• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:52 PM

When we lived in Tampa there was a very interesting resturant in Clearwater called the Kapok Tree. If it is still there it is an experience you should not miss. smile.gif

It has a huge tree out front and seats about 1000 people. ohmy.gif

#17 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

ohmy.gif Wow! With that description, I don't think it can be missed!! ohmy.gif

Only 1000 people . . . .gee - must be tiny! laugh.gif

#18 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(Don and Margaret @ Aug 16 2005, 01:52 PM)
When we lived in Tampa there was a very interesting resturant in Clearwater called the Kapok Tree. If it is still there it is an experience you should not miss.  smile.gif

It has a huge tree out front and seats about 1000 people.  ohmy.gif

View Post

Thank-you both I think that I have heard of it, and will certainly go when visiting the area, we do enjoy going to good restaurants, and over the years we have found some really good ones.

Elly.

#19 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:12 PM

Sorry to say that the Kapok Tree bit the dust in the late 80's. It was interesting and the food was above average and was a site to see.

One of the best local resturants is The Lucky Dill off of Alderman Road. Very good New York style Deli.

#20 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:16 PM

Elly
If you are in Orlando Ruth Chris Steak House is excellent. Everything there is
a la carte. Charleys is excellent also but I find their steaks salty.

Nice Quaint area called Winter Park has some nice shops and resturants.

Nothing fancy but above average food Too Jays Jewish Deli

If you go to Daytona Beach make reservations at the Chart House. Excellent.

#21 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:21 PM

These are my favorites if you make it to West Palm Beach

1. 32 East located on Atlantic Ave. in Delray Beach
2. New York Prime in Boca Raton
3. PF Changs on Glades Road in Boca Raton
4. Cavallino on S.Federal in Boca
5. Cafe Bella Sera in Parkland off of 441
6. Cafe Martorano on Oakland Park in Fort Lauderdale (expect to wait 2-3 hours for dinner)
7. Tremonti's on Atlantic Ave. in Delray Beach
8. Can't go wrong with the Cheesecake Factory!

#22 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:56 PM

We're sorry to hear that the Kapok Tree restaurant has closed. As Ron says, it was a sight to see and a one of the kind experience.

As we said in our post, it probably seated about 1000 during the time we were living in Tampa and had extensive gardens with fountains and statues plus 30 foot ceilings in all the public spaces. It kind of reminded us of the Ringling museum center court in Sarasota for any of you that have seen that.

We looked it up on the internet and it is now a music store. ph34r.gif All we can say is it must be a heck of a music store. smile.gif

One thing Florida doesn't lack is good restaurants, though. Some of our favorite places to eat were the Cuban delis, sandwich shops and restaurants in Ebor city (in Tampa). Seemed like there was a family owned deli or bakery on every corner. Don especially love the baked potatoes stuffed with crab meat. tongue.gif (and the cuban sandwiches from the Silver Grill in Ebor City).

#23 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:15 PM

Hi Guys,

Thank-you for all your suggestions for places to eat, I have put them all in my diary ready for our trip in October.

When we visited Winter Park last year Ron, we took the boat on the lakes with two charming senior gentlemen as guides.
When we came back we wondered through a little square off the main cobbled street and found a little French restaurant, it was a family run business and needless to say we stayed there for a little while, eating and drinking with the people who owned it (very good).

We shall definately go to Palm Beach, as we have not done that side of Florida, so will be a whole new experience, we went down as far as Sanibel and Captiva island last year and fell in love with it, stayed there for a few days.

Thank-you all once again.
Elly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users