• 117 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(KK @ Jul 24 2005, 02:26 PM)

Hi Elly,
Well said!
And welcome aboard! biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif

View Post

Thank-you so much for the welcome K.K. I only wish that the World was a better place to live in!

Elly.

#18 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:11 PM

Yes, that tragedy in Egypt just shows how the 'acts of terrorism' are resounding around the world . . . . just shocking news to everyone almost weekly now! I can only hope they don't keep getting more frequent!

I have always wanted to visit Egypt and now it looks like I will be putting it off for another couple of years!! Have been considering holidaying 'domestically' as too many devastations abroad!! I know we all have to continue on in our daily lives etc and not stop these things affecting us, but how can it not? sad.gif

#19 SINNETT

SINNETT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:41 AM

I have just been through some of my old videos and watched the film GHANDI - if ever anyone proved that peace and goodwill would always overcome violence and terrorism it was him.

The world needs to step back, stop being so insular and try doing what is best for EVERYONE.

Caroline

#20 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:59 PM

I was watching coverage of people returning from Egypt and one eye witness said that the bomber drove through the glass front of the hotel and when 'good samaritans' came to his aid, that was when he blew the bomb up. How evil is that?
It seems totally incomprehensible to me that any human being could be so calculating and evil. What kind of people are they?????

#21 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:16 AM

Nancy, your post reminded me of when the IRA were bombing London. I could hear the bombs exploding and I remember people I knew being trapped in the Balcombe Street seige which is in walking distance from here.

At the time of the bomb being exploded at the Hilton Hotel in Park Lane where I had been working as a temporary in the Banqueting Department for a short while, a very good friend missed the explosion by seconds! He was walking through the Lobby and helped the injured afterwards. His eye witness account was horrendous! The year must have been 1975.

It's strange how certain events gradually fade in our minds. Your post, reminded me, and Yes the world has gone mad and I'm afraid to say that I do blame our politicians for allowing so much of it. Here in the U.K. we are a soft touch and it seems to me that anyone can come here and do whatever they please. No wonder so many people are leaving 'our green and pleasant land'!!!!!!!

#22 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:16 AM

Hi Everyone,

after reading your post Jacky, my husband and I were in Knightsbridge the day of the Harrods bombing, and had come out of the same side entrance where the bomb went off, just hours before.

Chilling to think it may have been you, fate does play a big part in life!

We always had the problem with I.R.A. but now we are living in a totally different world, and the U.K. seems to accept everyone unlike U.S.A. Canada, France etc, WHY do we take all these people in, we are a small island compared to the other countries.

I am sure, as everyone else of my age rue the day they shipped Enoch Powell off to Ireland, as the government didn't like his outspoken policies, what a shame that there are not more M.P's of his caliber around now!!

After giving my opinion may I say that I am not racist, and there is good and bad in all walks of life.

Elly.

#23 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:02 AM

Elly, how right you are! I remember one of my sisters was a staunch supporter of Enoch Powell, and that didn't go down very well at the time. He was definitely
a man with foresight. Unfortunately we have a bunch of W............ what that little boy was called at school in your last post, in Government!

I do remember the Harrods bombing. I received lots of calls that Saturday as
my friends and family knew that was where I might be. Fortunately I decided
not to go that day. Thank God you came away unharmed!

Your sentiments and mine are the same. Also those of many, many people I come into contact with. Perhaps our politicians do not live in the real world.
What made me annoyed whilst away from London recently, was hearing our
Prime Minister telling everyone to go about their business and not be worried
on the tube and buses. Well, all I can say to that is, did he forgoe his chauffeured limousine or his bodyguards at home? I doubt it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meanwhile I went to Covent Garden this morning by bus, and the streets
of London were very, very quiet. Next week I have to use the tube every morning, unfortunately, which I am not looking forward to in the least.

Thanks Elly for your post. At least I know there is another one of us
fighting the cause!

P.S. Prior to his death, I was standing at the bus stop at Harley Street, and
noticed Enoch Powell waiting there too. At first I could not place his
face and he must have noticed my looking at him. As he left I smiled
and he raised his hat in acknowledgment. It was a lovely gesture!

Edited by Jacqueline, 01 August 2005 - 10:12 AM.

#24 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:38 AM

Hi Everyone and Jacky,

What a wonderful memory you must have Jacky of Enoch Powell, I watched a documentry on him and he was a very well read person with a marvelous insight to the future, all which has come to fruition.

When I watch the banter on t.v. of politicians in Parliament, I cringe, they just seem like a bunch of schoolboys in a playground........those are the ones that are AWAKE ........... laugh.gif

As for judges that are too old and senile............well there starts another topic!!!

I think that we should start an all female government Jacky, I am sure we could do no worse than our present lot!....... biggrin.gif

Now here is a topic, how about all women leaders?...................or do you think

that there is a Dominatrix (I don't know whether I have spelt this right) in all of us?

Elly.

#25 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:20 AM

" or do you think that there is a dominatrix ( I can't spell it either ) in all of us.

That is so funny Elly laugh.gif

Can I be the judge with the whip ? ohmy.gif

Who will have the handcuffs......SANDRA !!!!!!!! dry.gif

JACKY.... you will look good in the long black leather boots laugh.gif

NOW ARE WE READY TO FORM A GOVERNMENT ????? laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Margaret.....

#26 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:45 PM

Hi Margaret,

I had to laugh when I read your mail, we certainly would add some

colour to this sad old world, I can't quite see me in all the leather though... biggrin.gif

I do hope that I haven't started something that is too risque on here, I might get

a warning mail from Jack and Lisa. rolleyes.gif

Love to all,

Elly.

#27 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:29 PM

Wait for the fireworks when Sandra comes on board! With all the tension riding around in London right now, it certainly is good to have a laugh!

laugh.gif

Edited by Jacqueline, 02 August 2005 - 04:30 PM.

#28 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

Uh-huh . . . . for now, no major comment, I'm just laughing my head off!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Handcuffs indeed! I thought I'd be the one with the whip!! cool.gif

#29 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:40 PM

We have Whips in the House of Lords. Expect you will be the Chief Whip!
Perhaps Elly or Margaret or Nancy can explain the Whips in our Parliament!
tongue.gif

That's a thought for a solid......NOOOOOOOOOO not the whip, but the Houses of Parliament. It would probably be similar to the Harrods Palace. Actually, I
really would like to see Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle.......but that's
another topic.....

Meanwhile.....

wink.gif

#30 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

Just remember Jacky .......when you are traveling on the "tube" next week, I will

have you in my heart and Prayers!!

Wear that leather.... Honey Girl !!

Mimi wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users