• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:22 PM

[COLOR=purple]Good luck to all of you with the hurricane...our thoughts are with you.

#17 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:48 PM

Hi Ann & Ken,
I just saw the Katrina news. 90 miles from NO isn't to far. I'm glad you're gettin' out. You are in my prayers. Sounds like you have everything down to a good plan.
Now, for the quick getaway with the solids. Mine are in vitrines one wall, two free standing I'd just pick em up and put em in the wagon. Along with my cats and my glasses.
Take care and get outta town.

#18 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:02 AM

My prayers are with everyone in Katrina's path. Ann & Ken, I hope you will be safe. Let us hear from you when the storm passes.

As for what I would save, hmmm, that's tough. But, I'd have to start with my kittys, then my solids:

Pink Collector's Egg with tassel
Cinderella Coach
Lady Liberty
Bird in Bloom
Sparkling Mermaid
Roulette Wheel
Cat's Meow (Pink Cat on Silver Pillow)
1983 Christmas Cameo
1984 Golden Cameo
1986 Ivory Series Sleeping Cat

Catherine

#19 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:54 PM

I would save my kids and dog.

#20 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:59 PM

After seeing this horrific mess I would just grab the kitties and some clothes and drive as far and as fast as I could.

#21 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:58 PM

Yep - I would've been out of there when the evacuation notices were given . . . still, it's easy to say that when you may have family or friends and the finances to be able to do this with.

I think of the city I am in and realise that whilst the financially stable and able would be able to 'escape', there would be many of thousands left behind who may not have had the same options. I don't want to start an argument or heated debate, but I guess they are deemed that they have 'chosen' to stay when their real options may have been limited. Where do you go if you have no means?

For those able to 'drive' away, you are blessed.
For those able to 'fly' away, you are blessed.
For those able to 'hurricane proof' their homes, you are blessed.
For those able to help others - you are a blessing!

I hope and pray and watch from afar that the people of New Orleans will be able to regenerate their city and spirit in time to come, like any place in the world who have faced adversity from Mother Nature or otherwise. It's very sad what has happened and the way some people have reacted to it.

#22 Eggcentricity

Eggcentricity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:21 PM

Amen Sandra. My sister Barbara & brother in law Geoffry are in the Atlanta area. 5000+ have arrived there so far in need of help. Geoff is a Red Cross volunteer and working long hours but very glad to be helping. Poor Barb broke her wrist (freak accident) and had to wait over 5 hours in ER for a doctor but she's such an angel she wouldn't complain and says it is not so bad just a simple fracture - said she feels lucky. Guess we who are out of it really are fortunate. Count your blessings, kiss your kids, thank your lucky star. Dorothea

QUOTE(Sandra @ Sep 5 2005, 05:58 PM)
Yep - I would've been out of there when the evacuation notices were given . . . still, it's easy to say that when you may have family or friends and the finances to be able to do this with.

I think of the city I am in and realise that whilst the financially stable and able would be able to 'escape', there would be many of thousands left behind who may not have had the same options.  I don't want to start an argument or heated debate, but I guess they are deemed that they have 'chosen' to stay when their real options may have been limited.  Where do you go if you have no means?

For those able to 'drive' away, you are blessed.
For those able to 'fly' away, you are blessed.
For those able to 'hurricane proof' their homes, you are blessed.
For those able to help others - you are a blessing!

I hope and pray and watch from afar that the people of New Orleans will be able to regenerate their city and spirit in time to come, like any place in the world who have faced adversity from Mother Nature or otherwise.  It's very sad what has happened and the way some people have reacted to it.

View Post

#23 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:47 AM

As far as getting out it really isn't that easy, there are lots of things to think of like:

leaving too early and driving directly into the storm if it at all wobbles.

By the time evacuation orders are given everyone at that point wants to get out and the highways are backed up for miles (especially in Florida with one way out driving) and then gas starts to run out all over.

Pets are not allowed in any shelters and most hotels and we would never leave our two 85 pound Dobermans for anything! Our dogs would never be able to handle the stress of flying so basically we stay.

user posted image

#24 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:56 AM

I love your dogs, Lisa. I miss my german shepherd terribly. I lost her almost 2 years ago at age 15. Whenever I've had to travel with my animals, I just never tell the hotels that I have pets. If I do, they naturally turn me away. My animals are good, and are usually tired and stressed out from the ride. They just find a place near or under the bed and sleep. It works out good for everyone.

There was one time, though, I overslept, and the maids saw me sneaking out my 2 cats and my mother's 2 cats. I don't think any of them wanted to go in and clean my room! (It was clean, though...no pet accidents).

I wouldn't leave my pets behind either. They are family! wub.gif wub.gif

Catherine

#25 Jory

Jory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:00 PM

Lisa, I LOVE that picture. All three of you are BEAUTIFULl!

Yes, last year many from Tampa evacuated to Orlando area, storm changed and they had more damage than Tampa. We would also stay, we are on 7th floor of concrete building. I also could not leave my 5 lb, 16 year old yorkie.

Thanks for the great picture. Jory

#26 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

Love the Photo of the pups but what do I spy in the background???? EL boxes??
Do they stay behind??? laugh.gif laugh.gif
With enough notice you could put them( solids) in the mail and send them to safety. smile.gif

WE had a long debate on leaving and we decided we could not put the pets on the road in the traffic for hours on end and decided to stay . There are still folks in N.O. that refuse to leave their homes because of the pets.
I really think when this is over pet owners should have a plan on getting the pets out FIRST before the traffic and have a place for them to go. If it is a false alarm so be it .

We are in the future going to take them out of harms way early because to stay is to terrible if you get hit. WE now have a good plan and will not stay if there is a storm in the gulf.

Lisa -- your pups could come here but the last time folks from Florida came to stay to get away from a hurricane it hit Fla. then came sad.gif here.

Ann

#27 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:55 PM

Thanks everyone!

Ann, good eye, they are EL boxes but have not yet made it upstairs to my closet for storing.

In part of being prepared for a hurricane we purchased a very large safe where all my solids would fit, I would only save the boxes for my top five solids.

As far as my dogs and staying with other people or having other people stay with us it just can't happen, my dogs are very aggressive towards other people and animals. We didn't train them to be like that they just are but thanks for offering. smile.gif

#28 Queenie

Queenie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:25 PM

Lisa,
You and your dogs are welcome here in Ohio anytime! biggrin.gif
Of course, I must tell you my Shih Tzu, Sunshine is very aggressive
also she is the boss around any other dogs.
Such a lovely photo of the three of you. I understand your idea to weather the storm so to speak.
I told Jerry we would go to the basement if anything happened here, then I realized we don't have any items to survive on in the basement accept yard sale items. Ha! Ha!

#29 poodle

poodle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:49 PM

The picture of Lisa and her dogs is great, she is beautiful.

I would just grab my 5lb poodle Louie Louie and leave!

I am glad I did not buy all the new solids and powder compacts yet.
I have sent my compact money and more to the Katrina victums and the Katrina pet rescue.

#30 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:30 PM

Nice to hear, Poodle. You are selfless and caring to do that . . . and you know that the solids will always be there but time is running out for some of the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Such a devastating loss of not only lives, but livelihoods, homes, families and lifetime sentiments for hundreds of thousands of people in a fairly large area. And their plight seems to be continuing and getting worse instead of better!

We feel for them and their situation and count our blessings every day. Yes - they need our money more than we need the solids at the moment! Good on ya, Poodle!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users