118 replies to this topic

#106 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:03 PM

Sorry Sandra,

I would like to meet up with other collectors but am very shy about meeting new people . It's sometimes daunting talking to people you have never met face to face before.

I didn't mean to ignore your post and I do like vegemite sometimes. (if that counts?) dry.gif dry.gif

#107 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:23 PM

No apologies necessary, Annette. I don't take offence that easily!! Actually, I feel the same way and that's why I think a proper convention is a better excuse for a get together for us shy types !! cool.gif

I think we can all cross the vegemite off the list and settle for prawns on the barbie instead. What do you say to that? biggrin.gif

#108 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:30 PM

Sandra

No I am certainly not offended and your post is correct , everyone needs to do their own thing.

I was just saying the folks in Eurpoe wanted to have a meeting ( not just to see us, I am not that vain, LOL) of collectors of solids and that is how it worked out.

IPBA ( International Perfume BOTTLE Association) being mostly interested in bottles ( we have gone to many of their conventions) we didn't see any reason to plan on going to their convention since our interest is in the solids. And the timing was off.

WE are very glad everyone had a good time in London just as we had a very good time in Europe .

Sorry if you took what I said wrong but we are solid people ( no pun intended) not bottle people. smile.gif

Ann

#109 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:44 PM

smile.gif Ann, thanks for clarifying - to be honest, I didn't realise what IPBA meant . . . totally ignorant I must be!! I am a solid person too, not a bottle person . . . . I'm glad you cleared that up - I might have gone there under false pretences!!

So I guess we're all OK then. cool.gif

I'm glad you weren't offended as I thought you might have been.

(Everyone can stop saying sorry to me now!!) wink.gif

#110 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:03 AM

Hello Ann..... smile.gif

This year when I joined the IPBA, like you, I thought it would be just all about perfume bottles. Being a solid person and not a bottle person I did wonder how I would go on and if the meeting would interest me.

Just how wrong could I be....... ohmy.gif Yes there was a marvellous array of perfume bottles and I can now tell a Lalique from an Avon... laugh.gif

Many of the dealers had other things to sell including jewelery and joy of joy to me old powder compacts.... wub.gif

What did surprise me was the amount of solids on show, this now seems to be a growing interest overhere in England and the market for them seems to be developing at a fast rate, Jacky and I both took our solids book with us and they were well looked through.....some people made the comment that they did not know that some of the older solids existed, so of course all the solid collectors educated the bottle collectors and visa- versa.

I came away from the convention feeling that I had gathered a lot of information on perfume bottles and with hope that I had passed on the joy of collecting solids

Margaret......

#111 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:21 PM

Lets see, I started going to IPBA in the early 90's and I attended about every convention until 2003. Originally I was and still am a perfume bottle collector. But also like many others I have a cross collection of solid perfumes.
I have not been able to go to the last two conventions.
Throught the years I met Woody and Lenore and others who collect both bottles and solids.

I CAN TELL YOU THAT ESTEE LAUDER MADE A SPECIAL VIEWING FOR THEIR SOLIDS AT THE FIRST DALLAS CONVENTION AND FLORIDA CONVENTION.
At the Florida convention we were the first to obtain Americas Apple.

I have also listened to a presentation by an Estee VP on two different occasions and another by an Exec. on a third.

Since the late 90's there have been many people from all over the world who attended and brought with them Estee solids from Europe and other brands. Myra Pons(may have misspelled that one) is one that comes to mind.

The US IPBA is a great experience and it concerns everything perfume related. NOT JUST BOTTLES. There are also a wide selection of powder compacts with Roslyn Gerson in attendance on a few IPBA conventions.

IF YOU EVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO ATTEND DO SO. I DO NOT THINK YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

Edited by Ron, 28 October 2005 - 03:27 PM.

#112 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:55 AM

Wow!!!!

I am now catching up on all that I have missed whilst taking my vacation in Florida, and it sounds as though I have missed an awful lot of FUN!!!!!

First I would like to say "Where is your HALO Jacky" or did it slightly tilt after all those G&T's while at the convention? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

It sounds to me as though YOU and your fellow E.L. team, gave all our friends from overseas a BASH that they will remember, I am only crying my eyes out that I was not there to share it with you BOO HOO!

I hope that next time we have one here OR Europe, that everyone can meet up together, after reading all the mail we will have to give advance warning to Ann and Ken and others so that they too can join in all the Jollies that you provided, seems a shame that they missed it all just for a couple of weeks.

Never mind, I am pleased everything went well for you, and that it was a success for everyone that attended.

Elly

#113 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:37 AM

HELLO ELLY, NICE TO SEE YOU BACK HERE SAFE AND SOUND AFTER THE
RAVAGES OF ''WILMA''

We really missed you and Nancy not being around for the event, but next
year's will be BIGGER and BETTER so all the solid perfume, compacts, bottles
and anything to do with perfume, Collectors who will be able to make it,
a good fun time is predicted!

By the way Elly, what Halo? The only Halo I know, is CleanHalo on Ebay,
but unfortunately I do not have his solids! Well I could make a pun there,
but ohmy.gif

Good to have you back on our side of the ocean! smile.gif

#114 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:02 PM

Hi Jacky,

I am glad to be back in Blighty, although the holiday was just what I needed.

As far as the "HALO" is concerned, after reading all these glowing comments for you, I am surprised you manage to get in your front door......... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

On a serious note "Well Done " to all the team that put on this special event, and hope that when we have one again it will be just as successful, and hopefully more E.L. solid collectors............I sure will be there next time!!!!

Take care all,
Elly.

#115 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

HI ELLY....... smile.gif

IT WOULD BE SO GOOD IF YOU AND NANCY COULD JOIN US FOR THE CONVENTION NEXT YEAR, EVERYONE HAD FUN AND A LOT OF INFORMATION ON SOLIDS AND PERFUMES WAS EXCHANGED.

WE DID HAVE A SLIGHT PROBLEM WITH JACKY'S "HALO"..... BUT WE JUST BENT HER HEAD BACK WHEN SHE WANTED TO PASS THROUGH A DOORWAY........ laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

REGARDS.......Margaret

#116 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Margaret,

I will be there next year no stopping me, and if we can get Nancy away from the gambling tables of Vegas I am sure she will be there too. wink.gif

Do you think Jacky will be running the show next year!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

May I say a big thank-you to Charlotte and Jacky for their photo's of the convention, I now can put faces to people, maybe that would be a good idea for the S.P. sight that we all took a photo of ourselves and had it with our info.

Could you tell me the last photo in Charlotte's collection would that be Troy with Woody Jacky and Margaret?You all look as though you had a great time.

Warmest regards,

Elly.

#117 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:34 PM

HI ELLY......

YES THAT IS ME, JACKY, WOODY AND TROY, THE LADY WITH THE LONG DARK HAIR IS SOPHIE FROM PARIS.

CHARLOTTE TAKES SUCH GOOD PICTURES.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE THERE NEXT YEAR.... biggrin.gif

Margaret

#118 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

Thanks Margaret,

it is good putting names to faces, nice to know who you are talking to, and can't wait now till the next convention.

Can we bring it forward!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Elly.

#119 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:10 PM

Better late than never as I am still catching up with things on the site. I did want to say however thanks for all the reports and photos from the convention. Perhaps next year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users