Photo

What's Your Solid Spending Budget Like This Year?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: What's is you solid spending budget this year?

What's is you solid spending budget this year?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:07 AM

What's everyones spending budget like this year?

I thought it would be interesting to add this new poll.

#2 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

I spent less......so far. It's hard to hold back, but when you see rock bottom prices on ebay and the CCS discounts I force myself. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#3 Printerslady

Printerslady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:59 AM

Well, the year's not up yet. I have yet to check out the Jay Strongwater solids, and will probably pick up a few of those, plus a few of the GDs (got to get a cameo). I bought 14 of the 2004 solids and have 9 of the 2005 solids so far. Plus a few others that I have picked up on Ebay or from private sellers. I'll probably spend close to the same amount as I did last year.

Catherine

#4 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

I'm guessing less this year. So far, the only 2005 solid I bought is the Pagoda.

I will buy all the Harrods (big budget breaker there). Haven't decided on the Vegas ones--like them both. The rest is up in the air. I like the dragon and the Strongwater hairbrush solid, but not sure if I will buy them before January. My mom will buy me a GD for Christmas. That's about it. I've never been the collector that "bought them all" anyway--I'm not fortunate enough financially.

At any rate, I need to be cheaper than ever before = I will buy less. I even greatly reduced the amount I bought on ebay.

#5 Lori B

Lori B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

For me, $0 this year. So, definitely much less.

I just may up the budget for one solid, but that is all.

#6 solidcollector

solidcollector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:54 PM

Hi All,
I amspending a lot less this year! I am only purchasing one from Neimans and one from Saks! I may buy some of the cheaper ones that they sell at Dillards and Dunlaps, but I still haven't decided. It won't take me near as long to pay off my Neimans and Saks credit cards this year!
Gayla

#7 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:27 PM

Ditto - looks like I'm with the majority on this!!! laugh.gif

EL must be feeling this by now!! wink.gif

#8 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:24 PM

My budget is about the same as last year - all of them. I already have all the NMs plus the Saks Romantic Moments and Strongwater Pampered Pup. Will eventually have all the Strongwaters (which by the way I LOVE them).

I am an old lady and want to enjoy them now. If I were 20 years younger I also would be waiting a year or two when the Canadians put their warehouse buys on ebay. Go for it young collectors! You no doubt will get some good bargains for your collections.

Phyllis

#9 Astrid

Astrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:39 AM

My budget is the same this year, too, so I will get them all, except one or two which I do not like. I have the money available because I'm downsizing my mini bottle collection. The money I gain from the sales I invest into solid perfumes. I that was not the case, I would buy only a few, preferred solids, maybe five or six.

BUT I'm in the same opinion like all of you: the solid perfumes are/become too expensive mad.gif .

Astrid

#10 Maddalena

Maddalena

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:27 AM

Good ask Lisa wink.gif (would say Felix)

My budget this year? For my collection surely good cool.gif !!!!! I can say only one, I know next year cerntainly expensive will be wink.gif !!!!!!! We plan next year to go at the IPBA Convention.

Regards

Maddalena

#11 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:00 PM

Since I am not impressed with any of the new solids this year...GD and store exclusives, I will not be buying any solids at this point. I am interested in the EL LV exclusive powder compact...the crystal one with the card suits on it. This one will be lots of $$$$ and I know that I have time to get one.
Right now I am in the midst of a huge master bathroom remodel. Everything becomes relative to the remodel costs. The fact that I do not care for any of the new EL solids...well that's a good thing right now. laugh.gif

RE: EL feeling the pinch of us collectors spending less money on solids...might not be the case. And here's why I say this.

Most of the money is in the designing and creation of the prototype. Then the labor and material costs are figured in to set a retail price on the solids. The manufacturer also factors in number of sales needed to make a profit. So...EL will not lose money on the solids. Also...the retail price is usually a mark-up of 3 to 4 times wholesale or cost of an item. This is evident in the warehouse pricing that EL gives its employees. I would be so bold as to say that the warehouse sales are just more profit for EL...because many of the warehouse items are either returns from the dept stores or items that didn't sell well. Also...we have noticed that there has been a price increase for the solids and less BLING. That is the way that EL can counter lower sales...raise the price but lower the actual production cost of an item. That may be why we have been seeing less crystal on the pieces and the higher prices. The LV sign, we all seem to agree, was high priced for its lack of bling and backside design.
And here's another thought...I dont know if others on the BB have noticed this, but eventually the solids and powder compacts sell at the department stores. So, if the true collectors are NOT buying these anymore, someone out there is still paying full retail price for these items. The sales clerks at the dept. stores (SAKs, Neimans and Nordstroms) dont ever look overly worried that I refuse to buy the stuff at their full retail price. Also...let's keep in mind that cosmetics is a billion dollar a year industry. There is huge mark-up in the stuff. My $6 Revlon lipstick is just a good and pretty as the $22.50 ones that EL sells. So, if Revlon can sell products for $6.00 then the cost to make the stuff has to be around $2.00. All cosmetics companies and ingredients are governed by the FDA and if you read the ingredients on let's say a drugstore version of Loreal skin care and EL ingredients..basically same stuff. Also...mascara...Maybelline is just as good as Lancome and for 1/4 to 1/3 the cost. Sure...the rent for counter space in a dept store has to somewhat higher than self space in a drugstore or Walmart...but the fact of the matter remains...there is HUGE profit in cosmetics.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Edited by 2cute4u2, 07 August 2005 - 02:03 PM.

#12 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:22 PM

Yes - totally agree that the mark-up for cosmetics is extraordinary, like most retail goods. However, I still think there will be an effect as more will be shipped off to the warehouse stores and therefore much less profit. The Sales reps will also feel the pinch and the market for them will die down internationally as well. So they won't be ordering as much either. dry.gif

Say they make a batch of 500 of any solid. At one stage, all or most of them would be sold in retail stores. Gradually this number will dwindles down to 100.
So in percentages, it will go from 100% to 20%. Surely the net profit will be affected and this will be recognised in time. . . . won't it? unsure.gif

#13 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:40 AM

I'm not sure if the S.A's receive commission on the make-up sales but
I am sure they do on their solid perfumes . This will affect them, if so.

On another note, which I will post eventually when all the information is
finalised re the U.K. Chapter of the IPBA Convention to be held in October,
Head Office in London havegone overboard to try and help us. This proves
THERE ARE E.L people who are willing and able to help.
A nice thought
to start the week! smile.gif

Edited by Jacqueline, 08 August 2005 - 01:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users