#16 Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:46 AM

Ann,

I'm so glad you and Ken are fine and that you were able to find time to give us an update.

I had no idea that Ken works for Shell. I happen to work for an oil company too and we have a refinery in New Orleans where many of our employees families have been impacted by all of this.

If you have any ideas as to what we can do to help, please let us know. Woody has done so well with his fundraiser. And, in the meantime, I will be making donations thru the Red Cross and Salvation Army.

Stay well and stay in touch when you can.

Take care, Jeanette

#17 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:08 AM

Ann,
Is there an organization that helps with the animals that I can send money to?
Ar

#18 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:05 AM

Had to write again as the TV coverage of New Orleans makes it look as though it has decended into hell on earth! I can understand people getting desperate but it looks like the lunatics have taken over. It must be awful to be in the middle of all that after surviving the storm.
Why were they so unprepared was it just a case of 'maybe it won't hit us' or did the polititians not want to spend money until they had to?

#19 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:14 AM

Well said Nancy,

that is exactly what I feel, I know we are seeing bad press over

here in England, but it is all too little too late in my mind.

I love the States, and have been visiting every year for 30 years now, but when a

disaster like this has happened, why wait five days before any control in the

streets, it is not a third world country.

Elly.

#20 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:51 AM

I feel like a war reporter.
Reporting from Baton Rouge ----

Helicopters fly overhead day and night , rattles the walls.
Rumors and panic fill the streets.
Overcrowding of everything .
Gas VERY hard to find.
Food can be found if you search and are not to picky.
Troops everywhere .
Phone service iffy.
Banks are just now coming on line.
Can't go out alone at night.

Ken has been working day and night at Shell trying to get it back on line so America can have Gas. He still has not found all of his employees.
Shell is sitting up trailers and assistance for those they can find but with no communcations it is hard. When you complain about high gas prices stop and think about NO gas. I would gladly pay the $6.00 a gal. just to get it.

We still have power but some days it goes off.

Some good will come out of this.

The ugly scab of poverty has been ripped off for all the world to see.
90% of N. O. is poor, three generations of welfare and non education .
N.O. IS a third world country.
Maybe that child being taken out of there and looked at by the world MAYBE in the long run will have a chance to see and feel a new way of thinking about education and work and have a better future.

What you are seeing in the press is only a drop in the bucket.

Ann

#21 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE(Nancy @ Sep 3 2005, 04:05 AM)
Had to write again as the TV coverage of New Orleans makes it look as though it has decended into hell on earth! I can understand people getting desperate but it looks like the lunatics have taken over. It must be awful to be in the middle of all that after surviving the storm.
Why were they so unprepared was it just a case of 'maybe it won't hit us' or did the polititians not want to spend money until they had to?

View Post

Nancy,

This was a Category 5 Hurricane in the Gulf. It was a Category 4 Hurricane when it hit New Oleans and the Gulf Coast. It is the WORST natural disaster this country has ever seen. Why does everyone assume you can just pick up from something like this and go on? New Orleans is virtually destroyed. Imagine a major city in your country virtually destroyed. The media has shown what it wants to show...the worst...the looting...the depravity. But MOST of the people affected are peaceful. They are tired, hungry, in shock, but PEACEFUL.

You ask if they were unprepared. To a degree they were. The Corps of Engineers didn't design the levees to withstand a hurricane of this magnitude. Consequence...the levees failed. The mayors of the affected cities ordered evacuations. But obviously a good percentage of the population ignored the order (I'm not referring to those that went to the Superdome or other shelters...I mean the ones that stayed in their homes or apartments.) Then after the storm hit, the levees broke, flooding the city. The water has had nowhere to go. You see people still walking through water chest deep. That is a major roadblock to aid. Roads have been washed out along with bridges. Debris is everywhere. And so to is water. It is hard to get vehicles in when the city is still flooded. And it is hard to maneuver boats larger than flat bottom boats through the area.

It's easy to blame politicians. But it is mother nature who has wreaked the havoc. Nobody expects a storm to destroy your city. Nobody.

Catherine

#22 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

Animal News.

SPCA and the local Pet rescue folks are now going by boat to houses and breaking in and trying to recsue the pets. It is a horrilbe task and may only save a very small %.

Check with your local SPCA and see if they have a national number for you to contribute.

Ann

#23 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:37 AM

Nancy you are right about the luniatics taking over.

Some of the ones that stayed behind were the drug gangs and addicts.
They didn't want to leave their drugs or give up "territory".

Now they have no "supply" and are going crazy looking for a "fix".

A small percentage but looks good on TV. For everyone of those there are thousands of us trying to help.

Ann

#24 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:26 AM

For the animals:
The Humans Society of the United States
Best Friends

#25 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:57 AM

" I feel like a war reporter.
Reporting from Baton Rouge" ----

Dear Ann and Ken,

Thank-you for your honesty and well written post, when I said

it is not a third world country, I meant the U.S.A. not N.O. , but as you so rightly

say N.O. IS a third world state which has much poverty.

As far as what we see in the press, you say (is just a drop in the bucket) and I

believe you, what a shame it has come to this.

Too many people bury their heads in the sand!

Elly.

#26 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:32 AM

Everyone should keep in mind where they are getting their information from. Newsreporters are notorious for slanting stories the way they want them portrayed. Get your information from as many sources as possible and you will get a truer picturer of what is actually happening with this disaster.

New Orleans is not a third world state and never has been. It is a beautiful city with a rich, historic past. Yes, it has its poor. But the poor in America can't compare to the poor in any other country. Travel around and see the poor in other countries. The "poor" in the US are wealthy compared to those others.

Is having "poor people" and criminals enough to qualify a city as a third world state? If so, all our cities, in every part of the world, qualify!!!!

Catherine

#27 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(thomcat57 @ Sep 3 2005, 11:32 AM)
Everyone should keep in mind where they are getting their information from.  Newsreporters are notorious for slanting stories the way they want them portrayed.  Get your information from as many sources as possible and you will get a truer picturer of what is actually happening with this disaster.

New Orleans is not a third world state and never has been.  It is a beautiful city with a rich, historic past.  Yes, it has its poor.  But the poor in America can't compare to the poor in any other country.  Travel around and see the poor in other countries.  The "poor" in the US are wealthy compared to those others. 

Is having "poor people" and criminals enough to qualify a city as a third world state?  If so, all our cities, in every part of the world, qualify!!!!

Catherine

View Post

Catherine,

I was only making comment about being a third world state, by reading the comments from Ann and Ken, as they live quite close I believe.

Maybe if you took the time to read their post you could understand where I am
coming from.

Please don't think we are all stupid to the fact that we don't know what is going on in the rest of the world.
Elly.

#28 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:33 PM

In Britain our British press are famous for giving a good all round representation. They have to do this by law otherwise the news channels that they work for can be fined a large amount of money.

I have watched the news from N.O. over the last few days, not only have we seen people in distress begging for food and water, people looting and people banding together for safety, we have also seen the good work that the Salvation Army and the Red Cross are doing....in other words a good cross section of the situation.

The British people are far from stupid......We know that America is a very large country compared to ours and we certainly do know that it is not a third world state,( most of the British people hold a passport and a lot of us travel to third world countries like India so we do know the difference, the Brits are the most travelled nation that there is) you would be suprised at the amount of Brits that look up to the Americian way of life.

In all our large cities we have a very small cross section of people that will always take the law into their own hands these people are the lowest of the low, looting for food and water is one thing ( I would do this myself in order to keep my family alive ) Looting for luxury goods is totally out of order.

The one thing that most of the British people are asking......is why oh why were defences never put in place, yes we know that it would have cost millions of dollars
but after all these are people's lives.

Never ever think that the British people don't know the magnitude of this situation, or how much money it will take to rectify it
so many of us wish that we could help.

ANN I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU......EDUCATION IS THE KEY TO EVERYTHING

Margaret

#29 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:07 PM

I believe it is possible to picture this in a simple way.

Take any major (500,000 plus) city in any country in the world. Cut off all services and access by flooding 80% of it from kneedeep to 20' deep. Leave 20% of the population in place. Remember that this basically happened overnight.

Now tell me honestly if you think everyone in that city could receive the aid they would need within 5 days. In any country in the world.

This has been a once in many lifetimes storm made terrible by the fact that New Orleans was below sea level. We think our government and rescue people have done a great job so far dealing with a horrible situation and that our own news people have made things (and the worlds' opinion) of us worse (as always) by focusing mainly on the things that get their programs watched and papers read.

Hopefully this will never happen again but it may. Nature has a way of upsetting the best laid plans and it is impossible to be prepared totally for anything she (nature) can throw at us.

Ann and Ken, we feel so sorry for you because you live within easy running distance from New Orleans. Your situation has to be terrible right now.

Don

#30 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:36 PM

Ann-
Thank you so much for your reports as I really do appreciate everything you have posted. If possible please continue to post us anything you can as I would rather hear about it from you rather than from various US news sources. If you can't I can perfectly accept that. The important thing is taking care of yourselves, your pets and anything/anybody else which is important to you. I figured Ken would have his hands more than full when Katrina passed over, but am glad you both are safe and OK. Thanks on letting us know about the household pet situation as I hold this very dear to my heart. I also know there are quite a few pet and animal lovers on this board.

Hugs and continued prayers to you both Ann and Ken,
Gigi

Thanks Don for your above post. Agree with what you said and the points you made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users