• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:09 PM

I forgot to add I would be thrilled with the princess phone, tutu, and ballet slippers~no box~no perfume~just the pretty little solid. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

#32 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(Jacqueline @ Jul 29 2005, 11:56 PM)
Send me your list Sandra.      Perhaps you have a Dragon or two, and even a Carousel!      Thanks smile.gif

View Post

laugh.gif laugh.gif Jacky, I only wish I could be so lucky to be able to send you a list with these on it . . . !!! laugh.gif

What about two beag hugs (empty of course) and a sphinx? I'll swap you these for your Rodney bear MIB! laugh.gif OK, maybe I'll throw in a Lucky Hand too!! laugh.gif

#33 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

Hi All,

I started buying "Beautiful" solids for that reason, it was the perfume

that was paramount not the solid.

Then I diversed and wanted the collections, las Vegas, Circus, Harrods etc, but I

always bought solids full, and would skip past the ones that were empty.

After reading all your letters I can now understand why there are many E.L. solid

lovers that are disillusioned by the sellers on E-Bay.

Elly.

#34 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:33 AM

KK, I am with you there! The Ballet Slippers and the Tutu are so pretty!

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Jacqueline, 03 August 2005 - 03:22 AM.

#35 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:02 AM

Hi it's me again, biggrin.gif

I maybe missing something with this topic, I thought that the whole object was to buy solids with perfume and both boxes intact.

Surely if we buy solids without the perfume, we are no better than the sellers on E-Bay that we are all criticising!

I am begining to feel like others now and maybe sell part of my collection.

Elly.

#36 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:20 AM

Hello Elly,

Some of the older solids are very difficult to find with the perfume and the boxes.
I and many others do the same as Lisa mentioned. If I can find the solid I
want and it does not have any perfume or box, I will still purchase. Then, later
if I am lucky enough to find the same solid complete with perfume and box,
I will sell the earlier one!

I did that with the Red Rose and others. It isn't that I am going out of my way
to find empty solids. These are not solids that have been produced and not filled.
They are older empty solids, some with labels, some not.

Now I am sure this has been mentioned in a previous post (I will have to re-read) but if I come across the tutu or the ballet slippers with perfume, I will buy BUT
when and if I find the same solid MIB, then of course I will buy that one two and
upgrade! I would loathe to have a case full of empty never used solids! As
I think Sandra pointed out in another post, you can always tell if a solid has had perfume, even if it has been cleaned..........

So please don't give up and sell your collection.........unless of course you are selling some that I really, really want!

Seriously Elly, the reasons for selling collections are very varied and personal.
Look upon your solids not only as something to enjoy (which I certainly do) but something as an investment too. THAT IS, OF COURSE, IF THE MARKET ISN'T FLOODED AND THE WAREHOUSE SALES AND EMPLOYEES SHOP SALES ARE
MONITORED AND CONTROLLED!

Now you have got me going! ohmy.gif

#37 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:26 AM

Yes, well said Jacky.

I learn from what I am taught- EL is teaching me that if I wait a year or so I can get solids at a much lower price on eBay or at 20% off in the CCS. At this point I don't care about the box or perfume because the value of a MIB has just been lowered so why waste $$$

EL is also teaching me that my solids will not retain their value so I learned not to pay full price for a solid.

#38 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:31 AM

Well said!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#39 blackvelvette

blackvelvette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:36 AM

My collection really covers the Circus and Mystical Themes. smile.gif I am therefore very keen on

purchasing the Lucky Dragon. But I am wondering if perhaps I too should wait to get it at a lower price

because there is nothing more disheartening than seeing all that

money going down fast and furious because I was impatient. ohmy.gif

On the other hand... I see it everytime I log on to this website and my resolve just weakens rolleyes.gif

#40 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:01 AM

Do whatever is best for you.... some collectors like the solids as soon as they come out, nothing wrong with that. It is in my best interest to wait but that may not work for you and that is A OK! smile.gif

#41 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for enlightening me on this subject, I can understand the point of buying an empty till you find the one that you want.

I know I have paid over the top for some solids and then six months down the line they are drastically reduced, apart from the fact that I wanted them in my collection, I somehow feel that some E-Bayers want a fast buck!

I agree with you all that there seems to be many things going wrong with E.L at present, that is why I have not been buying.

Reading your posts has helped me to understand that maybe it is better to wait for a solid that I really want rather than over bidding on E-Bay.

Thank-you All,

Elly.

#42 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:33 PM

My opinion on the empty solids vs. MIB is that I would rather save my money and buy one MIB. All of the solids I own have the perfume and most have both boxes, just a few are w/o the white outer box. By buying an empty solid first and then buying a MIB solid, I am out more money in the long run, if I can't resell my empty solid for at least what I paid. Then, I am stuck with am empty sold and one that is MIB. I have collected other things in the past and have learned that the closer to original condition the better and the truly rare and coveted MIB pieces generally retain their value and do increase in value as time goes by.
I paid good money for my carrousel and dragon and they are skyrocketing in price as are the slot machine, and roulette wheel..but only if MIB. My ist Harrod's I got at a great price so I made out just by the MIB piece at purchase price.

However, I have no plans to sell these pieces as I really enjoy them.

RE: new solids...I am very hard pressed to buy anything new...I do regret having purchased a few of the newer solds as their value (even MIB) has plumetted due to ebay, etc. So, I wont buy a new piece until I wait out the market and only will buy if I just have to have the piece. And then, I want to get the best price possible so that I feel that I didn't over pay.

I have all of the older pieces I want and have no interest in any of the new pieces...so I guess that I will save lots of $$$$ this year. Or, I will find something else to spend my money on.

Bottom line...collectibles used to be a safe adn solid investment...NOT ANYMORE. There are too many out there and so that fact alone devalues them.

JMHO

#43 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

Here's a thought for everyone... I may get the romantic moments (the Beautiful bottle) but I am going to talk to my rep and let her know that if in 6 months I see them on eBay or at the CCS I am going to return it for full price. If this isn't store policy or can't be done then I will just wait.

We are now seeing the YD bottle being sold less so the same my happen with this one.

What a shame it is coming down to this. We are all here to help and I think our opinions and ideas would make a world of difference but we are ignored. WHAT ARE WE TO DO?

I think Aug 16th is the one year anniversary of our EL conference call- we were told there would be another after the holidays among a lot of others things promised- this will all be entirely under another topic of its own. mad.gif

#44 Sylvia Ray

Sylvia Ray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:10 PM

I too am going to wait. Dont care for any of them this year.

Edited by MissRay, 04 August 2005 - 01:12 PM.

#45 Elly

Elly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

Hi 2cuteforU2,

I think we have the same opinion on solids, I too have all solids MIB, and have just bought the ones I really liked mostly the expensive ones.

I agree with you that although it maybe nice to get a solid albeit (empty) to add to your collection you must be out of pocket by the time you get your MIB, and then maybe no-one wants the empty solid!!!

Like you I prefer to wait for the ones that I want, although the new ones I have seen so far have left me quite uninspired.

Elly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users