. They have to do this by law otherwise the news channels that they work for can be fined a large amount of money.

--snip--

Margaret

View Post

Margaret,

The Brits have been are dearest and most loyal friends, standing by us in our toughest times. Such allies are truly to be treasured. But when it comes to America and fair coverage, your press is another story. Just do a Google search for "BBC bias" and you will come up with nearly 600,000 hits! Here's a good site: Biased BBC.

I hope you read other sources about this disaster in addition to your own local news if you want to get the full picture. Then maybe you will understand that defenses could not be put in place to protect from a storm of this magnitude. Just like you cannot spare a city from an atomic blast! The damage is going to happen. And if people choose not to evacuate, as so many did, then it just compounds the problems of trying to locate and rescue them afterwards. Even if levees had been built up higher, all it takes is one little breach, and the whole thing fails, flooding the city. No plan is 100% guaranteed disaster proof, especially when you're hit nearly head on with Hurricane Katrina!

Kindest Regards from Texas,
Catherine

#34 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:09 PM

I am sorry you take exception to my words but I was only speaking from 30 years of living here( we are still newcomers) . I do not have all the "facts" and " figures " but you have to understand the complete frustration we feel here. We are stunned, shellshocked whatever you want to call it and I spoke out of that pain and not as accurate as I should be on the social condition of N.O.

My information of what is happening now mostly comes from Ken as he has been down there everyday and comes home a different man than I use to know. Ken is an Engineer and has been warning for years as has others that the levee would break .

This did not have to happen.( that is a fact) The kids and pets suffer while the adults argue.

I am sorry ( once again ) for saying anything .

We got our power back today . Most folks on our street slept outside last night, Helicopters continue all night overhead , misquitoes are raging. All the food I found Fri. went into the trash today.

But Ken & I are very blessed just grumpy. smile.gif

Ann

#35 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:40 PM

Hello Catherine, Tonight we had an extended News Programme which came directly from New Orleans. We also received the same news programmes
which you are watching now. The same people, the same reporting. Not
just the British Newscasting. Be assured we are receiving an all round
coverage of what is happening i.e. the same as yourselves.

On my stay in New Orleans which was in the early 70's, I loved the place. The food, the atmosphere, the people, everything! I was told at the time not to wander around on my own, but I ignored the advice and encountered no problems.

I have always said that I looked forward to returning. I only wish I had
done so sooner....

Take care and please understand that we are not 'against you' but just asking
questions which, from the news, you are all asking too.......

Edited by Jacqueline, 04 September 2005 - 03:06 PM.

#36 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:49 PM

Ann,

I completely understand your emotions. In fact, feeling shellshocked is a common among people who have suffered great losses in a disaster, or even those who have just witnessed it. Be prepared to see those who have lost so much go through some very intense, and often unpleasant, emotions. It is very difficult.

The churches in my city, the shelters, even old closed retirement homes are filling to capacity with the homeless from New Orleans. We are wiping out the local supplies of flip-flops at Walmart to give them some foot coverings, and donations of food and clothing are pouring in. So too are job offers. A lot of these people will end up staying here, absorbed into the Texas communities that gave them refuge. It will be a long time before New Orleans is inhabitable and has jobs to offer.

I'm glad you got your power back on. I hope you get your life back to something like normal soon.

Catherine

#37 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

Hello Ann,

Some of the Brits that were trapped inside the Super Dome managed to get home today ( a kind army officer took pity on them and got them out ) all had stayed together for safety taking it in turns to sleep.

From the brief interviews that they have given most are telling the same story as you.

I do hope that things get better for you soon, just to have your power on must be a blessing, do take care and look after yourself.

Margaret

#38 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

Jacky,

I know that you are "not against us" and that you have lots of questions. The media is largely fueling questions, some of which are just plain ludicrous, like "how could this have been prevented?" That is like asking how do you spare a city from getting damaged from an atomic blast! They focus on the criminals, the poor, those blaming the government. The media is real good at picking out problems or focusing blame, but they don't like to point out things like, in this country, it is not the Federal Government's responsibility to put ALL safety measures in place prior to a disaster. Preparedness is the job of local and state governments. The Federal Government works with those local and state governments in flood control, but you are dealing with a city that sits below sea level. Those levees wouldn't have withstood a full-force cat 4 hurricane.

But it makes for a good news story to put the New Orleans Mayor on the air blasting the Feds, doesn't it, even though it was HIS responsibility to evacuate the city before the storm! Why didn't he get every bus available, take them into the projects and get those people out before the hurricane hit? Instead, the tv shows a sea of school buses under water! Why did so many people ignore the order to get out of town? Now they are the ones angry at the government and prime fodder for the news reporter hungry for an interview!

If you rely on reporters for your information, you will get a slanted view of what is really happening, with a lot of misplaced blame and fingerpointing. When you hear those questions and that blaming, stop and remind yourself, that this was a category 4/5 hurricane with winds of 145mph that hit nearly head-on. It was a NATURAL disaster, like the tsunami. The major differences are (1) that we had advance warning and (2) this disaster is ongoing...the flood continues, so the cleanup and repairs cannot. That will cause anger, frustration, and more blame. Watch out...it's coming.

Catherine

#39 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for your explanation Catherine! Stay safe and

Take care.......

Edited by Jacqueline, 04 September 2005 - 04:34 PM.

#40 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:10 PM

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for electricity!!!!!!!!!!!
Hang tight you're in my thoughts and prayers wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
Hugs & Kisses

#41 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:07 PM

[B]
Ann, thank you for your very local reports. It must be really terrible for you but be proud that you have a husband who is making a difference and know that we are proud of you.

From Australia, best wishes to you both.

Karen. smile.gif

#42 Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:24 AM

Ann,

Thanks for the updates. I know they come from the heart, and for that, I am truly grateful you are willing to share it with us.

And all the best to Ken for all his efforts in helping his company during this difficult time.

Take care, Jeanette

#43 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

Today seems to be a better day ( or we are getting use to the Chaos).

A family is arriving tonight to stay with us.
Found some low-carb ice cream and had it for breakfast. wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
My birds are getting use to the small cage we put them in if we have to leave.
Kitties are back to "care less" attitude so all is right in the world according to them.

Can't watch much TV with everyone pointing fingers and jumping up and down. They need to save all that energy for rebuilding. IMHO.

Thanks everyone for all your support. It really does make a difference .

Ann

#44 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:49 PM

Ice cream for breakfast! Yum!! smile.gif Well, Ann, if your kitties are settling down, hopefully things will improve for you and Ken soon, too. I hope so.

Take care,
Catherine

#45 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:43 AM

Hi Ann,
I want you to know there are millions of people who care about the victims of Katrina. Up in Buffalo, NY where my family lives, TV stations are collecting bottled water and nonperishable food. Here in DC, the DC Armory is getting ready to house some displaced people and food, clothing, etc. is pouring in for them. Baltimore is doing the same. The college I work for is having a collection drive on Friday and Saturday and trucking it down on Sunday. I've got goods to donate, and have contributed to help the abadnoned pets at www.hsus.org, www.noahslist.org and www.nsalamerica.org.
Although our government may have failed in its responsibilities, there are millions of people volunteering and helping out of their own pockets. When you have a "down" moment, please remember we are with you in spirit and doing whatever we can.
If you need anything and can tell us how to send it, please let us know.
Ar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users